PDA

View Full Version : Creationists in a tizzy about Google

Gerarddm
11-24-2015, 07:46 PM
I remember the first and only time I met a self-professed creationist. My instinctive reaction was, how does a person like this actually speak colloquial English and hold a job? Because their cranial horsepower is about that of a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine.

http://news.yahoo.com/creationists-slamming-google-doodle-celebrating-160540848.html

Phillip Allen
11-24-2015, 07:47 PM
I saw that and wondered about it...

Paul Pless
11-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I remember the first and only time I met a self-professed creationist. My instinctive reaction was, how does a person like this actually speak colloquial English and hold a job? Because their cranial horsepower is about that of a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine.

aren't there like fifteen of them running for the gop presidential nomination?

robm
11-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Even sillier than usual. That third figure is only vaguely humanoid. I wonder if Google hoped to short circuit such protest by using figures that use a great deal of artistic license?

Judging by the comments shown on that article, the commenters don't actually speak English very well, and may well not have a real job, if they have the time to comment on such a topic.

Glen Longino
11-24-2015, 08:28 PM
..."monkey worship"...

:D LMAO

Dave Gray
11-24-2015, 09:01 PM
I have never met a creationist. I suppose I would treat one of them the same way I would a 7th Day Adventist. "Have a nice day!" and firmly shut the door.

CWSmith
11-24-2015, 09:15 PM
My brother the engineer works with another engineer who thinks the world is only a few thousand years old. You don't want to know what he thinks about dinosaurs. Wackadoodle.

PeterSibley
11-24-2015, 09:24 PM
I have never met a creationist. I suppose I would treat one of them the same way I would a 7th Day Adventist. "Have a nice day!" and firmly shut the door.

If he's your neighbour you ignore the BS and find things in common, if he's smart he does the same.

Keith Wilson
11-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Creationists are in a tizzy about reality.

The third Google figure is Lucy the Australopithecus, definitely not human yet. She's the one on the right.

https://kurious.ku.edu.tr/sites/kurious.ku.edu.tr/files/image005_8.jpg?itok=hPp2OlCB

Jim Mahan
11-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Why are some people so vehement about their stupidity?

osborni
11-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Yes, silly.

Though I go to church with a few of them. More or less we politely avoid the topic in conversation.

Perhaps a window into their thinking.....

They basically take the Bible to be the literal Word or God. God Breathed, as it where. So when the Bible doesn't say how long one of God's days are in Genesis, they assume that it really is one of our current days. The entire Old and New Testaments are literal truth. They do things like take Exodus literally, even though there is zero archaeological evidence to the contrary. Actualy, there is very good written history from that time in Egypt that says nothing about ~1M slaves leaving in a couple of days time. You would think that the entire slave labor force leaving would get a mention in temple histories.

BTW, this is the same way that the nut jobs running for the GOP nomination get around to not liking equality for gays or interracial marriage or sex not explicitly for recreation. It is the same place where they get the idea that the US is a Christian nation, not a secular one and that God's law needs to reign supreme on Earth. (never mind that passage in Matthew about leaving Caesar to Caesar and God to God.) What grinds my gears is there are about 90 commandments in the Old testament that Biblical literalists basically ignore without a 2nd thought.

TL:DR - they are biblical literalists. Massive levels of cognitive dissonance.

CWSmith
11-25-2015, 10:09 AM
What grinds my gears is there are about 90 commandments in the Old testament that Biblical literalists basically ignore without a 2nd thought.

:) Society would be a very different place . . .

I've always thought that literalism is easy. Digging for the deeper meaning is hard. Doing what Christ taught (feed the poor, forgive transgressions...) is far harder than defending a literal Genesis.