PDA

View Full Version : dealing with a 'bit' horse

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 09:32 AM
pus and all... antibiotics and clean out and more... Sarah says it could be a donkey bite but swears there's evidence of canine teeth... no, it's a gelding

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Does anyone have a dog there? And the relevance of being a gelding is....

James McMullen
09-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Stallions tend to pick fights more than mares or geldings, Jamie.

Also, see these bible verses: Job 39:19-20

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 09:51 AM
But, we are meant to assume this. Phillip's post is cryptic to say the least. He's talking about canine, then a donkey, then gelded. Is the horse bitten a female in estrus, a stallion, or was it gelded too? I can see a lot of um, situations that could result in a bite before I even broach the subject was canine.

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Stallions tend to pick fights more than mares or geldings, Jamie.

Also, see these bible verses: Job 39:19-20

Jamie knows that... he's just being himself

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 11:44 AM
And, your being cryptic as usual. You are like Paul Harvey; "And now the rest of the story!"

Vince Brennan
09-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Phil, Jamie wins this one. Try harder to communicate.

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Phil, Jamie wins this one. Try harder to communicate.

there's nothing to win or lose... just talking about a sick horse, not about me or Jamie

bit high on his neck (punctures on both sides with what apparently was one bite) so probably eliminates the possibility of any dog, etc

the suggestion of canines is all that keeps it from the Mammoth jack biting a horse... which it may have been anyway

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 12:07 PM
I really don't care about win or lose. His first post was cryptic. You can say what you want. It did not mention anything about the bite location etc. He mentioned canine and didn't follow through on that or discount it. It was just one sentence. If he had included, even a part of your post in his, the entire OP would make sense. It took you to make sense out of it.

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 12:09 PM
I really don't care about win or lose. His first post was cryptic. You can say what you want. It did not mention anything about the bite location etc. He mentioned canine and didn't follow through on that or discount it. It was just one sentence. If he had included, even a part of your post in his, the entire OP would make sense. It took you to make sense out of it.

you act like you're grading high school term papers... all the time

oznabrag
09-26-2015, 12:10 PM
http://featuredcreature.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/dsc_04077-195419.jpg

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 12:15 PM
you act like you're grading high school term papers... all the time Well, I did for 15-20 yrs. and my grading would have included comments sim. to yours if I had to grade it. Professors in my past, would have graded mine the same way and did!

KMacDonald
09-26-2015, 12:19 PM
What about the skunk?

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 12:26 PM
What about the skunk?

of the three of them, one got squashed in the street and I haven't seen the others in a while... one coon this morning... numerous cats

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Well, I did for 15-20 yrs. and my grading would have included comments sim. to yours if I had to grade it. Professors in my past, would have graded mine the same way and did!

"comes the Donn"

Paul Pless
09-26-2015, 12:29 PM
bit high on his neck vampire?

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 12:30 PM
vampire?

I haven't seen it but believe it to be the back of the neck... the Mammoth jack is a stallion

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Ah, finally but, Vince told me luckily. Anyway, I hope the horse improves with the antibiotics.

oznabrag
09-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Are you kidding?

BF knows EVERYTHING.:rolleyes:

KMacDonald
09-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Is this a boat forum or equestrian forum? Just saying.

oznabrag
09-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Is this a boat forum or equestrian forum? Just saying.

This is a 'Miscellaneous Non-Boat-Related' forum.

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 07:13 PM
This is a 'Miscellaneous Non-Boat-Related' forum.

neener-neener

Rum_Pirate
09-26-2015, 07:20 PM
pus and all... antibiotics and clean out and more... Sarah says it could be a donkey bite but swears there's evidence of canine teeth... no, it's a gelding

Other animals, than dogs, have canine teeth - including human beings and some horses*

*In addition to the incisors, premolars and molars, some, but not all, horses may also have canine teeth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_teeth

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 07:24 PM

for all your claimed expertise on animal behavior... had the bitten horse been a mare, it would be much easier to explain... see if you can figure it out now :)

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 07:32 PM
for all your claimed expertise on animal behavior... had the bitten horse been a mare, it would be much easier to explain... see if you can figure it out now :) No it wouldn't except in your mind Phillip. And you made the mistake of even saying it was a mare in your OP. You should have!

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 07:44 PM
*In addition to the incisors, premolars and molars, some, but not all, horses may also have canine teeth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_teeth- including human beings and some horses*

No kidding Sherlock! I suppose you have a lot of wolves in your back yard, coyotes and foxes on your porch, and friends who like to bite horses.

Most ungulates have developed reduced canine teeth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_teeth) and specialized molars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molar_(tooth)), including bunodont (low, rounded cusps) and hypsodont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsodont) (high crowned) teeth. The development of hypsodonty has been of particular interest as this adaptation was strongly associated with the spread of grasslands during the Miocene (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miocene) about 25 million years. As forest biomes declined, grasslands spread, opening new niches (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_niche) for mammals. Many ungulates switched from browsing diets to grazing diets, and possibly driven by abrasive silica in grass, hypsodonty became common. However, recent evidence ties the evolution of hyspodonty to open, gritty habitats and not the grass itself. This is termed the Grit, not grass hypothesis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grit,_not_grass_hypothesis).[50] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ungulate#cite_note-50)

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
No it wouldn't except in your mind Phillip. And you made the mistake of even saying it was a mare in your OP. You should have!

How in the world do you get so confused, Jamie... where did I say it was a mare?

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Here's your OP Phillip! Not changed, word for word. Do you see the word "mare" in it? If you do, can you point it out to me?

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Here's your OP Phillip! Not changed, word for word. Do you see the word "mare" in it? If you do, can you point it out to me?

right... where do I say mare in there? Oh, and you don't get good marks on your term paper as you left out the quote marks

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 08:55 PM
JEEZ, that's the bloody point! YOU DIDN'T. AND YOU SHOULD HAVE IN THE OP YOU WROTE!

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 08:57 PM
JEEZ, that's the bloody point! YOU DIDN'T.

but you did... "And you made the mistake of even saying it was a mare in your OP"

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Forget it. Read all the posts again, the only place I used "mare in estrus" in response to the OP as a possibility because your was exceedingly, very incomplete post I've seen very few oak logs that aren't denser than your head. Good bye!

KMacDonald
09-26-2015, 09:48 PM
PA, are you implying Jamie bit the beast?

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
I don't have a clue what in heck he's implying. For all I know, he could be.:)

Phillip Allen
09-26-2015, 10:38 PM
PA, are you implying Jamie bit the beast?

awww, leave him alone... he's been embarrassed enough for one thread

The Bigfella
09-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Muntjac. Does BF know?

Are you kidding?

BF knows EVERYTHING.:rolleyes:

Nah, I don't know which of you two sniffed the other first.

BrianW
09-27-2015, 02:02 AM
It's amazing that Phillip can't make a simple post without Jamie jumping on the smallest variable.

bobbys
09-27-2015, 02:19 AM
I grew up in the city, I'm scared to death of horses..

They know it..

My friend had a busted in skull from a horsy..

I do not go near them..

Main reason I never became a western TV cowboy.

Phillip Allen
09-27-2015, 07:10 AM
I grew up in the city, I'm scared to death of horses..

They know it..

My friend had a busted in skull from a horsy..

I do not go near them..

Main reason I never became a western TV cowboy.

that's rough... when we finally go all green you'll have to walk everywhere :)

Rich Jones
09-27-2015, 07:54 AM
When the horse was gelded, did he change his name from Bruce to Caitlyn?

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2015, 08:20 AM
It's amazing that Phillip can't make a simple post without Jamie jumping on the smallest variable.Brian when it's the OP, it's not to make it cryptic. This was his OP and cryptic. He should have made it clear. If you have a problem go ahead and decipher what wasn't said. Have fun!

Phillip Allen
09-27-2015, 08:47 AM
woulda, shoulda, coulda... the three most often used guilt-trip words

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2015, 08:51 AM
woulda, shoulda, coulda... the three most often used guilt-trip words And you should have, I agree. Go take care of your horse. That's what you Should be doing.

Phillip Allen
09-27-2015, 08:54 AM
And you should have, I agree. Go take care of your horse. That's what you Should be doing.

I'm just trying ti educate the back end of a horse right now :)

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I'm just trying ti educate the back end of a horse right now :)I assume you're not standing behind it! Then again....maybe I shouldn't.

The Bigfella
09-27-2015, 09:20 AM
SOP projection...Ha ha. Weed comment of the week

oznabrag
09-27-2015, 10:30 AM
When Dense meets Obtuse

Now that right there is FUNNY!:D

Nah, I don't know which of you two sniffed the other first.

SOP projection...

Yup.

Projecting homophobia onto EVERYTHING.

Pitiful, really.