Do you think Ben Carson will help Reps win Black voters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genglandoh
    • Dec 2010

I do because
    1. Ben Carson has been visiting many African American communities delivering his soft spoked Republican message. Some will here this message and at least give the Republicans a consideration.
    2. The Dems in an attempt to prevent this from happening are attacking Ben Carson. I think this will back fire on the Dems.

IMHO the only real question is now large the Reps gain will be.

Ben Carson visits Ferguson in bid to woo black voters to Republican party
    As the Republican candidate attempts to gain even more supporters, can the neurosurgeon’s ‘gifted hands’ make African Americans feel welcome in party?
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Jim Bow
    Still tender and callow f
    • Jul 2008

Re: Do you think Ben Carson will help Reps win Black voters?

No.
    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

I'd guess a few. Probably very few.
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• ljb5
        • Jan 2004

yes, but not enough.

Not nearly enough.

Of course, by the time the general election rolls around, Dr. Carson won't be on the ballot.
        ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• LeeG
          • May 2002

Can I answer with a question?

Comment

• StevenBauer
            LPBC member
            • Jan 2000

No. Black voters are too smart for that.

Comment

• genglandoh
              • Dec 2010

For background
              In 2012 Obama won 93% of the Black Vote
              In 2004 Kerry won 88% of the Black Vote.

My best guess is the Dems will get in the 85% to 90% range.
              Last edited by genglandoh; 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM. Reason: type
              "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

• Boater14
                Banned
                • Sep 2011

You have a typo there. You don't mean reeps will get 85% of the black vote. Also, I hate when people do this but can you site where a dem has singled Carson out for an attack? Nobody's attacking the guy. They can't... He is a soft spoken black guy. So...can you be specific?

Comment

• genglandoh
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Boater14
                  You have a typo there. You don't mean reeps will get 85% of the black vote. Also, I hate when people do this but can you site where a dem has singled Carson out for an attack? Nobody's attacking the guy. They can't... He is a soft spoken black guy. So...can you be specific?
                  Thank you I fixed it.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                    Ancient Mariner
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by genglandoh
                    For background
                    In 2012 Obama won 93% of the Black Vote
                    In 2004 Kerry won 88% of the Black Vote.

My best guess is the Dems will get in the 85% to 90% range.
                    So, two Dem candidates got over 88 percent and that's why a rep is going to get the same in 2016. WOW!

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                      Liberaltarian
                      • Nov 2004

1. Ben Carson has been visiting many African American communities delivering his soft spoked Republican message. Some will here this message and at least give the Republicans a consideration.
                      He can visit all the African American communities he wants... but exactly what is there in the Republican ideology and agenda which is supposed to appeal to the African American community?

2. The Dems in an attempt to prevent this from happening are attacking Ben Carson. I think this will back fire on the Dems.
                      'Attacking'? Only in the sense that any politician attacks another politician, in the course of the campaign. The so-called 'attacks' are for the incredibly stupid things Ben Carson says. Carson is responsible for his message, and is no more being 'attacked' than Hillary Clinton.

His message?

7. On whether being gay is a choice

Two months before he declared his candidacy, Carson sat down on CNN's "New Day" and in the course of the interview remarked that being gay was a choice, citing the example of people who go to prison straight and come out gay.

"A lot of people who go into prison straight and when they come out they’re gay, so did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question," he told Chris Cuomo.

Carson apologized later in the day.

"I do not pretend to know how every individual came to their sexual orientation. I regret that my words to express that concept were hurtful and divisive. For that I apologize unreservedly to all that were offended," he said.

8. On the worst thing since slavery

At the Values Voter Summit in October 2013, Carson remarked that "Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery."

"And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control," he said.

On a separate occasion, Carson suggested that Obamacare was worse than 9/11, though he walked back the comments back the next day.

9. Americans are living in a 'Gestapo age'

At a March 2014 event in New York, a reporter for Breitbart News asked Carson, "I've been told that he [Carson] said we're living in a 'Gestapo age'. What do you mean by that?"

“I mean very much like Nazi Germany — and I know you’re not supposed to talk about Nazi Germany but I don’t care about political correctness — you know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate a population,” Carson said. “We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe, and it's because of the PC police, it's because of politicians, because of news — all of these things are combining to stifle people's conversation.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...#ixzz3owhNvP00
                      "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
                        • Aug 2006

Hey, this ain't brain surgery. Carson is a loooser.

Comment

• ljb5
                          • Jan 2004

Why do you think Ben Carson can do something for the Republicans that Herman Cain, Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice and Clarence Thomas have been unable to do?

This is not the first time the Republicans have had a token African American. As you well know, this really hasn't helped them gain widespread support among African American voters.

What, other than wishful thinking and ignorance of history, would cause you to think this year will be different?
                          ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                            Trying to be reasonable
                            • Oct 1999

A silly question.

No. Quite the opposite, in fact.
                            "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                            for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Paul Pless
                              pinko commie tree hugger
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by ljb5
                              What, other than wishful thinking and ignorance of history, would cause you to think this year will be different?
                              jaft
                              Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

Working...