PDA

View Full Version : How the Uber-rich enjoy Thanksgiving

Norman Bernstein
11-26-2015, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2rCMBK1YE

ron ll
11-26-2015, 11:50 AM
K. and her two sisters buy all the groceries so I have no idea what our dinner will cost for eight people. But I'm guessing several hundred total for all the food and drink. What, maybe $5-$600 for eight?

How much does everyone else spend?

Too Little Time
11-26-2015, 11:57 AM
The uber-rich I know lead more modest lives.

We will have 5 at our house for supper. I get dressing and gravy, and instant mashed potatoes. I think we are having some type of pork. Overall not more expensive than any other day at home. Cheaper than when we do take out for 5.

Edited to add: Everyone should enjoy Thanksgiving Day and every other day. So enjoy.

Paul Pless
11-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Instant mashed potatoes? That's so sad.

Norman Bernstein
11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
My two turkeys are about to go into the smoker :)

Too Little Time
11-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Instant mashed potatoes? That's so sad.

It is not what is on the menu. It is who it is shared with. I have not been sad since I was married.

willmarsh3
11-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Amen to that.

Note to self. Make some eggnog with Captain Morgan's rum. I think that would be really good.

ShagRock
11-26-2015, 11:25 PM
They never always had turkey at Jamestown. Be proud and giving of what you have to share no matter how small.

C. Ross
11-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Thanksgiving for uber-rich New Yorkers as promoted by a steakhouse? I'm surprised it's not twice the cost, über rich New Yorkers being who they are.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-27-2015, 04:09 AM
There is a three word phrase which, for me, encapsulates eating and the Ultra Rich - used in the description of their domestic staff.

Second pastry chef.

Dwell on that a moment - savour it.

Phil Y
11-27-2015, 05:05 AM
I have to say I don't understand why anyone would eat instant mashed potatoes. Potatoes are cheap, they keep well without refrigeration. They are easy to peel, boil, cook and mash. I just don't get it.

Paul Pless
11-27-2015, 05:06 AM
I have to say I don't understand why anyone would eat instant mashed potatoes. Potatoes are cheap, they keep well without refrigeration. They are easy to peel, boil, cook and mash. I just don't get it.

thank you phil

McMike
11-27-2015, 07:28 AM
I personally think it's a crime against humanity that a large enough group of people can afford a $45,000 meal.

Our turkey cost $25, the trimmings, all fresh, cost about another $100. This feed 5 with a few days of left overs in the fridge for all. It was a great meal.

Todd D
11-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Some of you guys really splurge. Our turkey cost $12. Everything else came to about $8. The after dinner wine was a half bottle of zinfandel ($10 for the half bottle). So I figure $30 for everything. We will be eating turkey left overs for the next year or more (we still have frozen turkey and stock from last Thanksgiving). Our left overs start tonight when we will reprise yesterday's meal (turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, candied yams, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie). Tonight we will probably have beer instead of wine so add $3 to the cost.

Too Little Time
11-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Every morning the maid - my wife, mixes up several flours and what not, makes me waffles, and serves fresh fruit. Then she picks up the dishes. I would feel embarrassed to ask the maid to cook potatoes.

I think it was enough for the staff to make dressing and mushroom gravy, pork loin and gravy, sweet potatoes and instant white potatoes, peas and onions, and some sort of dessert with pecans.

oznabrag
11-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't call my wife 'the maid', even in a joke.

Not that you shouldn't, you understand, just marveling at the differences we all enjoy.

I hope you had as much fun as I did, yesterday!

Paul Pless
11-27-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't call my wife 'the maid', even in a joke.just so

CWSmith
11-27-2015, 11:17 AM
If I had spent $45,000 on dinner to propose, my wife would have questioned my sanity. And she'd be right.

bobbys
11-27-2015, 11:56 AM
We took the boat out , got crab, cooked said crab and kids and eye ate fresh crab right off fresh as could be , Did not need any butter, Then Son Andy and his goil made what I call crab Louie , Well english muffin, the crab in a mix of mayo and fresh herbs with cheese on top.

One could be the richest man on da oit and not eat any finer!

bobbys
11-27-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't call my wife 'the maid', even in a joke.

Not that you shouldn't, you understand, just marveling at the differences we all enjoy.

I hope you had as much fun as I did, yesterday!.

Tuesday nights she is the maid just to spice things up a bit.

John A. Campbell
11-27-2015, 05:11 PM
I don't know how much the uber-rich that ate that $45K meal will pay in Federal income tax this year but whatever it is is damned sure not enough.

John

CWSmith
11-27-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm picturing myself standing at the pearly gates and the fellow before me is being asked how many homeless and hungry he passed on the way to that $45k meal.

I'm starting to feel better about my chances . . .

jclays
11-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Did the word "uber" replace the word "super"? Serious question. Seeing it used more and more. Origin of use or word?

Paul Pless
11-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm picturing myself standing at the pearly gates and the fellow before me is being asked how many homeless and hungry he passed on the way to that $45k meal.

I'm starting to feel better about my chances . . .Y> ...

Daniel Noyes
11-28-2015, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2rCMBK1YE

look on the bright side! some Zoo York city goof ball just was seperated from 45,000 dollars, money that went to pay for the restaurant staff, building, advertising, farmers who grew the free range turkeyes etc.

the money is now in the hands of people who worked for it and who will use it more wisely! mabey even donate some to their local shelter Salvation Army or soup kitchen :)

it's not like they burned the 45,000 in a bonfire!

paulf
11-28-2015, 10:12 PM
look on the bright side! some Zoo York city goof ball just was seperated from 45,000 dollars, money that went to pay for the restaurant staff, building, advertising, farmers who grew the free range turkeyes etc.

the money is now in the hands of people who worked for it and who will use it more wisely! mabey even donate some to their local shelter Salvation Army or soup kitchen :)

it's not like they burned the 45,000 in a bonfire!

Always look on the bright side of life..do do, do do, do do....

goodbasil
11-29-2015, 01:05 AM
$45,000 !
One could feed s small village in Africa with that amount for a year.
I often have the Swanson's over for Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner. Ready in 35 minutes @ 350F.

Upshur
11-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Understand that the rich in New York City go out at night and talk about where they went and how much they spent...thats what they do.

by the way , thats a terrible food pic...looks like the turkey took a big crap.

Jim Mahan
11-29-2015, 10:32 AM
We will be eating turkey left overs for the next year or more...

That's a huge turkey!

$45,000 ! One could feed s small village in Africa with that amount for a year.

Save some money and send 'em one of Todd D's turkeys!

S.V. Airlie
11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
I WAS going to buy a turkey this year but, the local grocery ( chain) couldn't sell me one if I was famished, dying from hunger and thirst. Every time I go there, the cashier asks me how I am. I respond, "really depressed, now that I had to shop here!" Road kill would be a better meal. OOOPS, warming up the car as I write, plow is connected and ready.

Too Little Time
11-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Understand that the rich in New York City go out at night and talk about where they went and how much they spent...thats what they do.

I think that most people do. When our daughter calls we usually talk about what we have done since the last call and what we intend to do in the future.

During the last phone call my wife and daughter were discussing what we were going to spend on our trip to California next summer. And some discussion about a future trip to Hawaii - my daughter's, and about not a future trip to Hawaii - for my wife to see the current lava flows.

Everyone's life seems to uneventful at the moment so we have little else to talk about.

pipefitter
11-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Instant mashed potatoes aren't half bad. They have come a long way in the last 20 years with that process. They are certainly better than lumpy, proper ones. I admit to using both. I have seen many people ruin proper ones with margarine. Depends on what else is going on, labor wise. I often ask if they mind instant and most people don't. It's not the star of the show most of the time anyway, unless they are being made into cakes.

CWSmith
11-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Everyone's life seems to uneventful at the moment so we have little else to talk about.

Actually, it sounds lovely.

Hugh Conway
11-29-2015, 09:42 PM
I think that most people do. When our daughter calls we usually talk about what we have done since the last call and what we intend to do in the future.

During the last phone call my wife and daughter were discussing what we were going to spend on our trip to California next summer. And some discussion about a future trip to Hawaii - my daughter's, and about not a future trip to Hawaii - for my wife to see the current lava flows.

It's wonderful how the pretend rich have become just as banal as the poor. A bizarre democratization of wealth in the US.

bobbys
11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
If I had to choose between this. Meal or Babette's feast the turkey trot dance lessons would sway me.