X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James McMullen
    老板
    • Apr 2007

Feeling depressed

Well, the welcome distraction of the Wooden Boat Festival is over, and I'm glumly sitting here trying to come to terms with the unpleasant reality that It'll be December before I see Katie again, dammit. Plus the sailing weather this weekend looks pretty bleak. Also, I'm invited to go to a wedding on saturday--which I'll have to go to alone--and I'm also almost out of beer tonight already. Cripes! A wedding? With a happy couple?! I hate them so much. . .

Won't someone pick a fight with me over religion or politics or the proper way to leather your oars or something to take my mind off this? Anything, really. I'm making tacos with flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas for dinner tonight. Surely someone is willing to denounce my heresy. I'm also thinking about grinding some of my smuggled home Indonesian coffee beans fine enough to use in my espresso maker. Is that pure hubris? Ack! Friday night sucks when your woman is almost literally on the opposite side of the world.

It's 10:00 am tomorrow morning over there. @#&%$!
  • Canoez
    Did I say that out loud?
    • Sep 2007

Re: Feeling depressed

Originally posted by James McMullen
    Well, the welcome distraction of the Wooden Boat Festival is over, and I'm glumly sitting here trying to come to terms with the unpleasant reality that It'll be December before I see Katie again, dammit. Plus the sailing weather this weekend looks pretty bleak. Also, I'm invited to go to a wedding on saturday--which I'll have to go to alone--and I'm also almost out of beer tonight already. Cripes! A wedding? With a happy couple?! I hate them so much. . .

Won't someone pick a fight with me over religion or politics or the proper way to leather your oars or something to take my mind off this? Anything, really. I'm making tacos with flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas for dinner tonight. Surely someone is willing to denounce my heresy. I'm also thinking about grinding some of my smuggled home Indonesian coffee beans fine enough to use in my espresso maker. Is that pure hubris? Ack! Friday night sucks when your woman is almost literally on the opposite side of the world.

Beware the bridesmaids. Just sayin'.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Comment

• Yeadon
      𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
      • May 2006

Go finish your MacGregor canoe, slacker.
      Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• Rich Jones
        What boat to build next?
        • Apr 2009

I've notified Homeland Security about your smuggled coffee beans. They'll be busting through your front door momentarily. That should take your mind off of things.

Seriously , though, it's got to be tough to be separated from the one you love by time and distance. Hang in there!
        I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
        Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• KMacDonald
          Banned
          • Dec 2006

I'd be glad to mix it up with you. Anything to help a friend in need.

I really was beginning to understand your love of Snooty Terns while sailing with one the last few days. They are fast and point well, better than I expected. If you don't mind bucking like a wild horse in 15kt winds it would be a good choice.

Comment

• James McMullen
            老板
            • Apr 2007

They really do sail better than I expected. I was fully prepared to give up far more in exchange for rowing ability and convenience. I still remember the pure astonishment from when I first sailed my old Ness Yawl Dragonfly. My initial drive to build one was based far more on aesthetics. I had no idea such an old-fashioned looking boat would perform so well, especially in the chowder. And Rowan is at least a third of a notch better yet.

Comment

• Yeadon
              𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
              • May 2006

You should experience Haverchuck in the chowder. A similar, eye-opening experience last week. Starship Hvalsoe just plows on through. Points well, too. Rows really well.
              Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• James McMullen
                老板
                • Apr 2007

I would agree. Haverchuck is better than 99% of the other boats out there.

Comment

• Breakaway
                  • Mar 2007

So, James, does that make you a 1-percenter?

Go build something for her.

Kevin
                  There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• jsjpd1
                    mmmm....boat good.
                    • Oct 2009

Go take your plywood approximation building self over to the almost wooden forum and whine there, James!

Epoxy is crap!

-Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
                    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
                    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Comment

• James McMullen
                      老板
                      • Apr 2007

You should see what I've been posting on the Ferrocement Boat Forum.

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

OK... let's discuss the trim on your mizzen... <G>
                        David G
                        Harbor Woodworks
                        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• jsjpd1
                          mmmm....boat good.
                          • Oct 2009

Building a chicken wire\thin set sixty foot schooner in your backyard and mixing in saw dust to make the thinset go farther?
                          -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
                          1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
                          19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Comment

• seanz
                            Resilient?
                            • Nov 2006

Have you considered getting a hobby?
                            We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• paulf
                              • Jan 2012

So, James I need help putting an outboard motor on my Matinicus.

How did you do it on ROWEN?? I saw motor a motor mount at the PTWBF
                              PaulF

Comment

Working...