PDA

View Full Version : Extra long turnbuckle needed-

rbgarr
09-05-2000, 04:36 PM
I want to rake my mast some but don't want to add a bunch of tangs, toggles or buy a new headstay. Does anyone know of a source for bronze, or chromed bronze, open body Merriman-style turnbuckles with 3/8" clevis pins that are 18-24" long when extended? I've already tried Wickford Marine Consignment and Newport Nautical. Thx in advance.

[This message has been edited by rbgarr (edited 09-05-2000).]

rbgarr
I want to rake my mast some but don't want to add a bunch of tangs, toggles or buy a new headstay. Does anyone know of a source for bronze, or chromed bronze, open body Merriman-style turnbuckles with 3/8" clevis pins that are 18-24" long when extended? I've already tried Wickford Marine Consignment and Newport Nautical. Thx in advance.

rbgarr

TomRobb
09-06-2000, 10:10 AM
No. But I'd guess that a new, longer, forestay would be both cheaper and more workmanlike. Most especially better than the Rube Goldgerg collection of tangs and toggles you mentioned that you didn't want.

TomRobb
No. But I'd guess that a new, longer, forestay would be both cheaper and more workmanlike. Most especially better than the Rube Goldgerg collection of tangs and toggles you mentioned that you didn't want.

TomRobb

rbgarr
09-06-2000, 10:33 AM
Ulimately, that might be the way to go, but I'd prefer to have the option of (easily) testing out different rake angles that I could achieve with turnbuckles (short or long). I'm looking for a used one, not new (even if they were made that long anymore, which I don't think they are), and imagine that 26+' of new forestay with swaged fittings and labor would cost more than the $25-40 I'm hoping to find one of these old tb's for.

rbgarr
Ulimately, that might be the way to go, but I'd prefer to have the option of (easily) testing out different rake angles that I could achieve with turnbuckles (short or long). I'm looking for a used one, not new (even if they were made that long anymore, which I don't think they are), and imagine that 26+' of new forestay with swaged fittings and labor would cost more than the $25-40 I'm hoping to find one of these old tb's for.

rbgarr

Ed Harrow
09-06-2000, 11:30 AM
I'm not certain of your location, perhaps Marine Exchange in Peabody, MA? There is another used equip operation up in the NW, Popeye's, or some such, another possibility?

Ed Harrow
I'm not certain of your location, perhaps Marine Exchange in Peabody, MA? There is another used equip operation up in the NW, Popeye's, or some such, another possibility?

Ed Harrow

TomRobb
09-07-2000, 02:30 PM
If you just want to experiment, try multiple lashings between the forestay fitting and the present t.b. or the collection of tangs and bolts you mentioned. They're not permanent so you needn't be ashamed of the look.

TomRobb
If you just want to experiment, try multiple lashings between the forestay fitting and the present t.b. or the collection of tangs and bolts you mentioned. They're not permanent so you needn't be ashamed of the look.

TomRobb