PDA

View Full Version : Woolsey "Neptune" bottom paint....

Art Read
01-23-2001, 03:51 PM
Brother in law bought me a tin of "Neptune" for the boat as a Christmas gift. Hadn't really looked into what I should use yet and suspect this stuff may be a bit "overkill"for my needs, so to speak, but hey, the price was certainly right! Reading a back issue article WB put out comparing bottom paints the other night, they describe this stuff by name as a hard "epoxy" type paint. I've always thought of epoxy paints as two part and rather "finicky" as to application technique. Reading the label on the can however, it sounds pretty straight forward. Lots of copper though! Any reason this would be a bad choice for a carvel planked hull? Complications when it comes time to remove/reapply or cover with a softer, resin/rosen type anti-foul? It doesn't "say" epoxy anywhere on the can. Perhaps I missread the article? It kinda looks like the same stuff as say, BottomKote when I compare the labels.

Art Read
Brother in law bought me a tin of "Neptune" for the boat as a Christmas gift. Hadn't really looked into what I should use yet and suspect this stuff may be a bit "overkill"for my needs, so to speak, but hey, the price was certainly right! Reading a back issue article WB put out comparing bottom paints the other night, they describe this stuff by name as a hard "epoxy" type paint. I've always thought of epoxy paints as two part and rather "finicky" as to application technique. Reading the label on the can however, it sounds pretty straight forward. Lots of copper though! Any reason this would be a bad choice for a carvel planked hull? Complications when it comes time to remove/reapply or cover with a softer, resin/rosen type anti-foul? It doesn't "say" epoxy anywhere on the can. Perhaps I missread the article? It kinda looks like the same stuff as say, BottomKote when I compare the labels.

Art Read

Todd Bradshaw
01-24-2001, 01:19 PM
Art,
I looked at the catalog blurbs that I had regarding Neptune and couldn't figure out whether it was epoxy-based (whatever that really means) or not. You might have to call Woolsey/Z-Spar and ask. Their tech people were pretty nice, last time I talked to them.

I'm sure there are plenty of people using epoxy antifouling paint out there, but one boat covered with it was enough for me. As it works, the copper leeches out and leaves a rather thick, somewhat porous layer of dead, hard paint. After several seasons and multiple layers, I had to grind the stuff off our trimaran with a big disk machine after getting as much as possible off with paint stripper. I will never do it again!

I switched to VC-17 and quickly got slimed. The next season, I removed it and decided to go with an ablative that would remove itself over time. The one that I like best is Woolsey "Hydrocoat". It's water based (water clean-up), doesn't smell bad, contains Teflon and is about 40% copper. It rolls on like latex on a bedroom wall and is much less hassle to deal with than others that I've used.

Todd Bradshaw
Art,
I looked at the catalog blurbs that I had regarding Neptune and couldn't figure out whether it was epoxy-based (whatever that really means) or not. You might have to call Woolsey/Z-Spar and ask. Their tech people were pretty nice, last time I talked to them.

I'm sure there are plenty of people using epoxy antifouling paint out there, but one boat covered with it was enough for me. As it works, the copper leeches out and leaves a rather thick, somewhat porous layer of dead, hard paint. After several seasons and multiple layers, I had to grind the stuff off our trimaran with a big disk machine after getting as much as possible off with paint stripper. I will never do it again!

I switched to VC-17 and quickly got slimed. The next season, I removed it and decided to go with an ablative that would remove itself over time. The one that I like best is Woolsey "Hydrocoat". It's water based (water clean-up), doesn't smell bad, contains Teflon and is about 40% copper. It rolls on like latex on a bedroom wall and is much less hassle to deal with than others that I've used.

Todd Bradshaw
Art,