PDA

View Full Version : Score - lumber find!

imported_Steven Bauer
06-19-2003, 12:45 AM
So the other day when I helped Chris move his mast he asks if I saw the article in the newspaper about the timber salvage guy on Thompson Point. I missed the article but I had heard something about it before and since I need some fir for the keelson and keel for Gavin's Elf I went down the other day to check it out. He said he could help me but I didn't have the exact dimensions of what I needed. So after work today Gavin and I went down to see what he had. He's got huge piles of old growth longleaf pine and douglas fir beams from old industrial buildings that are being torn down. Lots of 20' long 12" x 12" beams as well as smaller stuff. His main business is making flooring out of all this beautiful wood.
So, anyway we ended up with a 20' long fir 2 x 12 for $10! I'll have enough to make all the frames, too.

Steven

imported_Steven Bauer
So the other day when I helped Chris move his mast he asks if I saw the article in the newspaper about the timber salvage guy on Thompson Point. I missed the article but I had heard something about it before and since I need some fir for the keelson and keel for Gavin's Elf I went down the other day to check it out. He said he could help me but I didn't have the exact dimensions of what I needed. So after work today Gavin and I went down to see what he had. He's got huge piles of old growth longleaf pine and douglas fir beams from old industrial buildings that are being torn down. Lots of 20' long 12" x 12" beams as well as smaller stuff. His main business is making flooring out of all this beautiful wood.
So, anyway we ended up with a 20' long fir 2 x 12 for $10! I'll have enough to make all the frames, too.

Steven

imported_Steven Bauer

Steven

Ken Hutchins
06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
OK where is Thompson Pt?, been trying the search thing, canit find. :mad:

Ken Hutchins

Ken Hutchins

imported_Steven Bauer
06-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Ken, Thompson's Point is an industrial neighborhood in Portland, right accross the Fore river from the Airport. Right by the new train station and the bus station. The owner is John, the company is Barnstormers!, and the phone number is 771-5512. I take some pictures after I've started milling it.

Steven

imported_Steven Bauer
Ken, Thompson's Point is an industrial neighborhood in Portland, right accross the Fore river from the Airport. Right by the new train station and the bus station. The owner is John, the company is Barnstormers!, and the phone number is 771-5512. I take some pictures after I've started milling it.

Steven

imported_Steven Bauer

Steven

Carlsboats
06-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Steve, sounds like a source for mast timber.
Thanks for putting us on to this. P.S. will we see you and other Portlanders at the July show in Rockport? If so, let's talk about snagging some of that long stuff. CARL

Carlsboats
Thanks for putting us on to this. P.S. will we see you and other Portlanders at the July show in Rockport? If so, let's talk about snagging some of that long stuff. CARL

Carlsboats

Ken Hall
06-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Nice work, Steven. When the kids are older and I can devote more time to building and/or repairing small boats, I'll be scouting for recycled wood, durn tootin.'

Ken Hall
Nice work, Steven. When the kids are older and I can devote more time to building and/or repairing small boats, I'll be scouting for recycled wood, durn tootin.'

Ken Hall

Alan D. Hyde
06-20-2003, 11:49 AM
It's stunning, and saddening, to see how much good lumber (and how many good potential sawlogs) go to waste in this country every day.

Enough in a month, probably, to reconstruct the entire Spanish Armada.

Alan

Alan D. Hyde
It's stunning, and saddening, to see how much good lumber (and how many good potential sawlogs) go to waste in this country every day.

Alan

Alan D. Hyde

Alan