Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stromborg
    • Sep 2010

Dunphy runabout restoration

I know, the last project was only launched a month ago. My name is Steve and I am a serial boat builder.

With that out of the way, a friend has given me an old Dunphy runabout. 17' long built in plywood lapstrake over what appear to be bent oak frames. From what I have gathered Dunphy made boats in this style from about 1958 through 1963 when they closed up shop. Ed started "restoring" it a number of years ago in his garage by sanding almost all the paint off the outside and pulling all the furnishings out before he got bored with it so at least I can see everything. It is actually in pretty good shape, no obviously cracked frames and all the planks above the waterline seem solid while those below have a bit of water damage on their exposed edges along the transom and a few soft areas on the outer veneers. I know, nothing is more expensive than a free boat but my wife is excited about it and I think it will be fun.

Pictures once I get it hauled into my shop. I do have a question about how they would have fastened this together back the day. The below the waterline planks have rivets every few inches, above they appear to be only fastened to the frames. Would Dunphy have used a glue like resorcinol on the laps or relied on the fasteners? I can't tell just yet and none of the seams that I can see so far have opened up. I have the usual assortment of boatbuilding books on the shelf but nothing about these old runabouts so tips on good resources are appreciated too.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan
  • stromborg
    • Sep 2010

Re: Dunphy runabout restoration

Pictures

This is what a freshly restored one looks like.

Mine was more like this when Ed picked it up.

At least he sanded off most of the paint.

Nice wheel. Note the planks are through-bolted from the keel up past the turn of the bilge, glued and lots of narrow crown staples after that.

Sadly that wheel has disappeared into the maw of Ed's garage, guess I'll just have to find something more fitting.

She'll be coming home today, I am carting the heavy stuff out of the hull and doing a bit of shoring up before I drag it the 4 miles to my shop.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Comment

• wizbang 13
      • Oct 2009

No loss of that helm . It looks dangerous for a planing boat . Better fit on a sailing vessel. The spokes are for a loop of line.
      Nice project! Check for hook .These type boats are notorious for trailer damage.

Comment

• stromborg
        • Sep 2010

I'm on a steep learning curve with this one, I'm used to sailboats. By "hook" I am assuming you are describing a curve in the keel induced by a big old outboard hanging on the transom and not having the transom supported by the trailer? If so it looks like this one has about 3/4" worth, mostly in the last 9 or so inches. There is a roughly 2"x3" oak backbone running down the center of the boat, on top of the bent frames, can I pull this out and just plane out the curve?
        Steve

H.A. Calahan

Comment

• AndreasJordahlRhude
          • Mar 2008

Nice rig

Brochures for Dunphy Boat have been scanned and placed onto CD-ROM. I am not certain who is selling them however.

I have very little experience with the Dunphy lapstrake boats. But I would guess there was some type of adhesive between lapstrake planks above the waterline.

Andreas

Andreas

Comment

• chuckt
            • Oct 2009

Kewl
            Chuck Thompson

Comment

• Pags
              • Jan 2013

Hi Steve,

I'm near completion of restoring a 1962 Dunphy Voyager for a client which is very similar to this boat. They just pointed me to your post. How's it coming?

I keep a blog here.

I found the planks to have an adhesive similar in character to 3M 5200. Besides being fastened to the frames, the lapstrake overlaps are fastened with a ½" silicon bronze screws between the frames.

What did you do for the hook?

Comment

• woodpile
                • Jul 2008

Pretty little boat, that flared bow is very nice.

Comment

• Rich Jones
                  What boat to build next?
                  • Apr 2009

I fixed up an old PennYan of the same size and condition years ago. Really enjoyed the restoration.
                  Enjoy!
                  I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                  Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• D Morris
                    • Apr 2014

I was just put on to the Dunphy X55. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find plans to build one?
                    Never ask a amateur boat builder "Are you done yet?". The only correct question is "Can I buy you a beer and steak dinner?".

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                      Landlocked
                      • Dec 2005

Nice find. It would be the kind of motorboat I'd want for Tennessee. I'm not a fan of that wheel for this boat either. Otherwise, I'm sort of jealous.
                      One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• stromborg
                        • Sep 2010

I have visions of crabbing and sunset cruises with my sweetie on the Dunphy one of these days. I have to finish building our house first, in the meanwhile the boat is safely tucked under a tarp waiting it's turn.
                        Steve

H.A. Calahan

Comment

• pcford
                          boatwright/film/video
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stromborg
                          I'm on a steep learning curve with this one, I'm used to sailboats. By "hook" I am assuming you are describing a curve in the keel induced by a big old outboard hanging on the transom and not having the transom supported by the trailer? If so it looks like this one has about 3/4" worth, mostly in the last 9 or so inches. There is a roughly 2"x3" oak backbone running down the center of the boat, on top of the bent frames, can I pull this out and just plane out the curve?
                          I did runabout restoration for 35 years; I have worked on several boats of similar construction. I was offered a Dunphy to work on but the owner and I decided that that particular boat was not worth our mutual time. This type of boat is very lightly constructed and if improperly stored on a trailer, the weight of the engine will produce a hook in the bottom. If this is not corrected, the boat will be unstable at speed. I worked on a Thompson that had a hook and I corrected it by building a bronze brace to shove the bottom back to its original position.
                          Last edited by pcford; 04-21-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• AndreasJordahlRhude
                            • Mar 2008

The Dunphy X55 was a sheet plywood planked inboard utility with stained/varnished hullsides- very similar to a Century Resorter of the time. Dunphy made them for a year or two just before their closure in 1966. I highly doubt there are plans.

Andreas

Comment

• stromborg
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by pcford
                              I did runabout restoration for 35 years; I have worked on several boats of similar construction. I was offered a Dunphy to work on but the owner and I decided that that particular boat was not worth our mutual time. This type of boat is very lightly constructed and if improperly stored on a trailer, the weight of the engine will produce a hook in the bottom. If this is not corrected, the boat will be unstable at speed. I worked on a Thompson that had a hook and I corrected it by building a bronze brace to shove the bottom back to its original position.
                              I've got my Dunphy set up it's trailer in way that might, over time settle some of that hook out, we'll see how it goes. Lightly constructed? That is an understatement! While the planks are brought together with very small machine screws (and I think some adhesive) the decks are held down by a bit of glue and copious numbers of narrow crown staples. The framing is pretty rough too, these were clearly not intended to be heirloom pieces.
                              Steve

H.A. Calahan

Comment

Working...