PDA

View Full Version : Chapelle's NY Bay Sloop from the Smithsonian?

Fatso The Bagger
02-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi, I am going to build myself the New York bay sloop from Chapelle's "American Small Sailing Crafts" and I have just discovered that some plans are available from the Smithsonian. Now does anyone know what plan-number that boat is/has?

I tried doing a search on this site, but everytime I click "search" I get a blank page, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

Fatso The Bagger
Hi, I am going to build myself the New York bay sloop from Chapelle's "American Small Sailing Crafts" and I have just discovered that some plans are available from the Smithsonian. Now does anyone know what plan-number that boat is/has?

I tried doing a search on this site, but everytime I click "search" I get a blank page, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

Fatso The Bagger

Thad
02-12-2006, 05:09 AM
If that is Laura, New York sloop, the plan # is ASSC-94 (note that is the page #). There seems to be one sheet with lines offsets, detail, sail, spar and rigging. $5 +$5 for processing

Thad
If that is Laura, New York sloop, the plan # is ASSC-94 (note that is the page #). There seems to be one sheet with lines offsets, detail, sail, spar and rigging. $5 +$5 for processing

Thad

Thorne
02-12-2006, 09:56 AM
For searching these forums, use this link -

http://www.handforged.net/wbfsearch/

Thorne

Thorne

Bill Perkins
02-12-2006, 10:18 AM
As Thad said ,ASSC-94 is the plan ID for ordering. But that's based on the fig. # ,the page # is 247 .

Bill Perkins
As Thad said ,ASSC-94 is the plan ID for ordering. But that's based on the fig. # ,the page # is 247 .

Bill Perkins

Fatso The Bagger
02-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Thank you, it is indeed "Laura".

So, all I need to do is get hold of an american cheque from my danish bank, and ask for ASSC-94. Very nice, thank you all.

Thanks for the search link - that's how I had to do it manually. I usually go:

"Search terms" site:woodenboat-ubb.com

The problem is, that it's not really indexed by google very well. A bit hit'n'miss, imo.

Anyways, thanks a bunch you guys smile.gif

Fatso The Bagger

So, all I need to do is get hold of an american cheque from my danish bank, and ask for ASSC-94. Very nice, thank you all.

The problem is, that it's not really indexed by google very well. A bit hit'n'miss, imo.

Fatso The Bagger

Paul Pless
02-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Anyways, thanks a bunch you guys Whoa, you ain't geting off that easy! You're really going to build a full on sand bagger, the 21 footer from ASSC? Awesome! smile.gif :cool: Please keep us updated.

[ 02-13-2006, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

Paul Pless
Anyways, thanks a bunch you guys Whoa, you ain't geting off that easy! You're really going to build a full on sand bagger, the 21 footer from ASSC? Awesome! smile.gif :cool: Please keep us updated.

Paul Pless

Fatso The Bagger
02-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Anyways, thanks a bunch you guys Whoa, you ain't geting off that easy! You're really going to build a full on sand bagger, the 21 footer from ASSC? Awesome! smile.gif :cool: Please keep us updated.</font>[/QUOTE]LOL, sorry tongue.gif

I'm not going to build it full-size, I'm going to build it a bit scaled down. Right now I'm thinking 16-18ft, not quite sure yet - it also depends if I can get the space needed.

In water craft (UK) there's one that is scaled down, but I won't be making it to that finish.

My intention, except for the carbon mast etc. is to make it to the finish of Marco Casavecchia's "stealth dinghy", i.e. epoxy and varnish directly on the mahogany.

This is the one Marco built in 1994:

http://www.classicboat.it/writable/upload/photogallery/immagini/20/_zoom_DSC_4685_web.JPG.

If I have the money, I'll buy a good digital camera and propably make a website, documenting the boat, but I have a feeling I'd rather buy a cheapo camera and spend the money on the boat itself. I don't have much money , though.

Sincerely,

Andre

Fatso The Bagger
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Anyways, thanks a bunch you guys Whoa, you ain't geting off that easy! You're really going to build a full on sand bagger, the 21 footer from ASSC? Awesome! smile.gif :cool: Please keep us updated.</font>[/QUOTE]LOL, sorry tongue.gif

I'm not going to build it full-size, I'm going to build it a bit scaled down. Right now I'm thinking 16-18ft, not quite sure yet - it also depends if I can get the space needed.

In water craft (UK) there's one that is scaled down, but I won't be making it to that finish.

My intention, except for the carbon mast etc. is to make it to the finish of Marco Casavecchia's "stealth dinghy", i.e. epoxy and varnish directly on the mahogany.

http://www.classicboat.it/writable/upload/photogallery/immagini/20/_zoom_DSC_4685_web.JPG.

If I have the money, I'll buy a good digital camera and propably make a website, documenting the boat, but I have a feeling I'd rather buy a cheapo camera and spend the money on the boat itself. I don't have much money , though.

Sincerely,

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

Sincerely,

Andre

Paul Pless
02-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks, that boat is a beauty! I've got bowsprit envy already. Goodluck.

Paul Pless

Paul Pless

Fatso The Bagger
02-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks, that boat is a beauty! I've got bowsprit envy already. Goodluck.Ha ha, yup, I hate to get bowsprit envy :D

Btw, my bowsprit will be in the shape of the original, a flat "board" (I'll laminate it, propably with a wide stripe of koto ("the white wood") down the middle of the mahogany, with a downward bend but to the same dimensions as chapelle's).

Rigging wise, I will be using dead-eyes etc. from www.precourt.ca (http://www.precourt.ca) and modern ropes from Samson or the like.

The deadeyes are black (as standard), and I will be trying to get black UV-covers for the stays etc, so all in all, it will be mostly black/mahogany, with cream sails, and a few "white" (koto) details.

Right now, as we speak, I'm getting calls and calling around for prices of mahogany - it's so close and "real", I'm seriously having the jitters, just by the thought of this - much, much better than sex, lol.

I still need a place, though, but patience, patience - I keep telling myself, that there's no need to feel like this, as I won't be getting anywhere till I get the plans from the smithsonian, and the gougeon brother's book, but I really can't help myself.

Sincerely,

Andre

Fatso The Bagger
Thanks, that boat is a beauty! I've got bowsprit envy already. Goodluck.Ha ha, yup, I hate to get bowsprit envy :D

Btw, my bowsprit will be in the shape of the original, a flat "board" (I'll laminate it, propably with a wide stripe of koto ("the white wood") down the middle of the mahogany, with a downward bend but to the same dimensions as chapelle's).

Rigging wise, I will be using dead-eyes etc. from www.precourt.ca (http://www.precourt.ca) and modern ropes from Samson or the like.

The deadeyes are black (as standard), and I will be trying to get black UV-covers for the stays etc, so all in all, it will be mostly black/mahogany, with cream sails, and a few "white" (koto) details.

Right now, as we speak, I'm getting calls and calling around for prices of mahogany - it's so close and "real", I'm seriously having the jitters, just by the thought of this - much, much better than sex, lol.

I still need a place, though, but patience, patience - I keep telling myself, that there's no need to feel like this, as I won't be getting anywhere till I get the plans from the smithsonian, and the gougeon brother's book, but I really can't help myself.

Sincerely,

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

Sincerely,

Andre

Paul Pless
02-14-2006, 01:14 PM
back home in Alabama, I've got lots and lots of pictures of Annie, the 100+ year old sloop at Mystic, plus the sloops Bull and Bear taken both atr rest and while under sail. PM your email address and I'll be glad to scan them and send them to you when I visit home in a couple of weeks.

Paul Pless
back home in Alabama, I've got lots and lots of pictures of Annie, the 100+ year old sloop at Mystic, plus the sloops Bull and Bear taken both atr rest and while under sail. PM your email address and I'll be glad to scan them and send them to you when I visit home in a couple of weeks.

Paul Pless

Fatso The Bagger
02-14-2006, 01:46 PM
back home in Alabama, I've got lots and lots of pictures of Annie, the 100+ year old sloop at Mystic, plus the sloops Bull and Bear taken both atr rest and while under sail. PM your email address and I'll be glad to scan them and send them to you when I visit home in a couple of weeks.Oh, that'd be awesome (for want of a better, non-teenage word)!!

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

Edit: Just sent you a pm!

Fatso The Bagger
back home in Alabama, I've got lots and lots of pictures of Annie, the 100+ year old sloop at Mystic, plus the sloops Bull and Bear taken both atr rest and while under sail. PM your email address and I'll be glad to scan them and send them to you when I visit home in a couple of weeks.Oh, that'd be awesome (for want of a better, non-teenage word)!!

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

Fatso The Bagger

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

Bill Perkins
02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
A related, but v bottomed boat from the same waters is available from the Smithsonian as well,though from a different book .

Northern Skipjack ( 22' x 8'-3" )
Plan # HVS/VB-072
3 sheets: 3-190
4-191
5-192

Bill Perkins
A related, but v bottomed boat from the same waters is available from the Smithsonian as well,though from a different book .

Plan # HVS/VB-072
4-191
5-192

Bill Perkins

Plan # HVS/VB-072
4-191
5-192

Fatso The Bagger
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks Bill, but unfortunately I can't build more than one, right now smile.gif

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

Andre

Bill Perkins
02-14-2006, 09:34 PM
But Fatso ; one of our important missions here is to collect more plans than we could ever build in our liftimes .

[ 02-15-2006, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Bill Perkins ]

Bill Perkins
But Fatso ; one of our important missions here is to collect more plans than we could ever build in our liftimes .

Bill Perkins

Fatso The Bagger
02-15-2006, 05:51 AM
he he, yeah, in time :)

Andre

P.S. At first I thought you were saying I should buy "Fatso" (The Blagger) - the extreme skimming dish Spirit Yachts build a few years ago - tempting, btw.

Fatso The Bagger

Andre

P.S. At first I thought you were saying I should buy "Fatso" (The Blagger) - the extreme skimming dish Spirit Yachts build a few years ago - tempting, btw.

Fatso The Bagger

Andre

Erasmus B Dragon
02-17-2006, 08:47 AM
fokes hear wuz lukin ta buy stuf frum yer cuntree. Ah betz ya kin sel diz boat fir lotz of kronerz.

Ya mite be abel to git a uzed & gud enuf digicamra prittee cheep sewz ya kin powst pictz.

Erasmus B Dragon
fokes hear wuz lukin ta buy stuf frum yer cuntree. Ah betz ya kin sel diz boat fir lotz of kronerz.

Ya mite be abel to git a uzed & gud enuf digicamra prittee cheep sewz ya kin powst pictz.

Erasmus B Dragon

Fatso The Bagger
02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Man, your "1337" writing skills made that puurrrrty hard to read, methinks.

However, I'm not a pro boatbuilder, nor have I any intention of selling this to anyone if I can help it at all. The money I could or could not make isn't even into consideration. Only the outlay.

I propably will be getting myself a cheapo one, if for nothing else then to be able to document the building methods to the insurance company.

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

However, I'm not a pro boatbuilder, nor have I any intention of selling this to anyone if I can help it at all. The money I could or could not make isn't even into consideration. Only the outlay.

I propably will be getting myself a cheapo one, if for nothing else then to be able to document the building methods to the insurance company.

Andre

Fatso The Bagger

Andre

Fatso The Bagger
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Woopy!

Today I found a place to build it! (still waiting for the smithsonian drawings, though ...). I will commence lofting march 1st.

Time to begin calculating the offsets to metric, and scale them down :D

Andre

Fatso The Bagger
Woopy!

Today I found a place to build it! (still waiting for the smithsonian drawings, though ...). I will commence lofting march 1st.

Andre

Fatso The Bagger
Woopy!

Andre

Paul Pless
02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Woopy!

Congratulations.

Time to begin calculating the offsets to metric, and scale them down
I understand the scaling down part, but why convert the offsets to metric?

Oh yeah, as you continue to update us how 'bout starting a new thread up in Building and Repair.

Paul

Paul Pless
Woopy!

Congratulations.

Oh yeah, as you continue to update us how 'bout starting a new thread up in Building and Repair.

Paul

Paul Pless
Woopy!

Congratulations.

Paul

Fatso The Bagger
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks, and - Ups, yeah, I will do that.

The reason I'm converting the lot to metric is because it will be easier (to me) to do the scaling, buy the timber, cut it out etc.

To me it's quite hard to think 3ft 4inches and 3 eights. The fact that it's using different measurements makes it a bit harder, and more prone to errors (in my head).

I will be posting updates in a thread in the right place when I go at it for real.

Hehe, I'm so happy! tongue.gif

Fatso The Bagger

The reason I'm converting the lot to metric is because it will be easier (to me) to do the scaling, buy the timber, cut it out etc.

To me it's quite hard to think 3ft 4inches and 3 eights. The fact that it's using different measurements makes it a bit harder, and more prone to errors (in my head).

I will be posting updates in a thread in the right place when I go at it for real.

Fatso The Bagger