PDA

View Full Version : Kerosine to LPG

Chuck St John
02-02-2001, 10:31 AM
I have an old Optimus kerosine stove in my H-28. It works fine, but the smell of kerosine makes my wife seasick. I have contacted Optimus about conversion to LPG and they donít have any info. Has anyone converted an old kerosine stove to LPG? Does someone sell LPG burners separately???

Chuck

Chuck St John
I have an old Optimus kerosine stove in my H-28. It works fine, but the smell of kerosine makes my wife seasick. I have contacted Optimus about conversion to LPG and they donít have any info. Has anyone converted an old kerosine stove to LPG? Does someone sell LPG burners separately???

Chuck

Chuck St John

Chuck

paladin
02-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Doesn't seem practical....I done went and bought a new stove......

paladin

paladin

John058
02-02-2001, 04:33 PM
Chuck

I have a kerosene heater for power outages and the have additives to mask the smell which work quite well. I would imagine most well equipped hardware stores would carry it. LP is not oder free either.

John

John058
Chuck

I have a kerosene heater for power outages and the have additives to mask the smell which work quite well. I would imagine most well equipped hardware stores would carry it. LP is not oder free either.

John

John058
Chuck

John

Dave Hadfield
02-03-2001, 11:59 PM
Chuck,

I've noticed that if kerosene is let sit exposed to the air (such as is in the tank)for a long time, it develops a rancid smell. Have you tried draining and using fresh, low-sulphur, triple-filtered kerosene? Also, the burners must be tuned to work with a hot blue flame. If the flame is yellow, shut it off and service the burner. A yellow-burning flame stinks. A chap on this forum also recommends using mineral sprits as fuel, a thing I haven't tried yet.

My apologies if I'm reciting the obvious.

When I bought Drake 2 years ago, I tried to replace the kero with propane burners. I had no success with information or parts, so I rebuilt the burners and kept the stove, and I've been quite happy with the result. Too bad parts are becoming scarce.

Good Luck,

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Hadfield (edited 02-04-2001).]

Dave Hadfield
Chuck,

I've noticed that if kerosene is let sit exposed to the air (such as is in the tank)for a long time, it develops a rancid smell. Have you tried draining and using fresh, low-sulphur, triple-filtered kerosene? Also, the burners must be tuned to work with a hot blue flame. If the flame is yellow, shut it off and service the burner. A yellow-burning flame stinks. A chap on this forum also recommends using mineral sprits as fuel, a thing I haven't tried yet.

When I bought Drake 2 years ago, I tried to replace the kero with propane burners. I had no success with information or parts, so I rebuilt the burners and kept the stove, and I've been quite happy with the result. Too bad parts are becoming scarce.

Good Luck,

Dave

Dave Hadfield
Chuck,

Good Luck,

Dave