11-27-2015, 07:26 AM
link in case video does not play for you: https://vimeo.com/118367060

https://vimeo.com/118367060

Jim Mahan
11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fedtp/images/ftcole13.jpg

TMny
11-27-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm not familiar with 'arts' in general (sad to say) , but as concerns film , societies which promote/enable it , have had success in its' development.

I can't imagine living in a country that would promote art during a depression...
why do such when we have free markets !

SMARTINSEN
11-27-2015, 01:21 PM

in the event that I am not the only one who can see naught of the display in the OP, here is the link

ron ll
11-27-2015, 02:04 PM
in the event that I am not the only one who can see naught of the display in the OP, here is the link

Thanks. I was beginning to think it might have been Paul's idea of less is more.

Greg Nolan
11-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm not familiar with 'arts' in general (sad to say) . . ..

I can't imagine living in a country that would promote art during a depression...
why do such when we have free markets !

Our country promoted art and other public ventures because free markets were successful in creating the Great Depression.

Sad to say, some folks seem to have no appreciation of history, or of the fact that they actually live in a country that did promote the Ďartsí in general during the Depression, even if they cannot imagine why -- a complete failure of their imagination and ignorance of our history, I would say.

The government sponsored art projects for the same reason it promoted public work projects -- to provide employment and to provide stimulus to a failed economy. Free markets brought about the Depression and failed to restore prosperity -- free markets delivered to the nation failed banks, massive unemployment, a collapsed agricultural system with the environmental disaster of the dust bowl, a stagnant real estate market dominated by foreclosures, etc. etc. etc.

Public projects such as building the Washington D.C. offices of the Department of the Interior, building the Grand Coulee and Hoover dams and other Civilian Conservation Corps projects, constructing the Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood, fitting out and decorating the Lodge with the arts and crafts of otherwise unemployed artisans and artists, commissioning murals and other art for public buildings such as libraries and post offices, publishing the American Guide Series prepared by the Federal Writers Project -- all were projects on a continuum of activity that helped prime the pump of a moribund economy and gave thousands of citizens an alternative to riding the rails or standing on breadlines.

David G
11-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Nice video. Yes, the Index is an excellent resource. I studied it back in the 70's as part of the Basic Design component of a Cabinetmaking & Furniture Design program. Like much good art, much of it is timeless. Worth perusing... if your library system has a copy.

Jim Bow
11-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Timberline Lodge at Mt Hood is chock full with the work of WPA artists and craftspeople. It's fun to just walk around the place and admire the iron work, and the copper, and wood. Who needs the outdoors when you can have indoors like that.

When we rode ourbikes from Seattle to Spokane, we must have seen a hundred or more WPA logos on bridges, viewpoints, and trailheads. All along HW 2. It seems like every small town had a community center library, or school built by the WPA. And, of course, we passed Grand Coulee Dam.

Thanks Frank!

TMny
12-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Hello Greg Nolan (thanks for a nicely articulated post)

I'm actually Aware of a bit of the government works programs of the Depression era.
In my comment i was somewhat sarcastic in mention of the free market...

The year after i graduated public high school Neil Armstrong skipped on the moon.
At the time i assumed that was normal activity for post-war humans.

But Now ... I cannot imagine living in a country that would , say go to the moon , or do a Manhattan Project.

- T m

John of Phoenix
12-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Our country promoted art and other public ventures because free markets were successful in creating the Great Depression.

Sad to say, some folks seem to have no appreciation of history, or of the fact that they actually live in a country that did promote the ‘arts’ in general during the Depression, even if they cannot imagine why -- a complete failure of their imagination and ignorance of our history, I would say.

The government sponsored art projects for the same reason it promoted public work projects -- to provide employment and to provide stimulus to a failed economy. Free markets brought about the Depression and failed to restore prosperity -- free markets delivered to the nation failed banks, massive unemployment, a collapsed agricultural system with the environmental disaster of the dust bowl, a stagnant real estate market dominated by foreclosures, etc. etc. etc.

Public projects such as building the Washington D.C. offices of the Department of the Interior, building the Grand Coulee and Hoover dams and other Civilian Conservation Corps projects, constructing the Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood, fitting out and decorating the Lodge with the arts and crafts of otherwise unemployed artisans and artists, commissioning murals and other art for public buildings such as libraries and post offices, publishing the American Guide Series prepared by the Federal Writers Project -- all were projects on a continuum of activity that helped prime the pump of a moribund economy and gave thousands of citizens an alternative to riding the rails or standing on breadlines.It's know as the "velocity of money". Stagnant velocity leads to depressions. The 1% sits on their fortunes because they're afraid of losing some of it. FDR implemented programs to get people working and earning wages which were spent which increased the velocity which restarted the economy. Needless to say, WWII was an exponential boost to that velocity.

Michael D. Storey
12-08-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm not familiar with 'arts' in general (sad to say) , but as concerns film , societies which promote/enable it , have had success in its' development.

why do such when we have free markets !The United States has promoted art during good times and bad. If you were familiar with it I reckon that you would have a better shot at understanding that concept.

Michael D. Storey
12-08-2015, 05:59 PM
It's know as the "velocity of money". Stagnant velocity leads to depressions. The 1% sits on their fortunes because they're afraid of losing some of it. FDR implemented programs to get people working and earning wages which were spent which increased the velocity which restarted the economy. Needless to say, WWII was an exponential boost to that velocity.One of the things that FDR did with rich people's money was to get it to where people were poor. He sold bonds and used the money to build the TVA and to electrify the South, among a million other things. That helped to get the economy moving, which generated the revenue needed to repay the bonds.