PDA

View Full Version : Meranti Plywood

Alan Peck
04-20-2001, 03:02 PM
I am interested in purchasing 9mm Meranti Marine Plywood for the 15' skiff I am building.

I am in Tallahassee, FL and so far, the only source I can find is in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
which is 450 miles away.

Before, I drive that far, I would like to see a small sample of the stuff. Does anyone, have a small scrap (say 8 by 8 inches) that I could obtain. If so, please e-mail me. I could send a pre-paid envelope .

In addition, does anyone know of a supplier closer to me than Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks

Alan Peck
I am interested in purchasing 9mm Meranti Marine Plywood for the 15' skiff I am building.

I am in Tallahassee, FL and so far, the only source I can find is in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
which is 450 miles away.

Before, I drive that far, I would like to see a small sample of the stuff. Does anyone, have a small scrap (say 8 by 8 inches) that I could obtain. If so, please e-mail me. I could send a pre-paid envelope .

Thanks

Alan Peck

which is 450 miles away.

Thanks

Keith Wilson
04-20-2001, 04:29 PM
I've got a bunch of 6mm 5-ply and nominal 3/4"; 19mm, I think, with 13 plies. It's from Malaysia, BS 1088, and looks pretty decent. It's fairly heavy and a little splintery when you cut it with a saber saw. I don't know how it finishes, having not gotten that far on the boat yet. I suppose I'll know in ten years how good it really is, although I suspect I wouldn't like the forestry practices that produced those perfect 4'x8' veneers from Malaysian forests. Mine is not from the same retail supplier, but if you'd like a piece e-mail me at kwilsonXX800@aol.com (remove the Xs - just a little paranoia about spambots).

Keith Wilson
I've got a bunch of 6mm 5-ply and nominal 3/4"; 19mm, I think, with 13 plies. It's from Malaysia, BS 1088, and looks pretty decent. It's fairly heavy and a little splintery when you cut it with a saber saw. I don't know how it finishes, having not gotten that far on the boat yet. I suppose I'll know in ten years how good it really is, although I suspect I wouldn't like the forestry practices that produced those perfect 4'x8' veneers from Malaysian forests. Mine is not from the same retail supplier, but if you'd like a piece e-mail me at kwilsonXX800@aol.com (remove the Xs - just a little paranoia about spambots).

Keith Wilson

Mike Field
04-21-2001, 05:24 AM
We've used meranti for years here in Oz, Alan. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, so you'd certainly need to see a piece if you could, but I think it finishes quite attractively. It's got quite a lot of colour in it, dramatically different from the bland plantation-grown hoop pine ply that seems to be all we produce here these days.

I'd agree with Keith's comments about the possibly poor forestry practices used in harvesting the timber. (Indonesia, particularly, has been doing some pretty terrible things in this line recently, as you probably know.) BUT I have no direct knowledge one way or the other.

The only thing I'd be careful of, though, with any supposedly "BS1088" marine ply sourced from Asia, is that it mightn't be to that standard at all, whatever the rubber stamps say. The manufacturers don't have to prove the quality of their product, and some of them are pretty unscrupulous (one of the reasons it's cheaper, of course, along with less humanitarian labour practices.)

However, if you can get a sample of the ply you'll be buying, you can test it yourself for suitability, since you're mainly concerned with voids and glue quality. See if a small piece delaminates when subject to torsion. Cut it randomly and look for voids. Boil it in water, or steam it for a few hours. Pull it apart however you can, and by the time you've finished you'll probably be pretty clear about whether you want to use it or not.

Failing that, other but more expensive options are to buy Dutch, which is perfectly OK (although I'm afraid I can't tell you what face veneers they use,) or buy Aussie (also perfectly OK, but with a near-white face veneer) and laminate a new outer skim of your own choosing on top.

By the way, I seem to remember having heard a while back that BS1088 was to be replaced by another British Standard. If I'm right, keep an eye lifting for different numbers, too.

[This message has been edited by Mike Field (edited 04-21-2001).]

Mike Field
We've used meranti for years here in Oz, Alan. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, so you'd certainly need to see a piece if you could, but I think it finishes quite attractively. It's got quite a lot of colour in it, dramatically different from the bland plantation-grown hoop pine ply that seems to be all we produce here these days.

I'd agree with Keith's comments about the possibly poor forestry practices used in harvesting the timber. (Indonesia, particularly, has been doing some pretty terrible things in this line recently, as you probably know.) BUT I have no direct knowledge one way or the other.

The only thing I'd be careful of, though, with any supposedly "BS1088" marine ply sourced from Asia, is that it mightn't be to that standard at all, whatever the rubber stamps say. The manufacturers don't have to prove the quality of their product, and some of them are pretty unscrupulous (one of the reasons it's cheaper, of course, along with less humanitarian labour practices.)

However, if you can get a sample of the ply you'll be buying, you can test it yourself for suitability, since you're mainly concerned with voids and glue quality. See if a small piece delaminates when subject to torsion. Cut it randomly and look for voids. Boil it in water, or steam it for a few hours. Pull it apart however you can, and by the time you've finished you'll probably be pretty clear about whether you want to use it or not.

Failing that, other but more expensive options are to buy Dutch, which is perfectly OK (although I'm afraid I can't tell you what face veneers they use,) or buy Aussie (also perfectly OK, but with a near-white face veneer) and laminate a new outer skim of your own choosing on top.

By the way, I seem to remember having heard a while back that BS1088 was to be replaced by another British Standard. If I'm right, keep an eye lifting for different numbers, too.

Mike Field

Frank Wentzel
04-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Alan

You might check out "Paraply" at Home Depot. It is a white colored plywood imported from Paraguay. I have used some in various projects and like it. I have looked at all four sides of full pallets and not seen a void in the lot! Of course it would be a good idea to try the "boil test" but I understand that all ply now uses waterproof glue. I believe the 3/8" is 7 ply - not too shabby for the Orange Box. I live in the Tampa area and commercial wooden boat supplies are in short supply here as well.

/// Frank ///

Frank Wentzel
Alan

You might check out "Paraply" at Home Depot. It is a white colored plywood imported from Paraguay. I have used some in various projects and like it. I have looked at all four sides of full pallets and not seen a void in the lot! Of course it would be a good idea to try the "boil test" but I understand that all ply now uses waterproof glue. I believe the 3/8" is 7 ply - not too shabby for the Orange Box. I live in the Tampa area and commercial wooden boat supplies are in short supply here as well.

/// Frank ///

Frank Wentzel
Alan

/// Frank ///