Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

this sort of stuff gets my attention... construction accident

apparently a car clipped the support legs... what was a car doing driving near that scaffolding???
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.
  • TerryLL
    Lake Pend Oreille Idaho
    • Mar 2007

Re: this sort of stuff gets my attention... construction accident

Comment

• Canoez
      Did I say that out loud?
      • Sep 2007

Oh. And this doesn't seem to grab your attention, too?
      "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
      -William A. Ward

Comment

• bobbys
        • Jun 2009

A few times in my construction career. I refused to do things for my own safety , The truth is if you stand up for saftey expect to lose Yer job fast, Luckily all the times I stood up I had enough cred to hold my job., One time someone died on a job I was on the same job I stood up on. No job is worth ones life but of course you have to have the facts on Yer side not use it as a excuse to be a slacker., I hated risking my life on other peoples ideas. Sometimes you have no choice.

Comment

• Jimmy W
          SE USA MS or sometimes GA
          • Feb 2010

There was a crane collapse in Atlanta yesterday, but no one was injured.

Comment

• lupussonic
            Massive member
            • May 2012

I was working in Norway this winter, a 48 meter high square scaffold tower collapsed. No-one was hurt. We were told 'the wind came from an unexpected direction'. Amazing.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
              • Jun 2003

It looks like that set up was almost a block long. What kind of scaffolding falls down like pick-up sticks if you knock one leg out?

Something wrong here. That looks like someone pushed a pile of 2x4s off the roof. (In China at least they lash them together)

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
                It looks like that set up was almost a block long. What kind of scaffolding falls down like pick-up sticks if you knock one leg out?

Something wrong here. That looks like someone pushed a pile of 2x4s off the roof. (In China at least they lash them together)
                hard to say from the pic... I also cannot see any sign of it being tied off to the building... maybe there's a good reason it doesn't show
                The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                  • Jun 2003

It's a bad job. Lucky no one was killed.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                    Ancient Mariner
                    • Dec 2006

ech. I agree, no one was killed. On the otherhand, maybe it would be better if someone had been. You all say that there is too much gov. Okay but, as businesses are out to make a bigger profit when possible, having no regulations gives them a lot of leeway. hey can build whatever they want, meet any min. specs they deem nec. and no one will care.

Comment

• dbrown
                      Conservative gun grabber
                      • Oct 2013

" no one was killed. On the otherhand, maybe it would be better if someone had been."

How can you get away with a statement like this?
                      Conservative gun grabber

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                        Ancient Mariner
                        • Dec 2006

To wake people up! Tell/show me what would in this 'civilized' world. Nothing seems to work anywhere ELSE. instead of picking a bit out of my post, post my entire one. It's self explanatory.
                        Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 10-16-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Phil Y
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2010

I was once waiting for a flight at Canberra Airport, gazing out the window. Very gently a new hangar being built across the tarmac just folded in on itself and fell to the ground. Massive structure. Bad day for someone.

Comment

• Too Little Time
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Canoeyawl

Scaffolding is not designed to have one leg knocked out from under it. If there was a load at the top where the leg was knocked out, the scaffolding could have zippered along the length of the building. Tearing out any ties to the building.
                            Life is complex.

Comment

• Joris
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Too Little Time
                              Scaffolding is not designed to have one leg knocked out from under it. If there was a load at the top where the leg was knocked out, the scaffolding could have zippered along the length of the building. Tearing out any ties to the building.
                              If it is build according to manufacturer-specifications and it passed final inspection, you should be able to knock out a few vertical supports without the scaffolding collapsing. As one of the few safety-inspectors in our country that is certified for scaffolding-inspection i see the problems with these things every day: contractors who supply the scaffolding need to make money and cut corners, the guys that put them up never had any training or don't understand what they are doing and make things even worse. And then the final inspection doesn't even take place because nobody knows what they are doing...

Joris

Comment

Working...