Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Adams
    • Sep 2000

Senseless violence

Seems since a gun was not involved, there is no mention in this forum. A car makes a pretty effective weapon. My prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Adacia Chambers, who’s accused of plowing a car into crowds at an Oklahoma State University homecoming parade, is charged with second-degree murder and DUI.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

Re: Senseless violence

I'll come back to this
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Glen Longino
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
      I'll come back to this
      Not that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Anything but that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• johnw
        • Nov 2001

As opposed to sensible violence?
        On the trailing edge of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-John-L.../dp/B07LC6Y934

http://www.scribd.com/johnmwatkins/documents

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Paul Pless
          pinko commie tree hugger
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Bob Adams
          Seems since a gun was not involved, there is no mention in this forum. A car makes a pretty effective weapon. My prayers go out to the victims and their families.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/25/us/okl...ar-into-crowd/
          its on phillip's daughter's homecoming thread

but you're right, its such a rare occurrence you'd have thought it might have been discussed a bit more than it has
          Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
            I'll come back to this
            if only the folks she hit had been wearing helmets?
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• seanz
              Resilient?
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bob Adams

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/25/us/okl...ar-into-crowd/
              Bob, you've mentioned it, just then...

Terrible thing to happen, surprised it doesn't happen more often considering how many cars are out there.
              We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• CWSmith
                New Hampshire
                • Nov 2008

I saw it on the news yesterday. I think the reason it was not discussed here, and certainly why I did not raise it, is that I can think of nothing to be done about it. There are comments that the driver was drunk, but also denials. Everyone knows the dangers of drunk drivers. Short of making cars illegal, most of us talk about guns because we want them to be regulated to the same degree that we regulate cars. If there is a constructive point of discussion regarding this tragedy, perhaps someone will raise the issue rather than simply offering tangential complaints about those who think that guns are a problem in this country.
                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• johnw
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by CWSmith
                  I saw it on the news yesterday. I think the reason it was not discussed here, and certainly why I did not raise it, is that I can think of nothing to be done about it. There are comments that the driver was drunk, but also denials. Everyone knows the dangers of drunk drivers. Short of making cars illegal, most of us talk about guns because we want them to be regulated to the same degree that we regulate cars. If there is a constructive point of discussion regarding this tragedy, perhaps someone will raise the issue rather than simply offering tangential complaints about those who think that guns are a problem in this country.
                  Some witnesses said she deliberately gunned it into a crowd of people. A nut, in other words.

Now, do we really need a thread on every tragedy? Is this controversial? Are some going to say she should have run into the crowd and others that she shouldn't have? I don't think so. So what, exactly, is the point of the thread?
                  On the trailing edge of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-John-L.../dp/B07LC6Y934

http://www.scribd.com/johnmwatkins/documents

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by CWSmith
                    what about repealing the HIPAA law?... that seems to be the demand for keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill... that could be extended to drivers license
                    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• CWSmith
                      New Hampshire
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by johnw
                      Some witnesses said she deliberately gunned it into a crowd of people. A nut, in other words.
                      The same description fits some old folks who hit the accelerator instead of the break. I know the gun folks say this all the time, but this really is a time when I'll wait to hear what happened.

Now, do we really need a thread on every tragedy? Is this controversial? Are some going to say she should have run into the crowd and others that she shouldn't have? I don't think so. So what, exactly, is the point of the thread?
                      No, no, no! That seems to be the complain in the OP. What is to be gained by discussing this? If there is a good fix, I'm all for it. If not, it's just a misdirected complaint.
                      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...