PDA

View Full Version : What magazines do you read?

Rum_Pirate
10-01-2015, 10:48 AM
What boating magazines do you subscribe to or read?

elf
10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Strange choices.

wizbang 13
10-01-2015, 10:54 AM
none

Paul Pless
10-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Strange choices.
strange man :D

Peerie Maa
10-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Should be multiple choice. As it is not, I cannot take part.

Rich Jones
10-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Those who don't subscribe to WoodenBoat should be banned for life.

Todd D
10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
In addition to Wooden Boat I also receive Power and Motoryacht and read Professional Boatbuilder at the library.

Curtism
10-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Those who don't subscribe to WoodenBoat should be banned for life.

Would that apply to those of us who've had subscriptions to their sister publication, Professional Boatbuilder? I'd been a subscriber to them for decades, since long before I even knew what a web-site/fan-forum was.

Michael D. Storey
10-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Vanity Fair

Katherine
10-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Mother Earth News

Sky Blue
10-01-2015, 02:52 PM
How do you know it's a man?

Oh, cut him some slack. He's been heard to speak of unconscious bias. At least he knows it exists, even if he can't recognize it in himself.;)

WB
Classic Boat
Salmon Trout Steelheader
Fly Fisherman
Powder
Backpacker
Nat Geo
Whatever else is lying around

Keith Wilson
10-01-2015, 03:00 PM
I have subscriptions to WB, The New Republic, and Popular Woodworking. I used to subscribe to The Economist, but it ran out and I haven't renewed it yet. I read Fine Woodworking sometimes.

skuthorp
10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Don't subscribe but buy every issue. It's a small town and I like to support the local agent's business.

Paul Pless
10-01-2015, 03:02 PM
How do you know it's a man?

Oh, cut him some slack. He's been heard to speak of unconscious bias. At least he knows it exists, even if he can't recognize it in himself.http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/smilies/icon12.png

doug's posted selfies

fortunately, he's also posted other pics to make up for posting selfies

Rum_Pirate
10-01-2015, 03:12 PM
doug's posted selfies

fortunately, he's also posted other pics to make up for posting selfies I got banned for quite a while for two of them. :ycool:

Paul Pless
10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
never did find that knife on the tiller. . .

ahp
10-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Sky and Telescope, and Scientific American

purri
10-01-2015, 05:17 PM
^ in your neck of the woods no doubt.

Duncan Gibbs
10-01-2015, 05:34 PM
^ in your red-neck of the woods no doubt.
FTFY!... :p

Rich Jones
10-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Would that apply to those of us who've had subscriptions to their sister publication, Professional Boatbuilder? I'd been a subscriber to them for decades, since long before I even knew what a web-site/fan-forum was.Nope... sorry... can't cut you any slack. Professional Boatbuilder advocates building in things other then wood, a clear heresy when participating on a wooden boat forum. Plus, I don't think PB has been around for decades.
Just to be clear, this post has a big :D attached to it!

bobbys
10-01-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm a Conservitive, im to frugal for supscriptions , The only one I got for years was fine Homebuilding , I live in a rural area, The stores never carried it do I had to subscribe, They did not stock wooden boat. The stores seem to have 6dozen women's magazines. I like to read Cosmo at the check out counter out loud.

45 ways to please Yer man, where IS yer Gspot, 20 best sex positions,etc..

Curtism
10-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Nope... sorry... can't cut you any slack. Professional Boatbuilder advocates building in things other then wood, a clear heresy when participating on a wooden boat forum. Plus, I don't think PB has been around for decades.
Just to be clear, this post has a big :D attached to it!

(I'll see your big :D and raise you one smiling dog on the upper left corner of every one of my posts.)

The oldest PBB I could find on the web was issue #2 from 1990, and 2.5 x 10 qualifies as 'decades' in my book. And I been reading that mag at least that long, if not before my birth.

http://cdn.woodenboatstore.com/images/uploads/Professional_Boatbuilder_2_199002P.jpg

As far a the, quote, "heresy" of "other materials" goes, you puritans wouldn't continue to exist, were it not for us modern 'darksiders'. Somebody has to keep up a semblance of profitability, no?

Think about it. The cat who would shell out $132 K for a gull wing minivan isn't likely to wait 5 years for some piano builder to carve out a wooden 'boat' for his kids to tear up, now. Is he? :d (< in case you missed the smiling avatar)

Canoeyawl
10-01-2015, 10:37 PM
This is one of those "Gotcha" polls isn't it?

bamamick
10-02-2015, 06:59 AM
WoodenBoat, Hobby Farm, Small Craft Advisor. Not too many others. I used to read 'Classic Boat' religiously but at about $13 a pop it's pretty pricey.

Mickey Lake

Curtism
10-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Here's some gun pron for Ron, available on your grocer's magazine rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=697AqIglrdE

Ian McColgin
10-02-2015, 07:19 AM
I only subscribe to WoodenBoat. I love my library and go there for Mother Jones, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, The Smithsonian, National Geographic, and a splattering of science and nature magazines by weekly whim. And MaryEllen gets Vanity Fair which I read mostly, complaining about the complex layout all the while.

Curtism
10-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Some of those I buy occasionally, the long range one is great, nothing like belonging to the one mile club. There is nothing like touching off that 50 cal.

Hey whatever sends a tingle up your pant-leg is fine with me. Ranges and competitive shooting are great ways to blow off steam.

Just don't take your love to town, Ruby. ;)

elf
10-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Well, if it's not a poll, but an opportunity to reveal the limits of ones literacy, then I'll play along. WoodenBoat, Orion, Sailing, The New Yorker, Classic Boat, Mass Audubon, Audubon, Sierra, Country Dance and Song, and Outdoors come into my house in paper form. I also subscribe online to Early Music Today, the New York Times and the Guardian, and receive Sailing Scuttlebutt by email (as do many of us).

Orion, Country Dance and Song, and Mass Audubon get saved, Classic Boat is a shared subscription with a local boatbuilder, and the rest get recycled to the local Toyota waiting room and the health center waiting room.

I read a lot of stuff online.

I buy a lot of books as well, mostly about French Baroque music right now, altho sometimes also about Bach and Brahms and one-design sailboats.

And Doug hasn't yet responded to my invitation to be friends on FB.

Michael D. Storey
10-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Was it Elvstrom who used his knife to cant his center board enough to gain the advantage and win the gold medal? It's all gettin fuzzy

David G
10-02-2015, 09:47 AM
SUBSCRIBE, OR READ REGULARLY --

WoodenBoat
Small Boat
Small Craft Advisor
Professional Boatbuilder
Duckworks Magazine
Trade Only
Epoxyworks
Fine Woodworking
Popular Woodworking
The Economist
Foreign Affairs
Christian Science Monitor
Dollars & Sense
The Progressive

READ OCCASIONALLY --

Fine Homebuilding
Mother Jones
National Geographic
Newsweek
Mother Earth News
Science
Car & Driver
Motor Trend
Sports Illustrated
ESPN

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few on the second list

Rum_Pirate
10-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Which one on which boat?