PDA

View Full Version : source for shirts

Robert Mann
11-30-2000, 07:41 AM
I am looking for rowing shirts that have horizontal wide stripes in Navy blue and white. Sailors of the past wore them and I believe the Russian Navy still wears them. A rowing crew on page 325 of John Gardner's BUILDING CLASSIC SMALL CRAFT book is wearing just what I want. Anyone know of a source?
Thank you in advance!

Robert Mann
I am looking for rowing shirts that have horizontal wide stripes in Navy blue and white. Sailors of the past wore them and I believe the Russian Navy still wears them. A rowing crew on page 325 of John Gardner's BUILDING CLASSIC SMALL CRAFT book is wearing just what I want. Anyone know of a source?
Thank you in advance!

Robert Mann
Thank you in advance!

ishmael
11-30-2000, 09:27 AM
Gee, J. Peterman Co. used to carry 'em, but I seem to remember they're out of business. Maybe search the web for surplus companies. You might even find a real Russian one. Best of luck, and if you find any interesting surplus catalogues, let us know.

ishmael
Gee, J. Peterman Co. used to carry 'em, but I seem to remember they're out of business. Maybe search the web for surplus companies. You might even find a real Russian one. Best of luck, and if you find any interesting surplus catalogues, let us know.

ishmael

Kermit
11-30-2000, 12:06 PM
The shanty singing group I'm in went looking for just what you describe. We had all sorts of vendors and silkscreeners looking for us, to no avail. One of our number found them in France, but they were very pricey. I picked up a couple of Russian Navy striped shirts a couple of years back, but the availability is unpredictable--and the stripes are narrow. Quality wasn't much either. So of you find a source, please post it. We finally found a bolt of navy/white cotton/spandex fabric and had them made up for us. What a hassle.

Kermit
The shanty singing group I'm in went looking for just what you describe. We had all sorts of vendors and silkscreeners looking for us, to no avail. One of our number found them in France, but they were very pricey. I picked up a couple of Russian Navy striped shirts a couple of years back, but the availability is unpredictable--and the stripes are narrow. Quality wasn't much either. So of you find a source, please post it. We finally found a bolt of navy/white cotton/spandex fabric and had them made up for us. What a hassle.

Kermit

Todd Bradshaw
11-30-2000, 05:35 PM
Three possible options to check out:
http://www.brittany-botique.com
they have several types and as far as I can tell, are in France, but ship overseas.
http://www.frenchware.net (if you add /retail.htm it gives three shops in the USA
http://www.steamertrunkmerchants.com/sailorshirts.htm

These are all the real thing and priced as such. Some companies make a less expensive, lighter weight model - but it will still cost you $50. The normal weight shirts are really heavy-duty and will probably out-live the wearer. They're also going to shrink about a full size, so buy them big.

P.S.
My brother-in-law was in the Russian Navy. From what I've heard, the preffered model there was the one with the lead foil lining...

T.E.B.

Todd Bradshaw
they have several types and as far as I can tell, are in France, but ship overseas.
http://www.frenchware.net (if you add /retail.htm it gives three shops in the USA

These are all the real thing and priced as such. Some companies make a less expensive, lighter weight model - but it will still cost you $50. The normal weight shirts are really heavy-duty and will probably out-live the wearer. They're also going to shrink about a full size, so buy them big.

P.S.
My brother-in-law was in the Russian Navy. From what I've heard, the preffered model there was the one with the lead foil lining...

T.E.B.

Todd Bradshaw

P.S.

T.E.B.

Kermit
12-01-2000, 07:09 PM
For Todd's first site, try spelling it "boutique." Makes all the difference.

Great information--thanks, Todd.

Kermit

Kermit

Todd Bradshaw
12-01-2000, 10:04 PM
OK, so I can't spell. I think I have some sort of mental block. Lignum Vitae, I believe and the print in my dictionary seems to get smaller every day...

Todd Bradshaw
OK, so I can't spell. I think I have some sort of mental block. Lignum Vitae, I believe and the print in my dictionary seems to get smaller every day...

Todd Bradshaw

Robert Mann
12-02-2000, 06:53 AM
Thank you, Todd. Frenchware has what I am looking for and I will probably order a heavyweight($79), and a lightweight($49),. I also like their matching caps. I started rowing last summer for fun/exercise with my Catspaw Dinghy and CLC Annapolis Wherry. I am presently building Ken Basset's LIZ for rowing next summer. She is a classy boat and I have to be dressed in style to go with the boat. I will be out rowing this weekend with some ice on the water but it is like eating peanuts.....once you start, it is difficult to stop. Besides, its a religious experience....the surrounding mountains are covered with snow and the water has a beautiful blue color this time of the year. Vallecito Res. near Durango, Colorado

Robert Mann
Thank you, Todd. Frenchware has what I am looking for and I will probably order a heavyweight($79), and a lightweight($49),. I also like their matching caps. I started rowing last summer for fun/exercise with my Catspaw Dinghy and CLC Annapolis Wherry. I am presently building Ken Basset's LIZ for rowing next summer. She is a classy boat and I have to be dressed in style to go with the boat. I will be out rowing this weekend with some ice on the water but it is like eating peanuts.....once you start, it is difficult to stop. Besides, its a religious experience....the surrounding mountains are covered with snow and the water has a beautiful blue color this time of the year. Vallecito Res. near Durango, Colorado

Robert Mann