PDA

View Full Version : Planned Parenthood question

CWSmith
09-05-2015, 12:37 PM
I've always had a job that allowed me to have good medical insurance. I'm lucky that way.

So, I've not had to enroll in Obamacare, although I think it's the best idea that we could get through the congress and I support it 100%.

It was said on another thread, in what I take to be less than a genuine attempt to address the issue, that Obamacare made Planned Parenthood irrelevant as everyone can now go to their favorite doctor.

Is this true? How many of the poor remain uncovered by Obamacare? Can the rest of the medical profession take the load now carried by Planned Parenthood? It seems unlikely to me.

Peerie Maa
09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Does US medical insurance cover all of the cost, or is there an "excess" that the patient has to pay?

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Mine seems to have a cap! Some procedures are fully paid for. Appointments bloodwork etc.the patient pays 20% of the bill. That's MY experience.

CWSmith
09-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Does US medical insurance cover all of the cost, or is there an "excess" that the patient has to pay?

It varies. My insurance tends to cover almost 100% of my expenses. Others may not be covered as well.

Peerie Maa
09-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Mine seems to have a cap! Some procedures are fully paid for. Appointments bloodwork etc.the patient pays 20% of the bill. That's MY experience.

It varies. My insurance tends to cover almost 100% of my expenses. Others may not be covered as well.

In which case a free provider for basic low cost AKA Planned Parenthood health care might still be needed by the low/unpaid.

Tom Wilkinson
09-05-2015, 01:49 PM

My insurance, through a major corporation, has a 5000.00 out of pocket deductible. It covers some things free of charge, annual physicals and some other limited things, but for the most part, unless it is catastrophic, like my sons appendectomy a couple years ago. Planned parenthood could very well be a better option for people on a plan like mine.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 01:54 PM
I went through my deductible by Feb. 1st!

Tom Wilkinson
09-05-2015, 02:34 PM
I rarely do, with the exception of years with broken arms or emergency surgery. This year I've spent under 400.00, but I watch my expenses, prescriptions etc..., pretty closely.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Tom, I joined Jan. 1! My first blood work (two tests and a two min. conference with the doc. $350.00)was two grand before Feb. 1st. My deductible was $1600.00. I don't want to think I've paid and the insurance has going into Sept.

Tom Wilkinson
09-05-2015, 02:39 PM
How does that change the discussion?

My point is there can very well be people covered by major insurance plans that could still find planned parenthood advantageous to utilize.

The fact you have high medical costs really doesn't have much to do with the subject at hand.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 02:45 PM
I looked up abortions, both Hospital costs and planned parenthood costs.

Regarding Hospitals, the cost is about $350.00. PP for the same procedure averages $1500.00 . I was surprised but both costs were those for the first trimester. Take it from there!

Tom Wilkinson
09-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Seeing as planned parenthood offers far more services than abortions, that's not much of a comparison. In fact 97% of there services are something other than that.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I used stats on what they preform that have stats Tom. No information on anything else PP regarding costs. They do much more, I agree but, I don't have any figures on costs. If you do, post them.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Planned Parenthood is currently very necessary for poor people!
That is the reason the Troglodytes are fighting it; they have no soul, no compassion, no human kindness.
When we have a single payer plan, there will be no need for PP.I agree with you 110%.

CWSmith
09-05-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm starting to see it. Obamacare is more for the working poor and middle class and small companies. The real poor need Medicaid and I'm guessing there are strings tied to that? So instead of solving the problem outright we build a patchwork solution with "charity groups" for lack of a better term filling the voids.

Hugh Conway
09-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Perhaps you should research how health insurance works for most Americans (they have copays and out of pocket expenses, often high, and employers can deny various reproductive coverages) and what exactly Planned Parenthood does?

Peerie Maa
09-05-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm starting to see it. Obamacare is more for the working poor and middle class and small companies. The real poor need Medicaid and I'm guessing there are strings tied to that? So instead of solving the problem outright we build a patchwork solution with "charity groups" for lack of a better term filling the voids.

That is the risk that you run when you do not have one single joined up system. When you have boundaries between different bits of the system those boundaries can become racks for people to fall through.

John Smith
09-05-2015, 04:47 PM
I've always had a job that allowed me to have good medical insurance. I'm lucky that way.

So, I've not had to enroll in Obamacare, although I think it's the best idea that we could get through the congress and I support it 100%.

It was said on another thread, in what I take to be less than a genuine attempt to address the issue, that Obamacare made Planned Parenthood irrelevant as everyone can now go to their favorite doctor.

Is this true? How many of the poor remain uncovered by Obamacare? Can the rest of the medical profession take the load now carried by Planned Parenthood? It seems unlikely to me.

My immediate response would address those states that did not expand Medicaid. The ACA does give millions of people health insurance, but it is still short of being universal.

John Smith
09-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Planned Parenthood is currently very necessary for poor people!
That is the reason the Troglodytes are fighting it; they have no soul, no compassion, no human kindness.
When we have a single payer plan, there will be no need for PP.

Here's what one has to understand: They want the woman to have the child as punishment for behavior they don't approve of.

CWSmith
09-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Here's what one has to understand: They want the woman to have the child as punishment for behavior they don't approve of.

It is more correct that they view the child as purity coming from an impure person.

Todd D
09-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Many affordable care act insurance policies provide minimal coverage. For example, I have a bronze policy that has a $5,000 deductible and then covers 50% after that up to the $6,300 out of pocket maximum at which point it pays 100%. The policy does cover primary care visits after a $40 copay from the first dollar and prescriptions with a $30 copay also from the first dollar. It does not pay anything for tests until the deductible is met. Those copays do NOT count toward the deductible. My policy is effectively catastrophic care coverage. That policy costs me $720 per month. A bronze policy is about all a poor person could afford. Here in Maine our governor blocked the Medicare expansion, so the very poor have zero coverage since adults other than pregnant women are not eligible for medicaid here.

So here in Maine, Planned Parenthood provides needed low cost care.

BrianW
09-05-2015, 09:54 PM
My insurance, through a major corporation, has a 5000.00 out of pocket deductible. It covers some things free of charge, annual physicals and some other limited things, but for the most part, unless it is catastrophic, like my sons appendectomy a couple years ago. Planned parenthood could very well be a better option for people on a plan like mine.

It doesn't bode well for the ACA, when people as successful as you would resort to PP instead of ACA required insurance.

Tom Wilkinson
09-06-2015, 06:12 AM
It doesn't bode well for the ACA, when people as successful as you would resort to PP instead of ACA required insurance.

Um, I have required insurance. That doesn't mean I won't seek out the most cost effective treatment. That's kind of the point of being responsible about spending my healthcare dollars. It's not to hard to imagine a woman could use PP for health services even if they have an insurance plan. If they provide quality service what's the issue?

Peerie Maa
09-06-2015, 06:19 AM
Um, I have required insurance. That doesn't mean I won't seek out the most cost effective treatment. That's kind of the point of being responsible about spending my healthcare dollars. It's not to hard to imagine a woman could use PP for health services even if they have an insurance plan. If they provide quality service what's the issue?

I think that is the point of this thread. PP provides a service that Insurance companies don't or won't provide, but is still a vital service. One joined up system for all would be much simpler. If you can take advantage of the benefits of scale, it may become cheaper as well.

George Jung
09-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Doubt very much a hospital would provide any service for anything remotely approaching what PP would charge. That $350 quoted above is likely the charge for someone holding the door open for you to enter the Cathedral.

The Republican states (including mine) have worked really hard to prevent expansion of Medicaid; lots of folks still falling through the cracks.

S.V. Airlie
09-06-2015, 08:41 AM
George, I WAS surprised at the $350.00 price in the 1st trimester. It was found on google. At that posting, I stated that I WAS SURPRISED. Found if hard to absorb actually as my feeling on hospitals was/is that they are generally more expensive than say PP would be.

Too Little Time
09-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Many affordable care act insurance policies provide minimal coverage. For example, I have a bronze policy that has a $5,000 deductible and then covers 50% after that up to the $6,300 out of pocket maximum at which point it pays 100%. The policy does cover primary care visits after a $40 copay from the first dollar and prescriptions with a $30 copay also from the first dollar. It does not pay anything for tests until the deductible is met. Those copays do NOT count toward the deductible. My policy is effectively catastrophic care coverage. That policy costs me $720 per month. A bronze policy is about all a poor person could afford.

You forgot one important aspect of your costs. Out of network charges. Those are unlimited.

How extensive is your network?

Tom Wilkinson
09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
George, I WAS surprised at the $350.00 price in the 1st trimester. It was found on google. At that posting, I stated that I WAS SURPRISED. Found if hard to absorb actually as my feeling on hospitals was/is that they are generally more expensive than say PP would be.
There is no way that is the entire bill for the hospital. I doubt seriously that is an apples to apples comparison.

It makes little sense to even try to compare price on what amounts to one of the smallest portions of their business.

S.V. Airlie
09-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Tom, it wasn't a comparison. I googled Hospital costs, one site and PP costs on the PP site. The numbers were not a comparison on the same site. I do agree with you. As I stated, I thought the hospital price tag was wrong!

CWSmith
09-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I think I've become convinced that PP remains an important necessity.

I ask, in part, because one hopes for a regular system that does nor depend on charity or periodic renewal of government funding. The fact that the need remains points to the failure of our society.

I also now realize that the comment that got my thinking started was not sincere or informed or both. Obamacare has not replaced PP and neither has Medicaid.

George Jung
09-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Tom, it wasn't a comparison. I googled Hospital costs, one site and PP costs on the PP site. The numbers were not a comparison on the same site. I do agree with you. As I stated, I thought the hospital price tag was wrong!

I can almost guarantee you that was not 'our final price'. Look at a hospital bill sometime. They don't nickel and dime you - then $1000 dollar bill you to death. I have no idea what that 'price' you saw actually covered - but no way anyone is going to get in/out for that price, regardless what they're in for - and surgery costs a helluva lot more than clinical stuff.

CWSmith
09-06-2015, 11:35 AM
To be fair, there are hospital prices and then there's what insurance companies pay. I keep hearing it's because of the uninsured, but that doesn't ring entirely true to me. If you have insurance, the total bill is much lower than what hospitals quote as the price of service.

George Jung
09-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Supposedly, with the ACA, hospitals are required to charge those paying 'cash', no more than what BCBS would pay for that same service. Keeping folks honest may be another deal.

BrianW
09-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Um, I have required insurance.

Not a reflection on you. I said it doesn't bode well for the ACA.

Tom Wilkinson
09-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Why not? The aca is designed to provide insurance coverage. I was giving an example of why people that have quality coverage may still use PP to keep their personal insurance costs low. If someone who has insurance under a corporate plan, (and I know someone who actually uses PP frequently and is covered under VA insurance), why wouldn't it make sense for some with aca insurance to use it?