PDA

View Full Version : Boat for free?

sailor.p
03-20-2001, 01:30 AM
I dont have that much money, to get the boat I would like to have, so could somebody, please, tell me how to get a boat for free?
Im looking for a sailboat, 32-38 foot, with a sound hull.
Thanks..

sailor.p
I dont have that much money, to get the boat I would like to have, so could somebody, please, tell me how to get a boat for free?
Thanks..

sailor.p
Thanks..

ken mcclure
03-20-2001, 05:08 AM
Watch the classifieds in WoodenBoat mag. At the very end of Boats For Sale is a section (usually) Boats For Free.

Be careful, tho. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Be prepared to do some work!

ken mcclure
Watch the classifieds in WoodenBoat mag. At the very end of Boats For Sale is a section (usually) Boats For Free.

Be careful, tho. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Be prepared to do some work!

ken mcclure

Ed Harrow
03-20-2001, 08:42 AM
Take a look at Pete's Boat shop. He got the Hinckley for the cost of moving.

House and cockpit pretty bad, a couple of bad frames, and rudder. She's double planked and whatever was holding the two together has pretty much given up, so Pete's still in the thinking stages on that.

I looked at a Gulfstream 30 this weekend, advertised at $21-22K or so. The screws holding the bronze floors to the frames are pulling out (the lower ends of these frames are rotten), the transom is trash, the horn beam is suspect (at best), the toe rail about the transom has been consumed, several planks that no longer "talk back with authority to the plastic hammer". Likely this will be a free boat, soon.

I'm not trying to discourage you, they are out there, but in several years of looking for a boat that needs the right amount of work and is offered at the right price, I can tell you that the pickings are slim and the values are inflated.

Good luck!

Ed Harrow

House and cockpit pretty bad, a couple of bad frames, and rudder. She's double planked and whatever was holding the two together has pretty much given up, so Pete's still in the thinking stages on that.

I looked at a Gulfstream 30 this weekend, advertised at $21-22K or so. The screws holding the bronze floors to the frames are pulling out (the lower ends of these frames are rotten), the transom is trash, the horn beam is suspect (at best), the toe rail about the transom has been consumed, several planks that no longer "talk back with authority to the plastic hammer". Likely this will be a free boat, soon.

I'm not trying to discourage you, they are out there, but in several years of looking for a boat that needs the right amount of work and is offered at the right price, I can tell you that the pickings are slim and the values are inflated.

Good luck!

Ed Harrow

Good luck!

Bruce Hooke
03-20-2001, 09:31 AM
Unless you can talk someone into donating a boat to you (can you turn this into some sort of cause - sailing for inner city kids or some such?) I think you should be prepared to find that any free boats (such as the ones that show up at the end of the WoodenBoat classifieds) will need a LOT of work to put them into sailing condition. If you do the labor yourself that can save you some money, but wood, fasteners and related stuff still add up in a big hurry (especially when it's on top of the cost of paying for somewhere else to live during the many months (years?) of rebuilding. Even beyond that, I would encourage you to carefully consider what it will cost just to keep a boat that size up and running once you have done all the necessary repairs. I lived on a 23 foot boat for 9 months...are you sure you need a 32-38 footer (most boat costs go up as the cube of the length so a 32-38 foot boat is really 2.75 to 4.5 times as much boat as a 23 footer.

Bruce Hooke
Unless you can talk someone into donating a boat to you (can you turn this into some sort of cause - sailing for inner city kids or some such?) I think you should be prepared to find that any free boats (such as the ones that show up at the end of the WoodenBoat classifieds) will need a LOT of work to put them into sailing condition. If you do the labor yourself that can save you some money, but wood, fasteners and related stuff still add up in a big hurry (especially when it's on top of the cost of paying for somewhere else to live during the many months (years?) of rebuilding. Even beyond that, I would encourage you to carefully consider what it will cost just to keep a boat that size up and running once you have done all the necessary repairs. I lived on a 23 foot boat for 9 months...are you sure you need a 32-38 footer (most boat costs go up as the cube of the length so a 32-38 foot boat is really 2.75 to 4.5 times as much boat as a 23 footer.

Bruce Hooke

JMAC
03-20-2001, 04:30 PM
As a friend told me, if your going to look at a boat with an eye towards getting a deal make sure the sails are in good shape and the rigging and fittings are all there.

I took his advice and picked up a free 23' centerboard sloop in November. It didn't stay free for long and it does need work, but its beautiful and it improved my daydreams tenfold!

JMAC
As a friend told me, if your going to look at a boat with an eye towards getting a deal make sure the sails are in good shape and the rigging and fittings are all there.

I took his advice and picked up a free 23' centerboard sloop in November. It didn't stay free for long and it does need work, but its beautiful and it improved my daydreams tenfold!

JMAC

BrianCunningham
03-21-2001, 11:20 AM
Here's link with a listing.
http://www.goodoldboat.com/fixer-uppers.html

Keep in mind that it can cost more to rebuild a FREE boat than it's worth!

BrianCunningham

BrianCunningham

Stephen
03-21-2001, 12:02 PM
Well, there not free, but...
SALTS (sail and life training society) receives boats for tax purposes and then turns them around and sells them to benefit their sail training program. I know a lot of people have found good deals there.
Some of their boats for sale are listed on their website:

http://www.saltsociety.com/

Stephen
SALTS (sail and life training society) receives boats for tax purposes and then turns them around and sells them to benefit their sail training program. I know a lot of people have found good deals there.

Stephen

Jamie Hascall
03-26-2001, 02:14 AM
The only free boat I've gotten was a 16' cedar strip canoe hull that ended up costing me about $500 and an entire summers labor. When all was said and done, I had a boat that was beautiful, but didn't meet my needs since the hull form was not sound. I sold it to some folks that liked pretty things and bought the boat I wanted. I'd recommend saving your money and looking for the boat you actually want. There are amazing deals out there in wooden boats, so make the commitment and look for what really suits you.

Good luck,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall
The only free boat I've gotten was a 16' cedar strip canoe hull that ended up costing me about $500 and an entire summers labor. When all was said and done, I had a boat that was beautiful, but didn't meet my needs since the hull form was not sound. I sold it to some folks that liked pretty things and bought the boat I wanted. I'd recommend saving your money and looking for the boat you actually want. There are amazing deals out there in wooden boats, so make the commitment and look for what really suits you.

Good luck,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Good luck,
Jamie