PDA

View Full Version : Remember Keystone XL?

LeeG
09-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Just doesn't seem to matter anymore

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2015, 09:54 PM
It will come up again, count on it! The repugnuts are a little busy right now.

SMARTINSEN
09-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Just doesn't seem to matter anymore

So that explains why Hilz finally came out against it.

Chip-skiff
09-25-2015, 10:41 PM
With present low prices for oil, I can't imagine that the process (very costly extraction, long distance pipeline transport of a low-grade product, and costly refinining) would be profitable. With oil companies seeking bankruptcy, the money for graft and greasing the political wheels is just not there.

bob winter
09-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Good thing to be rid of.

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Good thing to be rid of.We are only rid of it long enough for McNuggets to catch his breath before starting another round on the pipeline.

George Jung
09-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Yep - off the radar, but not 'done'. They're still looking for right of way agreements, just not as noisily, not on the news cycle radar.

And..... $2.00 gas doesn't grease anything.

There was a bit in the NYTimes awhile back - 'Harpers govt.' was unhappy Hillary came out against KXL - 'the Canadian people' were disappointed, thought the next govt. would 'work with them'. Yep, ya got a real winner, in that one.

LeeG
09-26-2015, 08:58 AM
What folks didn't get was that other pipelines and routes were being developed to ship more oil from Canada and help relieve the back up in Cushing. The oil still made it to market.

LeeG
09-26-2015, 09:09 AM
So many pipelines, here's a 62 yr old one

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/09/24/enbridge-line5-oil-pipeline-straits-mackinac-spill-great-lakes/72582654/

George Jung
09-26-2015, 09:16 AM
My suspicion - there's more to this 'story' than what we've been told. I mentioned some time back, a 'blurb' in the agreement KXL was insisting on, allowing 're-purposing' of the pipeline for 'other use' - and a suspicion why they wanted access to the Ogallala aquifer - to pump water to other parts of the country. I don't trust those birds, and expect they're up to no good. Damned politicians and greed-mongers.

LeeG
09-26-2015, 09:34 AM
George, my take on the "more" is that it provided an arena for conflicting world views, interests of those directly affected, individual/community/corporate and those looking for narrative reinforcement. Folks on top of the aquifer are doing a fine job using it up without shipping it far.

George Jung
09-26-2015, 09:55 AM
'Using it up' - no doubt. Doesn't mean an outside interest wouldn't be interested in co-opting that resource for a $buck.

bob winter
09-26-2015, 10:03 AM
I wonder what the inspection process of something like this involves? 62 years seems like a long time.

So many pipelines, here's a 62 yr old one

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/09/24/enbridge-line5-oil-pipeline-straits-mackinac-spill-great-lakes/72582654/

LeeG
09-26-2015, 12:39 PM
I wonder what the inspection process of something like this involves? 62 years seems like a long time.

Same here, I'd rather see a new pipeline

John Smith
09-26-2015, 01:07 PM
I prefer making our rail lines safe. NO excuse, IMO, for trains derailing at this point in time.

Besides, if we don't maintain our railroads, why would we expect we'll maintain our pipelines?

BrianW
09-26-2015, 01:08 PM
It's not my circus to run, but remember that during these great times of low gas prices and oil companies not exploring new options or wells, the other shoe is waiting to fall. Oil prices will go back up, demand will again surpass supply, and there will be a delay of getting new oil to the market because nothing is going on now.

Some support such hardship because it teaches us a lesson. Others, the poor mostly, will just suffer.

bobbys
09-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Hillary is agin it..

Proof crazy left wing nuts and Bernie are pushing her to the left.

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 01:27 PM
It's not my circus to run, but remember that during these great times of low gas prices and oil companies not exploring new options or wells, the other shoe is waiting to fall. Oil prices will go back up, demand will again surpass supply, and there will be a delay of getting new oil to the market because nothing is going on now.

Some support such hardship because it teaches us a lesson. Others, the poor mostly, will just suffer.And when oil prices go down more people buy new gas guzzlers. Then, when gas goes up, these same people are screaming for more oil.

LeeG
09-26-2015, 01:29 PM

Some support such hardship because it teaches us a lesson. Others, the poor mostly, will just suffer.

You mean the hardship of the marketplace? The poor will always suffer.

George Jung
09-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Hehehe.... gotta laugh.... first Phillip, and now Brian, worried about 'the poor' as an argument. Where did that come from?

George Jung
09-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Want a 'new' pipeline? That's fine - let 'em dig up the old one, and replace the line over the current path. Looks like a win/win.

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Hehehe.... gotta laugh.... first Phillip, and now Brian, worried about 'the poor' as an argument. Where did that come from? They love to bring them up because they are helping to create them. PP, min. wage etc.

George Jung
09-26-2015, 05:07 PM
https://claytoonz.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/cjones09252015.jpg

BrianW
09-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Hehehe.... gotta laugh.... first Phillip, and now Brian, worried about 'the poor' as an argument. Where did that come from?

Perhaps you don't know enough about either of us to know where it comes from?

George Jung
09-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Well, yeah - that's why I asked! Gosh!

BrianW
09-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, yeah - that's why I asked! Gosh!

No, you weren't asking, you changed the topic from facts to personal insults.

These comments from a Doctor and a Trust Fund Baby.

Pretty ironic.

S.V. Airlie
09-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Brain, we are what we write in essence, even if we don't know people in person. What anyone writes and what they say is ingrained in his make-up. I'm thinking along the lines of one's consistent thoughts/opinions etc. connecting many of his posts. After a while, you get some idea of where someone is from.

George Jung
09-26-2015, 05:26 PM

No, you weren't asking, you changed the topic from facts to personal insults.

W
hy don't you point out that 'personal insult', kiddo. (take your time)

These comments from a Doctor and a Trust Fund Baby.

I give up - who's the Trust Fund Baby? Jamie? Man - been holding out!

Pretty ironic.

Brain, we are what we write in essence, even if we don't know people in person. What anyone writes and what they say is ingrained in his make-up. I'm thinking along the lines of one's consistent thoughts/opinions etc. connecting many of his posts. After a while, you get some idea of where someone is from.

Bingo. It is pretty remarkable the 'worried about the poor' is suddenly being bandied about - and at the same time. Curious.

BrianW
09-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Bingo. It is pretty remarkable the 'worried about the poor' is suddenly being bandied about - and at the same time. Curious.

It was one small comment summarizing what will happen when the oil market pendulum swings once again.

You can focus on that, again making it personal instead of discussing the topic, but that doesn't speak towards my contribution to the topic. It only reflects on you.

LeeG
09-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Brian, are you somehow implying that delay of the XL affects the poor?

BrianW
09-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Brian, are you somehow implying that delay of the XL affects the poor?

No.

mikefrommontana
09-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Brian is saying that cyclical energy pricing, and the economic results, generally hurt the poor the most. Nothing more than that.

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Brian is saying that cyclical energy pricing, and the economic results, generally hurt the poor the most. Nothing more than that. But, isn't that true with or without another pipeline?

Canoeyawl
09-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Speaking of oil, the promise of "more free stuff" brought this to mind.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Oil prices are so low that they are hovering at benchmarks not seen in years, plunging oil-dependent Alaska into a crippling budget deficit. But the industry's woes won't affect how much the state's oil investment account pays out to Alaskans, even though the government has been scrambling to pay the bills.

This year's payout will be a record $2,072 for nearly every man, woman and child who lives in the 49th state. Last year's check was $1,884, and the previous high was $2,069 in 2008.

CK 17
09-27-2015, 02:24 PM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Oil prices are so low that they are hovering at benchmarks not seen in years, plunging oil-dependent Alaska into a crippling budget deficit. But the industry's woes won't affect how much the state's oil investment account pays out to Alaskans, even though the government has been scrambling to pay the bills.

This year's payout will be a record $2,072 for nearly every man, woman and child who lives in the 49th state. Last year's check was $1,884, and the previous high was $2,069 in 2008.
I think that's more than they pay for a vote in Chicago :D

peb
09-27-2015, 02:47 PM
My suspicion - there's more to this 'story' than what we've been told. I mentioned some time back, a 'blurb' in the agreement KXL was insisting on, allowing 're-purposing' of the pipeline for 'other use' - and a suspicion why they wanted access to the Ogallala aquifer - to pump water to other parts of the country. I don't trust those birds, and expect they're up to no good. Damned politicians and greed-mongers.

Really? You are afraid that they are going to use an oil pipeline for water transport? Do you have any idea how much more water is consumed than oil? Which results in pipes that have to be much larder in diameter. A 36 inch diameter water pipe would not make a dent in any area's water needs.

This is almost as bad when you claimed it put the entire Ogallala at risk.

Why are you so adamantly opposed to something you know so little about?

George Jung
09-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Still stalking, peb? It's unbecoming.

Osborne Russell
09-27-2015, 05:20 PM

Sarah Palin switches from "Drill, Baby, Drill!" to "Burn, Baby, Burn!"

peb
09-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Still stalking, peb? It's unbecoming.

No, I was reading a thread and responded to a post. I will make a note to not respond to you from now on. Sorry