Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Jung
    • Jan 2004

PBS/ Civil War/Ken Burns

Any here been following this series? (I think it's been on several times before). Takeaway, for me - just how 'puny' and rustic our country was, a bit more than 150 years ago, relative to where we are today - and we're still pretty 'juvenile', in a historical sense. The politics of the day, attitudes of the people, and in particular, that of the Southerners, was an epiphany - and sheds a bit of light on the divide we are seeing today.

I hadn't realized part of the impetus for Emancipation was to ensure England and France would not recognize the Confederacy. Brilliant move, on Lincolns part.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....
  • oznabrag
    Historical Illiterate
    • Nov 2008

Re: PBS/ Civil War/Ken Burns

Originally posted by George Jung
    Any here been following this series? (I think it's been on several times before). Takeaway, for me - just how 'puny' and rustic our country was, a bit more than 150 years ago, relative to where we are today - and we're still pretty 'juvenile', in a historical sense. The politics of the day, attitudes of the people, and in particular, that of the Southerners, was an epiphany - and sheds a bit of light on the divide we are seeing today.

I hadn't realized part of the impetus for Emancipation was to ensure England and France would not recognize the Confederacy. Brilliant move, on Lincolns part.
    According to Shelby Foote, Lincoln was one of two geniuses (genii?) that war produced. He was ALWAYS doing something exceptionally bright.
    Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
      • Aug 2002

It is a brilliantly done series. I have seen it several times, and I am recording it again.
      Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
        • Jun 2001

It's an excellent series. The Academy Award winning movie Lincoln from a couple of years ago also provided an excellent insight into the politics of the day.

Originally posted by oznabrag
        According to Shelby Foote, Lincoln was one of two geniuses (genii?) that war produced. He was ALWAYS doing something exceptionally bright.
        The right man at the right time.

Also see: FDR

Comment

• Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
          treetop flyer
          • Sep 2003

Gettysburg was on last night.
          What a nightmare Pickett's Charge must have been.
          Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Comment

• Breakaway
            • Mar 2007

Its a great series. I watched last night, also.

Originally Posted by oznabrag

Shelby Foote makes regular appearances in the series. Via interviews, he adds backstory, color and depth. FWIW, and IMO, It doesn't hurt that he speaks with with a subtle, baritone drawl, that's smoother than molasses.

Kevin
            There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• BrianY
              Left Wing Extremist
              • Apr 2004

Yeah it's a great series! I can't wait to see who wins!

Just kidding... It IS a great series. I was impressed by many things but two that stand out was how articulate these folks were (yes, I realize that not all of them were, but even the ones who are quoted who speak relatively crudely had a great way of putting things. Most people today can barely express themselves well enough to order food from a drive through) and how they were able to get themselves to line up and charge over and over again into near-certain death. You'd think after surviving something like that once, a fellow would never be foolish enough to do it again.

ETA - I LOVE Shelby Foote's way of speaking. I could listen to him all day.
              I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• CWSmith
                New Hampshire
                • Nov 2008

I've watched it several times. I'm watching it this week. And I have the DVDs on the shelf. It's masterful work.

Originally posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
                Gettysburg was on last night.
                What a nightmare Pickett's Charge must have been.
                I have walked that ground on several occasions. Looking across that field and slightly up, I cannot imagine how anyone did it. I don't think modern men could and I don't think anyone should ever.

Whenever the subject of the Civil War comes up here, there is a debate between was it over state's rights and was it over slavery. Watching the show, I was reminded of Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens' Cornerstone Speech where he says, "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition." I suspect that pretty much lays the matter to rest.
                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                  Ancient Mariner
                  • Dec 2006

I've watched the series several times. Could and would watch it again.

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                    Liberaltarian
                    • Nov 2004

I don't think I've seen the entire thing, but I have seen numerous bits and pieces of it, over the years.... I was thinking of downloading the entire thing, for a 'start to finish' session.
                    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                      Ancient Mariner
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                      I don't think I've seen the entire thing, but I have seen numerous bits and pieces of it, over the years.... I was thinking of downloading the entire thing, for a 'start to finish' session.
                      I would not be opposed to buying the entire series and probably should for future watching. If you have seen "bits and pieces" of it and liked them, seeing all of them in order is even better.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by John of Phoenix
                        The right man at the right time.
                        this is the best lincoln biopic ever

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• TomF
                          Recalcitrant Heretic
                          • Jun 2003

I watched the Civil War series again on Netflix last Winter. Lovely stuff.
                          If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• CWSmith
                            New Hampshire
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                            this is the best lincoln biopic ever
                            I saw that one, too. I had to laugh. I do love a good vampire flick.
                            "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• George Jung
                              • Jan 2004

Don't forget Lincoln, the Wrestler!
                              There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

Working...