PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cushions

landlocked sailor
06-17-2003, 08:28 AM
I am almost ready for this stage of LILY. My first thought is to use closed cell foam covered with Sunbrella or similar. This boat will not be out in the weather much but will occasionally get doused. Anybody have any ideas? Rick

landlocked sailor
I am almost ready for this stage of LILY. My first thought is to use closed cell foam covered with Sunbrella or similar. This boat will not be out in the weather much but will occasionally get doused. Anybody have any ideas? Rick

landlocked sailor

Ken Hutchins
06-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Go to the various F!@#$# dealers, sit down on all the seats find something that's comfortable for your 'profile'. Then when you find something that 'feels' good not just for a quick sit, but for an extended time - pretend you are interested in buying the boat, inquire about the cushion material directly from the manufacturer if necessary. There is nothing worse than uncomfortable seats. :D

Ken Hutchins
Go to the various F!@#$# dealers, sit down on all the seats find something that's comfortable for your 'profile'. Then when you find something that 'feels' good not just for a quick sit, but for an extended time - pretend you are interested in buying the boat, inquire about the cushion material directly from the manufacturer if necessary. There is nothing worse than uncomfortable seats. :D

Ken Hutchins

Mr. Know It All
06-17-2003, 08:43 AM
This guy and his wife do the best work I've seen. He's a member of the local Lyman owners club and has done some nice cushons and canvas for members of the club.

Ship Shape Marine Canvas
Jim or Sue Baehrens
3026 N. Carolina St.
Port Clinton,Ohio.43452
(419) 797-2254

Mr. Know It All
This guy and his wife do the best work I've seen. He's a member of the local Lyman owners club and has done some nice cushons and canvas for members of the club.

Ship Shape Marine Canvas
Jim or Sue Baehrens
3026 N. Carolina St.
Port Clinton,Ohio.43452
(419) 797-2254

Mr. Know It All

Ship Shape Marine Canvas
Jim or Sue Baehrens
3026 N. Carolina St.
Port Clinton,Ohio.43452
(419) 797-2254

Scott Rosen
06-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Closed cell foam with Sunbrella is a good way to go. Have the covers made with zippers so you can remove them for cleaning. You can easily replace the foam if it gets mildewy or worn out. The covers should last 10 years or more of moderate usage.

Scott Rosen
Closed cell foam with Sunbrella is a good way to go. Have the covers made with zippers so you can remove them for cleaning. You can easily replace the foam if it gets mildewy or worn out. The covers should last 10 years or more of moderate usage.

Scott Rosen

Ed Nye
06-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Opal's are made from a closed-cell foam sandwich. The out side foam (about half-inch thick) is softer than the inside. By using the two different densities, you get support similar to those foam pads with all the bumps on them, but without the funny looking print through on the covers. It only takes a little more work to make the sandwich using a spray-on glue made for that purpose. And your buttom will thank you,
Ed

[ 06-17-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Ed Nye ]

Ed Nye
Opal's are made from a closed-cell foam sandwich. The out side foam (about half-inch thick) is softer than the inside. By using the two different densities, you get support similar to those foam pads with all the bumps on them, but without the funny looking print through on the covers. It only takes a little more work to make the sandwich using a spray-on glue made for that purpose. And your buttom will thank you,
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

JimConlin
06-17-2003, 01:14 PM
I assume we're talking about cushions for the cockpit rather than for berths.

Closed cell foam is good. It doesn't absorb water and stay wet for weeks. The last set I had shrank about 3% over a period of years.

The cover is a trade-off. Vinyl can be wiped dry and won't absorb stains. OTOH, it feels clammy in warm weather. Sunbrella is quite colorfast, somewhat more comfortable if you're sweating, but is not as tolerant of abrasion as i'd hope. I've forgotten the name, but there's a woven plastic material which is also used for cockpit cushions.

JimConlin

Closed cell foam is good. It doesn't absorb water and stay wet for weeks. The last set I had shrank about 3% over a period of years.

The cover is a trade-off. Vinyl can be wiped dry and won't absorb stains. OTOH, it feels clammy in warm weather. Sunbrella is quite colorfast, somewhat more comfortable if you're sweating, but is not as tolerant of abrasion as i'd hope. I've forgotten the name, but there's a woven plastic material which is also used for cockpit cushions.

JimConlin

NormMessinger
06-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Sailrite has a CD with a "movie" on how to make your own cushions. Looks easy enough.

NormMessinger
Sailrite has a CD with a "movie" on how to make your own cushions. Looks easy enough.

NormMessinger

landlocked sailor
06-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanks everybody. These are cockpit cushions, so I will probably go with the closed cell foam sandwich with sunbrella covers. Zippers for sure Scott. Ed, how thick are your cushions overall?. By the way, OPAL is quite gorgeous! What is she? Norm, do you have the Sailrite CD? I briefly checked the website but could not find it. Rick

landlocked sailor
Thanks everybody. These are cockpit cushions, so I will probably go with the closed cell foam sandwich with sunbrella covers. Zippers for sure Scott. Ed, how thick are your cushions overall?. By the way, OPAL is quite gorgeous! What is she? Norm, do you have the Sailrite CD? I briefly checked the website but could not find it. Rick

landlocked sailor

Scott Rosen
06-18-2003, 11:05 AM
If these are cockpit cushions, then I would go with vinyl, not Sunbrella. I thought you were talking about cabin cushions.

Scott Rosen
If these are cockpit cushions, then I would go with vinyl, not Sunbrella. I thought you were talking about cabin cushions.

Scott Rosen

JimConlin
06-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Sunbrella is treated to be moderately water repellant. It is not peanut butter, suntan oil, bird poop or coffee repellant. Vinyl is.

JimConlin
Sunbrella is treated to be moderately water repellant. It is not peanut butter, suntan oil, bird poop or coffee repellant. Vinyl is.

JimConlin

Ed Nye
06-18-2003, 05:19 PM
I just pulled my fingers apart and measured. Opal's cushions are about 3 inches thick, maybe a little less. I think I would do the cushions with sunbrella on one side and vinyl on the other. I can't imagine putting bare flesh on vinyl that has been in the sun. Opal is a Ted Brewer Banks Ketch, 24' on deck, batten seam cedar on oak. She was built in '81 here in Seattle.
Ed

Ed Nye
I just pulled my fingers apart and measured. Opal's cushions are about 3 inches thick, maybe a little less. I think I would do the cushions with sunbrella on one side and vinyl on the other. I can't imagine putting bare flesh on vinyl that has been in the sun. Opal is a Ted Brewer Banks Ketch, 24' on deck, batten seam cedar on oak. She was built in '81 here in Seattle.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed