PDA

View Full Version : Yacht Signals Code Book ??

Ian McColgin
10-16-2000, 08:24 AM
Years back, and lost with Goblin to Hurricane Bob, I had a flag signal code book with a name something like this. If memory serves, it was cooked up by a group of Great Lakes sailors who did flotilla maneuvering, and was adapted from old US and Admiralty codes. Anyone got a sourse?

Ian McColgin
Years back, and lost with Goblin to Hurricane Bob, I had a flag signal code book with a name something like this. If memory serves, it was cooked up by a group of Great Lakes sailors who did flotilla maneuvering, and was adapted from old US and Admiralty codes. Anyone got a sourse?

Ian McColgin

Bob Cleek
10-21-2000, 04:22 PM
HO 102, International Code of Signals... US Edition, US Govt. Printing Office. West Marine had them once upon a time. "Yacht Signals"... the identification of the yacht by name, is found in Lloyd's Register.

I have a few favorites:

MDR: Pain is increased by action of bowels.
MEX: Swelling is hard.
MEZ: Swellling is hot and red.
MFB: Swelling is discharging.
MJO: Patient has bleeding hemorrhoids.
MLE: Patient has had much alcohol.

And so on... used in the proper context, these can be a lot of fun. I remember barely dodging a DD coming in the Gate once... a common occurrence on a Sunday afternoon. WE ran up "MKZ." There was some scrambling around on the flag bridge until they read, "Patient has no control over his bowels." Shortly, she ran up "MRZ," "Was the result of the enema satisfactory?"

Bob Cleek
HO 102, International Code of Signals... US Edition, US Govt. Printing Office. West Marine had them once upon a time. "Yacht Signals"... the identification of the yacht by name, is found in Lloyd's Register.

I have a few favorites:

And so on... used in the proper context, these can be a lot of fun. I remember barely dodging a DD coming in the Gate once... a common occurrence on a Sunday afternoon. WE ran up "MKZ." There was some scrambling around on the flag bridge until they read, "Patient has no control over his bowels." Shortly, she ran up "MRZ," "Was the result of the enema satisfactory?"

Bob Cleek

I have a few favorites:

Ian McColgin
10-22-2000, 06:39 AM
Exactly the kind of signaling we mostly do out here & great for laughs. This yacht signal book, on the other hand, concerned itself with fleet manoevers. I envision a groupd of boats out doing a kind of dance or ballet rather than racing.

Ian McColgin
Exactly the kind of signaling we mostly do out here & great for laughs. This yacht signal book, on the other hand, concerned itself with fleet manoevers. I envision a groupd of boats out doing a kind of dance or ballet rather than racing.

Ian McColgin

Ed Harrow
10-22-2000, 01:24 PM
ROTFLMHO, Robert Cleek - oh how we've missed you...

Ed Harrow

Ed Harrow

Ian McColgin
10-22-2000, 06:12 PM
Does this mean I'll have to take my code book to work where I'm more near the net.

S
N

Ian McColgin
Does this mean I'll have to take my code book to work where I'm more near the net.

S
N

Ian McColgin

S
N

dngoodchild
10-24-2000, 03:19 AM
Ian asked me about this and I did a search of my sources but couldn't find it. It is not the Internatioal Code of Signals book but a separate publication as I understand it specifically aimed at yachtsmen. If anyone ever comes up with a source I will be glad to reprint it (assuming copyright availability) and make it available. Cheers.

dngoodchild
Ian asked me about this and I did a search of my sources but couldn't find it. It is not the Internatioal Code of Signals book but a separate publication as I understand it specifically aimed at yachtsmen. If anyone ever comes up with a source I will be glad to reprint it (assuming copyright availability) and make it available. Cheers.

dngoodchild