PDA

View Full Version : Truth from Dr. Krugman

Gerarddm
10-02-2015, 10:40 AM
The usually reliable Paul Krugman of the NYTimes eviscerates the propensity for GOP presidential candidates to propose economic plans that skewer the middle class and gold-Plate the wealthy in today's Op-Ed piece . Here is the money paragraph:

In other words, it’s straightforward and quite stark: Republicans support big tax cuts for the wealthy because that’s what wealthy donors want. No doubt most of those donors have managed to convince themselves that what’s good for them is good for America. But at root it’s about rich people supporting politicians who will make them richer. Everything else is just rationalization.

Norman Bernstein
10-02-2015, 10:49 AM
No doubt most of those donors have managed to convince themselves that what’s good for them is good for America.

And thus was born 'trickle-down' economics.

The only question is whether these fools actually believe it works, despite decades of actual evidence to the contrary.....

....or have been chuckling to themselves, for decades, about just how easy it is to convince the low-information voters to vote against their interests.

Too Little Time
10-02-2015, 12:12 PM
The usually reliable Paul Krugman of the NYTimes eviscerates the propensity for GOP presidential candidates to propose economic plans that skewer the middle class and gold-Plate the wealthy in today's Op-Ed piece . Here is the money paragraph:

In other words, it’s straightforward and quite stark: Republicans support big tax cuts for the wealthy because that’s what wealthy donors want. No doubt most of those donors have managed to convince themselves that what’s good for them is good for America. But at root it’s about rich people supporting politicians who will make them richer. Everything else is just rationalization.

Both parties want to make themselves richer. They just have different methods.

It would be helpful if Krugman would define his terms. He tends to misuse the term middle class. He fails to do provide a definition here:

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/21841-paul-krugman-redefining-the-middle-class

I think he wants a "secure yet modest living standard." There is a calculator here that puts monetary limits on the middle class using that criteria here:

http://www.epi.org/publication/what-families-need-to-get-by-epis-2015-family-budget-calculator/

But those numbers leave a lot of "middle class" people classified as "rich." That makes a lot of people angry.

slug
10-02-2015, 11:28 PM
One party wants to make everybody richer.

The other party wants to make the rich richer. At the expense of everybody else.

That's why they are evil, not just misguided or ignorant, but evil.

Why do you support them?

Krugman is a highly politicized talking head who takes extreme stands on issues .

do not elect this man to public office or consult him on policy matters

Gerarddm
10-03-2015, 01:05 AM
Krugman is a Pulitzer Prize winner.

slug
10-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Krugman is a Pulitzer Prize winner.

and he has been using monetary policy to solve problems since he was a child .

He is a broken record.

The US is faced with structural problems.

http://youtu.be/szwclmmKwLg

Too Little Time
10-03-2015, 09:19 AM
One party wants to make everybody richer.

The other party wants to make the rich richer. At the expense of everybody else.

That's why they are evil, not just misguided or ignorant, but evil.

Why do you support them?

The story I hear is that the middle class and poor have been losers for the past 40 years while the rich have gotten richer.

For me to believe your claim you need to tell a real good story.

slug
10-03-2015, 10:13 AM
The story I hear is that the middle class and poor have been losers for the past 40 years while the rich have gotten richer.

For me to believe your claim you need to tell a real good story.

yah..thats the liberal line...talking point.

the reality is that the American middle class is in the top one percent of global earnings.

Not bad.

George Jung
10-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Nobody here cares if TLT and 'slug' 'believe our story'.

JAFT - a pair.

slug
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Yah...dont care much for liberal talking points because they always mis the point.

the present challenge in American is not to increase the income of the middle class it is to increase the number of families who can achieve it.

the liberals have no idea how to accomplish this.

Too Little Time
10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Yah...don't care much for liberal talking points because they always miss the point.

the present challenge in American is not to increase the income of the middle class it is to increase the number of families who can achieve it.

I think you make a fair point. The division between the middle class and the rich is 200% of the median income. In '73 14% of the families were rich. In '13 20% of the families were rich. There has been little if any change in the percentage of poor over that time period.

While a lot of the middle class is unhappy, they are moving up.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/02/349863761/40-years-of-income-inequality-in-america-in-graphs

slug
10-03-2015, 11:16 AM
My impression is that the middle class is doing just fine. I am middle class, all my mates are middle class.

The middle class do face challenges but these challenges are simple to address.

When listening to the liberals you would believe that the whole system is ready to collapse.

i wont bite.

Bring healthcare costs down, keep in state schooling affordable, reduce the regulatory burden on small buisness and the middle class grows.

easy. No need for class warfare...them against us.

slug
10-03-2015, 11:43 AM
That's why you complain incessantly about how overtaxed you are, right?

Yup...and stop eyeballing my cash pile.

Flying Orca
10-03-2015, 11:47 AM
JAFT - a pair.

JAFPOT! (Bilge bingo...)

George Jung
10-03-2015, 11:48 AM
I thought of that... didn't know if it was 'codified'

elf
10-03-2015, 11:57 AM
The only problem I see with Paul is that he is unable to recognize that a consumption-based economy cannot survive unrestricted population expansion and environmentally exploitive growth.

Altho his position seems to hold water, its assumptions are the death knell of it.

Flying Orca
10-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I thought of that... didn't know if it was 'codified'

It is now. ;)

(I don't recall whether anyone used the term "JAFT" before I did, but I'm glad to see it getting some currency, anyway.)

Gerarddm
10-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Yah...dont care much for liberal talking points because they always mis the point.

the liberals have no idea how to accomplish this.

I regret to inform you that you are clueless. My condolences.

BTW, may I suggest that we both increase middle class income AND increase the number of middle class families?