PDA

View Full Version : Small Boats 2016! Woot Woot

callsign222
11-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Picked it up this morning at my local bookstore right after I got the email that it was available!

A great write up about the Marsh Cat by KMac... A nice write up on the MerryMac, a NH seacoast favorite... And SCAMP gets her due with a comprehensive review by Tom Pamperin. Some of the bigger powerhouse boat designers no showed, which opened the field a bit. Ben Fuller gets to show off his cool leather bailing scoop again. That thing gets some serious play!

One noticeable absence was Tom Jackson, whose wordsmithing and deep experience he brings to SB is something I always enjoy. He can always lovingly (politely?) and accurately describe a boat even if the wind never pipes above 2 knots.

BrianW
11-26-2015, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the review.

Tom Jackson
12-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the nice words! Things were different this year, I guess. I did have an article in the SBMonthly online about the canvas bunk I made up for my boat....

Oldad
12-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Enjoyed the article on Escargot.

Ben Fuller
12-01-2015, 08:58 AM
That's not my bailer, that's the Delaware River boat sharps bailer brought forward by Joe Liener. Speaking of which heading down to bail Tipsy the dory and maybe taking a spin on the river.

rbgarr
12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Joe Liener. What a gentleman. Demanding and didn't suffer fools, but a gentleman nonetheless.

David G
12-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Haven't picked mine up yet. I was looking forward to it... but if there's no article by Tom... maybe I'll just skip it... <G>

Rich Jones
12-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Haven't picked mine up yet. I was looking forward to it... but if there's no article by Tom... maybe I'll just skip it... <G> Yeah, but there's a picture of my little Hvalsoe 13, GRACE, in there, so worth the ten bucks!:D

Hunky Dory
12-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Nice article on Thad"s Mower Dory, I hope to get a chance to sail with him again.

Thad
12-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Haven't made it to the Cape yet. I expect to bring it to Mystic next June. This year it was in the works but I killed my truck, managed to get another vehicle in time but hadn't got the hitch set up yet. Not bad sailing weather just now!

Ben Fuller
12-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Thinking about a Christmas Day dory row, no gloves. Who would have thunk it?

Thad
12-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Here they say 65F on Thursday with showers, 52F Friday and sunny!

Hunky Dory
12-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I have gotten a couple nice long rows in the past few weekends and will go this long weekend. I put the sail away for the winter on my little skiff for safety sake. Not many boats out there if you get in trouble. I will be going for my New Years dip again though.

Zymguy
12-25-2015, 02:13 PM
All the others in my collection are Feb , this year is March . Will that be the new norm?

switters
12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Read it on the plane out to Oregon over the break, helped me narrow down my wants vs. my needs on my next build.

Paul Pless
12-28-2015, 05:05 PM
helped me narrow down my wants vs. my needs on my next build.

Do tell.

switters
12-30-2015, 12:15 PM
I have had plans laying around for two years on a beach pea, the stems and some frames laying around for one year. After being out on the water this year on the paddle board a few times a week and not building much my desire to go sailing is even stronger but I learned a few things. Most of my time on the water is spent with someone, I have become much more social in the last ten years without realizing it. That someone is usually female. Being female they will not willingly "hold it" or "hang it over the side". Most of my time is on a mountain reservoir which can have some strange winds and not a lot of places to park a sail boat like we can a paddle board. I hate my plastic sailboat because of the rigging, I need an easy to set up rig.

So while I really want the super light go fast sexy open boat, I'm not gonna continue to build it any time soon.

I need stability, a small cabin, room for 4 on social outings, easy to rig, simple aux power and reasonably quick to build.

SCAMP kit. I have thought the SCAMP a very cool boat since I first saw it on these pages, but did not think it was for me. Things change.

I have honestly looked down on kits in the past. Now that I've been waiting two years for some paddle board ply to show up without paying for the entire semi load (seriously 300+ for delivery on three sheets of ply that cost 65 a sheet) I am going kit. I realize that I am not building a boat, I am assembling a boat model, and I dont care. I just wanna sail, with women.

So basically I'm going with the minivan of small wooden boats.

WI-Tom
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
I need stability, a small cabin, room for 4 on social outings, easy to rig, simple aux power and reasonably quick to build.

It's all of that except maybe the cabin... more of a hard dodger with stowage.

I just wanna sail, with women.

Well, SCAMP really is a chick magnet from what I've seen. It's a good choice for that.

So basically I'm going with the minivan of small wooden boats.

I think of it more as a classic 1960s Land Rover. Not real big, or real fast, or conventionally pretty, but it looks cool in its own way, and it can sure go places and have fun along the way. I think it's a great boat that has created its own little niche. Good luck with the build,

Tom

rbgarr
01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
I don't subscribe but wonder whether Ben Fuller's 'Small Craft Nav-Aid' as described is similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlA9TpklP80

Ben Fuller
01-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Similar, but not the same, smaller easier to use not a bunch of fancy features that are not useful on this side of the pond. http://canusail.org/coastal.html.

callsign222
01-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Similar, but not the same, smaller easier to use not a bunch of fancy features that are not useful on this side of the pond. http://canusail.org/coastal.html.

For 8 bucks, not bad to have laying around

Falcon1
02-17-2016, 04:53 PM
I've been meaning to compliment our hosts on this year's Small Boats.

I like the new look outside and really like the new paper stock. Also, the cover photo is fantastic!

It's always my favorite issue of the year, but this one is outstanding. Thanks to WoodenBoat!

Mike

alexau
05-26-2016, 03:24 PM
I currently have a sv27 that I take to the lake when we go out on our family boat. That boat doesnt seem to be well suited for a large lake the waves are just too large for it. Since I dont have room for a larger r/c boat I was thinking about trying one of the small self-righting starter boats. Do you guys think this is a good approach? Any recommendations?

Rich Jones
05-27-2016, 02:30 AM
I currently have a sv27 that I take to the lake when we go out on our family boat. That boat doesnt seem to be well suited for a large lake the waves are just too large for it. Since I dont have room for a larger r/c boat I was thinking about trying one of the small self-righting starter boats. Do you guys think this is a good approach? Any recommendations?
You'll have better luck with responses if you post this in the Designs and Plans section.