PDA

View Full Version : Dynel Fabric

JimJ
01-15-2001, 01:38 AM
Can anyone point me to a web site that has procedures for the use of Dynel fabric with epoxy in covering plywood?

JimJ
Can anyone point me to a web site that has procedures for the use of Dynel fabric with epoxy in covering plywood?

JimJ

Ross Faneuf
01-15-2001, 09:58 AM
I don't know of a web site, but I have used a lot of Dynel (polypropylene) with epoxy, and others in this form have as well. You could just try us with questions if you don't get a web site pointer.

Ross Faneuf
I don't know of a web site, but I have used a lot of Dynel (polypropylene) with epoxy, and others in this form have as well. You could just try us with questions if you don't get a web site pointer.

Ross Faneuf

Mike Keers
01-15-2001, 06:21 PM
Jim,
No website info, but WoodenBoat had an extensive article on "Sheathing Fabrics" in the July/August 1994 issue, No.119.

I just re-read it the other day, good pros and cons of various sheathing fabrics.
MK

Mike Keers
Jim,
No website info, but WoodenBoat had an extensive article on "Sheathing Fabrics" in the July/August 1994 issue, No.119.

I just re-read it the other day, good pros and cons of various sheathing fabrics.
MK

Mike Keers
Jim,

MK

Steve Lansdowne
01-15-2001, 07:01 PM
Use the forum search function and type in Dynel or fiberglass or my name. I posted a question about glassing the bottom of my Whisp not long ago and some wonderful soul replied with a link to his home page that included lots of information and photos of using Dynel on the bottom of his boat. Very helpful. Good luck!

Steve Lansdowne
Use the forum search function and type in Dynel or fiberglass or my name. I posted a question about glassing the bottom of my Whisp not long ago and some wonderful soul replied with a link to his home page that included lots of information and photos of using Dynel on the bottom of his boat. Very helpful. Good luck!

Steve Lansdowne

DougWilde
01-19-2001, 03:58 PM
Jim,

I sheathed the entire hull of my Windward 15 with Dynel.

Point your browser to:

http://www.cox-internet.com/wilde/Pages/

and select the "sheath.htm" link. I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding my experience with Dynel after that. I intend to sheath the deck of Williwaw with it, too, but not fill the weave.

Doug Wilde

DougWilde
Jim,

Point your browser to:

and select the "sheath.htm" link. I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding my experience with Dynel after that. I intend to sheath the deck of Williwaw with it, too, but not fill the weave.

Doug Wilde

DougWilde
Jim,

Point your browser to:

Doug Wilde

JimJ
01-19-2001, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info.
Doug I have printed the pages from your site. Looks like you have done a great job!.
I was trying to find out if one has to use more than one layer of dynel or cab one get away with just one layer around the keel of the boat.

The reason for the question is that I beach the boat on sandy beachs quite often.

There does not appear to be any product or application notes for dynel fabric anywhere.

It must have been produced with some applications in mind.

JimJ
Thanks for the info.
Doug I have printed the pages from your site. Looks like you have done a great job!.
I was trying to find out if one has to use more than one layer of dynel or cab one get away with just one layer around the keel of the boat.

The reason for the question is that I beach the boat on sandy beachs quite often.

There does not appear to be any product or application notes for dynel fabric anywhere.

JimJ
Thanks for the info.

Steve Lansdowne
01-19-2001, 09:36 PM
Doug Wilde is the guy that gave me the information, and I see he's just posted again to share it with you. Defender Industries at defenderus.com sells Dynel and you can find out a bit more about it by using the search function at their web site. Perhaps you could e-mail them directly with your question also.

Steve Lansdowne
Doug Wilde is the guy that gave me the information, and I see he's just posted again to share it with you. Defender Industries at defenderus.com sells Dynel and you can find out a bit more about it by using the search function at their web site. Perhaps you could e-mail them directly with your question also.

Steve Lansdowne

Tom Lathrop
01-20-2001, 08:00 AM
Ruel Parker, in his sharpie book, describes how to use Xynole fabric in some detail. The application of Dynel and Xynole would be identical. I've used both and consider Xynole far superior in mechanical properties. Dynel is not polypropylene, which also goes by the name Vectra. I would not use Dynel.

All these are available from Defender Industries. Their catalog gives some application instructions which have not changed in 30 years.

Tom Lathrop
Ruel Parker, in his sharpie book, describes how to use Xynole fabric in some detail. The application of Dynel and Xynole would be identical. I've used both and consider Xynole far superior in mechanical properties. Dynel is not polypropylene, which also goes by the name Vectra. I would not use Dynel.

All these are available from Defender Industries. Their catalog gives some application instructions which have not changed in 30 years.

Tom Lathrop

Dave Carnell
01-23-2001, 06:30 AM
DynelŽ is acrylic fiber. Orlon is DuPont's acrylic. SunbrellaŽis a brand name for acrylic cloth.

Dave Carnell
DynelŽ is acrylic fiber. Orlon is DuPont's acrylic. SunbrellaŽis a brand name for acrylic cloth.

Dave Carnell

casem
01-23-2001, 10:46 AM
I heard that in terms of mechanical properties, fiberglass was best. But dynel and Xynol conform to the shape of a boat better. Is this true?

casem
I heard that in terms of mechanical properties, fiberglass was best. But dynel and Xynol conform to the shape of a boat better. Is this true?

casem

Tom Lathrop
01-23-2001, 10:05 PM
Depends on which mechanical property you are refering to Casem. Fiberglass has higher tensile strength and much lower elongation. Xynole and Dynel and have higher abraision resistance, puncture resistance and peel strength. Depends on which factor is important to you.

Tom Lathrop
Depends on which mechanical property you are refering to Casem. Fiberglass has higher tensile strength and much lower elongation. Xynole and Dynel and have higher abraision resistance, puncture resistance and peel strength. Depends on which factor is important to you.

Tom Lathrop

Andrew
01-25-2001, 10:12 AM
Is the any problem with mixed layups?

Andrew

Andrew

Mark Van
01-25-2001, 06:14 PM
I used Xynole on my 39 foot sharpie for sheathing. I found that it was a lot easier to deal with than fiberglass. You can cut it with scissors without dulling them, and it conformes to curved surfaces better than fiberglass.
It was easy to apply. I just put the cloth on bare plywood, and put epoxy on with a roller. When that was partially cured, I put another coat of epoxy on. Then sanding, and a final coat.
Mark

Mark Van
I used Xynole on my 39 foot sharpie for sheathing. I found that it was a lot easier to deal with than fiberglass. You can cut it with scissors without dulling them, and it conformes to curved surfaces better than fiberglass.
It was easy to apply. I just put the cloth on bare plywood, and put epoxy on with a roller. When that was partially cured, I put another coat of epoxy on. Then sanding, and a final coat.
Mark

Mark Van
Mark