PDA

View Full Version : Prostate Cancer

Rum_Pirate
10-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Just found out that a life long friend has stage 1 cancer of the Prostate.

His chances for treatment and recovery are said to be good.

I post this to urge everyone (male) to have an annual check up.

Better to catch these issues early.

CWSmith
10-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I do, but I'm wondering when blood tests will become more effective and replace the physical exam?

Keith Wilson
10-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Yes indeed. My father died of it at age 65; it had spread before they found it. I get checked regularly. Last time the doc told me I'll likely have to find something else to die of, which was OK with me.

isla
10-29-2015, 12:47 PM
A good friend of mine from Merseyside was up here in Scotland visiting us a couple of weeks ago. He has prostate cancer and is having surgery just about now. We are waiting to hear from him.

Too Little Time
10-29-2015, 12:59 PM
From the Mayo Clinic: PSA testing has lowered deaths, but the number may not be substantial enough to justify the cost and possibility of harm to the person undergoing the testing.

CWSmith
10-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Yes indeed. My father died of it at age 65; it had spread before they found it. I get checked regularly. Last time the doc told me I'll likely have to find something else to die of, which was OK with me.

On the other side of the coin, my father has it. He has the slow growing kind that typically is not operated on at his age (85). They told him he will die of something else, which is not the best thing to hear but far from the worst. They monitor him. He gets up to pee a bit more often at night, but is otherwise strong. In fact, he got his hip replaced on Monday and he's in his wood shop today.

Canoez
10-29-2015, 01:37 PM
From the Mayo Clinic: PSA testing has lowered deaths, but the number may not be substantial enough to justify the cost and possibility of harm to the person undergoing the testing.

You do understand that a PSA screening is a simple blood draw, right?

From the Mayo Clinics's website:

Potential risks The potential risks of the PSA test are essentially related to the choices you make based on the test results, such as the decision to undergo further testing and treatment for prostate cancer. The risks include:

Biopsy issues. A biopsy is a procedure that carries its own risks, including pain, bleeding and infection.
Psychological effects. False-positive test results — high PSA levels but no cancer found with biopsy — can cause anxiety or distress. If you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, but it appears to be a slow-growing tumor that doesn't result in illness, you may experience significant anxiety just knowing it's there.

Keith Wilson
10-29-2015, 01:43 PM
They told him he will die of something else, which is not the best thing to hear but far from the worst.Oh, I think it's an excellent thing to hear. We all die of something; eliminating one possibility is just fine with me. Any risks are not from the PSA test, but from the biopsy which might follow if you get a high number.

Rum_Pirate
10-29-2015, 01:52 PM
The PSA test is only a drawing of a little blood. The biopsy is more invasive and painful.

Garret
10-29-2015, 02:04 PM
A 58 YO friend just had his removed.

As I understand it, part of the recovery is learning a new way to control your bladder. They give you exercises to do & it is crucial to start doing them early & often. Because he did them, he was out of the depends in 2 weeks & able to fly in 3 months. Normal is 2-3 times that.

Gerarddm
10-29-2015, 02:43 PM
A yearly checkup should be on every man's to-do list.

There is no reason to die of prostate cancer any more if one catches it early enough..