PDA

View Full Version : Self Tailing Conversion Kits

Mike Randall
02-25-2001, 11:41 PM
I am trying to find out if I can get a kit to convert my Barient #26 & #28 sheet winches into self tailing. I heard a rumour that these kits were available for these winches, but have had no luck in tracking them down. I am also looking for a supplier for the following Barient Winches in BC or as near to Victoria as possible. My main requirement on this front is the manuals to all these winches:
#28, #26, #22, #16 Sheet Winch
#3 Wire Halyard.
#24 Rope Halyard
If anyone can help that would be a big help.
Yours
Mike Randall

Mike Randall
I am trying to find out if I can get a kit to convert my Barient #26 & #28 sheet winches into self tailing. I heard a rumour that these kits were available for these winches, but have had no luck in tracking them down. I am also looking for a supplier for the following Barient Winches in BC or as near to Victoria as possible. My main requirement on this front is the manuals to all these winches:
#3 Wire Halyard.
#24 Rope Halyard
Yours
Mike Randall

Mike Randall
#3 Wire Halyard.
#24 Rope Halyard
Yours
Mike Randall

paladin
02-26-2001, 07:31 AM
Mike,
I am going to assume you are intimately familiar with the use of the winches mentioned.
I am also going to assume that the halyard winches that you mention are the reel halyard type...perhaps I am mistaken....but if I happen to be right...CAUTION please. The old reel halyard winches had a brake or clutch that was not the most reliable in the world and the winches are famous for broken arms and wrists. If the handle is locked in and the brake or clutch lips, the winch handle spins around with a tremendous amount of energy as the sail falls.....be careful.

paladin
Mike,
I am going to assume you are intimately familiar with the use of the winches mentioned.
I am also going to assume that the halyard winches that you mention are the reel halyard type...perhaps I am mistaken....but if I happen to be right...CAUTION please. The old reel halyard winches had a brake or clutch that was not the most reliable in the world and the winches are famous for broken arms and wrists. If the handle is locked in and the brake or clutch lips, the winch handle spins around with a tremendous amount of energy as the sail falls.....be careful.

paladin
Mike,