PDA

View Full Version : Another crazy shooter. Ho hum.

Jim Bow
11-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Colorado Springs. Last Night.

CWSmith
11-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Shot a guy on a bike and two women... Brave man. Too bad he'll never experience what he has earned.

Phillip Allen
11-01-2015, 01:23 PM
rifle

Paul Pless
11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
poptart

Phillip Allen
11-01-2015, 01:27 PM
they don't make pop tarts that long... but your nose is getting longer

oznabrag
11-01-2015, 01:34 PM
rifle

Exactly!

It wasn't a handgun, so it's A-OK!

skuthorp
11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Only 3 victims? Doesn't comply with the rules.

Sad though.

GregH
11-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Hand gun, rifle - no matter - the more guns the better- the NRA wins again!

Phillip Allen
11-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Hand gun, rifle - no matter - the more guns the better- the NRA wins again!

that's the attitude I expected... claiming that the left only wants to eliminate handguns (except for their law enforcers of course) has always been a lie... the only people fooled by that lie are the left themselves

Mad Scientist
11-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Shot a guy on a bike and two women... Brave man. Too bad he'll never experience what he has earned.

He might have, in a way. The news item I read was a bit vague, but apparently he got shot to pieces quite thoroughly when the police caught up to him.

Tom

Paul Pless
11-01-2015, 07:47 PM
that's the attitude I expected... claiming that the left only wants to eliminate handguns (except for their law enforcers of course) has always been a lie... the only people fooled by that lie are the left themselvesYou making such claims that some vague entity 'the left' is lying about their plans for gun control is the lie Phillip.

CWSmith
11-01-2015, 08:05 PM
He might have, in a way. The news item I read was a bit vague, but apparently he got shot to pieces quite thoroughly when the police caught up to him.

Tom

I confess that I wrote that in anger and had something more protracted in mind, possibly with screaming and begging.

The truth is that I am conflicted. I want more of these shooters to stand trial and I want there to be a demonstration of the kind of fame (spelled "contempt") that it will bring them. My fear is they will get a psych pass and wear pajamas for 10 years only.

Jim Mahan
11-01-2015, 08:41 PM
...but apparently he got shot to pieces quite thoroughly when the police caught up to him.

I'm not happy about this part. I am bothered by what seems to be a trend. It seems to be common on both the local and the national news, that the cops show up and the perp is killed in a hail of gunfire. That should be rare, not common. It seems for the last several years, in my local area, the evening news includes a story where some incident responded to by cops, and the news story is over in the next sentence, when the perp has been killed by police gunfire. Seems like weekly, whatever the actual statistical density of it is, it seems like way too often. I repeat, cops killing suspects should be rare, not common.

skuthorp
11-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Suicide by cop, with a few others on the side as motivation. Why give them what they want?

Joe (SoCal)
11-01-2015, 09:11 PM
I Hate Guns (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?195061-I-hate-guns-!!!!)

Phillip Allen
11-01-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm not happy about this part. I am bothered by what seems to be a trend. It seems to be common on both the local and the national news, that the cops show up and the perp is killed in a hail of gunfire. That should be rare, not common. It seems for the last several years, in my local area, the evening news includes a story where some incident responded to by cops, and the news story is over in the next sentence, when the perp has been killed by police gunfire. Seems like weekly, whatever the actual statistical density of it is, it seems like way too often. I repeat, cops killing suspects should be rare, not common.

I too, am disappointed when a suspect is killed and unable to tell us his reasons... the more we know the better

Phillip Allen
11-01-2015, 09:24 PM

Tom

no mention of type of gun until the 4th paragraph and then that was the only sentence (since it was not a handgun, in my opinion)

The Bigfella
11-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Duhh... he fired multiple shots at the approaching police.

Peerie Maa
11-02-2015, 05:38 AM

Tom
What happened to trial by Jury?

Paul Pless
11-02-2015, 05:42 AM
What happened to trial by Jury?
you don't get one when you stand in a street and shoot at cops

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Trial by fire?

TomF
11-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I too, am disappointed when a suspect is killed and unable to tell us his reasons... the more we know the betterThat would be more useful if, after hearing those reasons, legislators were allowed to make/adjust policy to reduce risks.

In the meantime, from "rifle" to "poptart," I wondered if this was a word association game. My word's "elephant."

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 08:46 AM
That would be more useful if, after hearing those reasons, legislators were allowed to make/adjust policy to reduce risks.

In the meantime, from "rifle" to "poptart," I wondered if this was a word association game. My word's "elephant."

as to the pop tart, there was a little boy arrested (still in his single digit years) for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a framing square then pretending it was a gun... THAT's how out of control our authorities have become! since I complained and brought it to the attention of the bilge, Paul has been trying to ridicule me for what the boy did... life is strange indeed

The Bigfella
11-02-2015, 08:55 AM
as to the pop tart, there was a little boy arrested (still in his single digit years) for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a framing square then pretending it was a gun... THAT's how out of control our authorities have become! since I complained and brought it to the attention of the bilge, Paul has been trying to ridicule me for what the boy did... life is strange indeed

Arrested? Getting confused there a bit Phillip? He was suspended... and not because of the shape of his poptart

"As much as the parents want this case to be about a 'gun,' it is, rather, a case about classroom disruption from a student who has had a long history of disruptive behavior," Nussbaum wrote in his opinion, which was dated June 26, the Washington Post reported (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/hearing-examiner-backs-suspension-of-boy-who-chewed-pastry-into-gun-shape/2014/06/30/f3aee730-004b-11e4-b8ff-89afd3fad6bd_story.html). He asserted that the suspension came as a result of disciplinary problems the boy had, and not just because of what he did with the breakfast pastry.
"Had the student chewed his cereal bar into the shape of a cat and ran around the room, disrupting the classroom and making 'meow' cat sounds, the result would have been exactly the same," Nussbaum wrote, according to the Post.

TomF
11-02-2015, 08:55 AM
as to the pop tart, there was a little boy arrested (still in his single digit years) for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a framing square then pretending it was a gun... THAT's how out of control our authorities have become! since I complained and brought it to the attention of the bilge, Paul has been trying to ridicule me for what the boy did... life is strange indeedPhillip, I've grown hoarse agreeing that the school authorities' response was a ridiculous over-reaction. Though in the perhaps apocryphal version I remember, the kid had been disciplined for chewing the shape of a pistol, and "firing" it while sitting at the lunch table. Not for making a framing square.

Paul's not ridiculing you for what the boy did. He's got other reasons.

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Phillip, I've grown hoarse agreeing that the school authorities' response was a ridiculous over-reaction. Though in the perhaps apocryphal version I remember, the kid had been disciplined for chewing the shape of a pistol, and "firing" it while sitting at the lunch table. Not for making a framing square.

Paul's not ridiculing you for what the boy did. He's got other reasons.

maybe so... one must. remember that ridicule is Paul's main method of communication not worth responding to most of the time

Peerie Maa
11-02-2015, 09:50 AM
you don't get one when you stand in a street and shoot at cops
Got a link to that? I have not seen a link in this entire thread. Might be my browser, but I see no links.

John of Phoenix
11-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Phillip, I've grown hoarse agreeing that the school authorities' response was a ridiculous over-reaction. Though in the perhaps apocryphal version I remember, the kid had been disciplined for chewing the shape of a pistol, and "firing" it while sitting at the lunch table. Not for making a framing square.

Paul's not ridiculing you for what the boy did. He's got other reasons.59,754 reasons and counting.

Gerarddm
11-02-2015, 10:22 AM
My solution, for the past couple of years, is to pass legislation restricting gun ownership to single-shot weapons only.

Paul Pless
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
My solution, for the past couple of years, is to pass legislation restricting gun ownership to single-shot weapons only.

That will really put a crimp on water fowl, dove, quail, pheasant, and upland game hunting. Might you at least allow us double barrels???

Gerarddm
11-02-2015, 10:29 AM
No. Learn to aim.

Jim Mahan
11-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Let the gunnies have all the guns they want, just make them use only muzzle-loaders. Charlton Heston would be okay with that. Oh, his hands are dead and cold, now, right?

George Jung
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
That will really put a crimp on water fowl, dove, quail, pheasant, and upland game hunting. Might you at least allow us double barrels???

Much more enjoyable (IMO) when there's a bit more 'sport' to the hunt - a stronger skill set, the possibility the 'game' may actually win a round. A singleshot would do nicely.

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 11:44 AM
they had double barrels long before George Washington was around... in general, the world knows little more than what Sylvester Stallone taught them

TomF
11-02-2015, 11:45 AM
they had double barrels long before George Washington was around... in general, the world knows little more than what Sylvester Stallone taught themSo should the 2nd Amendment really apply only to weapons folks might have carried in the historical period?

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 11:53 AM
So should the 2nd Amendment really apply only to weapons folks might have carried in the historical period?

reminding you that this, too, is a historical period... arms is arms... I"m willing to compromise the arms to 'personal' arms and not crew operated... that is a compromise

TomF
11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
reminding you that this, too, is a historical period... arms is arms... I"m willing to compromise the arms to 'personal' arms and not crew operated... that is a compromise(Cough, sputter.) Is it?

Do you figure that the folks who wrote the 2nd Amendment actually thought they were including cannon (period crew operated weapons), and that you're graciously compromising and giving up something intended from the outset by agreeing to maybe scratch them off the list?

Compromise is giving up something actual. Like "I used to have an X daily bag limit for trout, but I'll agree to take only X annually now." See how that works?

Are you giving up the right to own and use crew-operated weapons? The right to bear arms implied the right to bear Howitzers?

Canoez
11-02-2015, 11:59 AM
reminding you that this, too, is a historical period... arms is arms... I"m willing to compromise the arms to 'personal' arms and not crew operated... that is a compromise

That's a compromise? Crew served arms that are owned personally are few and far between - like hen's teeth kind of rare. I think I'd have to use scientific notation to show what a small portion of the population you're talking about. So, no, that's not a compromise.

Nicholas Scheuer
11-02-2015, 12:05 PM
By what stretch does "a well- ordered Militia" have ANYTHING to do with dumb broads with semiautomatic rifles slung over their tattooed shoulders pushing a baby in a cart through a Walmart?

Paul Pless
11-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Phillip, you might give some thought towards the acceptability of compromises such as Canoez, myself, and even Donn have offered, lest you eventually be forced into a compromise such that Gerard proposes.

John of Phoenix
11-02-2015, 12:16 PM
reminding you that this, too, is a historical period... arms is arms... I"m willing to compromise the arms to 'personal' arms and not crew operated... that is a compromiseWhat kind of crew served weapon did you you have in mind?

Paul Pless
11-02-2015, 12:20 PM
What kind of crew served weapon did you you have in mind?

Do you really want to delve that deep into a firearm fetishist's fantasy?

John of Phoenix
11-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Do you really want to delve that deep into a firearm fetishist's fantasy?In some things... I'm helpless.

BrianY
11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Let the gunnies have all the guns they want, just make them use only muzzle-loaders. Charlton Heston would be okay with that. Oh, his hands are dead and cold, now, right?

Nah, that won;t work...

I say let them have all the guns they want but severely regulate the manufacture and sale of ammunition including the materials needed to make your own ammo.

Steve McMahon
11-02-2015, 02:29 PM

The maximum magazine capacity here is 5 rounds - a compromise that limits the potential damage without cramping hunters that are poor shots.

BrianY
11-02-2015, 03:56 PM
The maximum magazine capacity here is 5 rounds - a compromise that limits the potential damage without cramping hunters that are poor shots.

That won't fly here in the US where the gun mob considers access to high capacity magazines essential for self-defense against multiple armed assailants. Hey you never know when you're gonna be attacked by a squad of commandos intent on raping your wife and killing your kids. You need to have the firepower to meet this imminent threat.

The Bigfella
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Here's one for Phillip.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/ThaiLaos2015/a17_zps3rzacwxi.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/ThaiLaos2015/a17_zps3rzacwxi.jpg.html)

Steve McMahon
11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
That won't fly here in the US where the gun mob considers access to high capacity magazines essential for self-defense against multiple armed assailants. Hey you never know when you're gonna be attacked by a squad of commandos intent on raping your wife and killing your kids. You need to have the firepower to meet this imminent threat.

Spew.....:d

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 04:30 PM

in general, there's no capacity limit here... I have a 20 round mag for my fn-fal but I purchased a 5 round mag for general use... target shooting and possible hunting... I would be annoyed if I couldn't keep the 20 though... it never leaves the house but I still want it

anyone who thinks that since I have a large magazine that I'm gonna commit crimes is a fool

Steve McMahon
11-02-2015, 04:36 PM
in general, there's no capacity limit here... I have a 20 round mag for my fn-fal but I purchased a 5 round mag for general use... target shooting and possible hunting... I would be annoyed if I couldn't keep the 20 though... it never leaves the house but I still want it

anyone who thinks that since I have a large magazine that I'm gonna commit crimes is a fool

I wouldn't suggest YOU are capable of committing a mass shooting, however it has been proven others are capable. If it were up to me the largest magazine capacity would be 3. If someone can't kill what they want with 3 shots before reloading I would suggest more practice. In Canada the limit for a handgun is 10, but the only place you can use your handgun is a licensed range.

I used to hunt partridge with a break action single shot 16 gauge. I could reload fast enough to get multiple birds from a flock in the orchards.

oznabrag
11-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Reminds me of a great lawyer joke.

Phillip Allen
11-02-2015, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't suggest YOU are capable of committing a mass shooting, however it has been proven others are capable. If it were up to me the largest magazine capacity would be 3. If someone can't kill what they want with 3 shots before reloading I would suggest more practice. In Canada the limit for a handgun is 10, but the only place you can use your handgun is a licensed range.

I used to hunt partridge with a break action single shot 16 gauge. I could reload fast enough to get multiple birds from a flock in the orchards.

I should have added that that's the way it came when I bought it and I don't keep anything loaded anyway