PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Seats

baldandlean
11-21-2000, 09:16 PM
Is hardware available to install a sliding seat in a recently completed Cosine Wherry?
(Rip, Strip and Row plans ).

The fixed seats are in the boat. Is there hardware available to fit on top of the seats? If so will this arrangement raise the center of gravity too much?

baldandlean
Is hardware available to install a sliding seat in a recently completed Cosine Wherry?

The fixed seats are in the boat. Is there hardware available to fit on top of the seats? If so will this arrangement raise the center of gravity too much?

baldandlean

Tom Dugan
11-22-2000, 11:01 AM
Cutting and pasting from www.glenl.com... (http://www.glenl.com...)

61-409 SLIDING SEAT PLANS................. 23.00
05-206 SLIDING SEAT HARDWARE PACKAGE...... 91.58

I'll be interested in reading responses to your second question too, since I'm contemplating maybe the Hereshoff Rowboat for The Next Boat Project.

-T

Tom Dugan

I'll be interested in reading responses to your second question too, since I'm contemplating maybe the Hereshoff Rowboat for The Next Boat Project.

-T

Tom Dugan

-T

DougWilde
11-23-2000, 11:29 PM
Your center of gravity will be raised because you have to clear the wheels on the sliding seat. It might be possible to fabricate some sort of arrangement that would fit atop the seats, but then you would need outriggers for the oars....

The only logical solution is.....BUILD ANOTHER BOAT! Hey, you just finished one and know how easy they are to build.
Actually, something along the lines of Skal (that would be familiar to old subscribers to SBJ). Someone else offers plans for an updated version, but their name and the name of the boat escapes me.

Seriously, consider building another boat.

Doug Wilde

DougWilde
Your center of gravity will be raised because you have to clear the wheels on the sliding seat. It might be possible to fabricate some sort of arrangement that would fit atop the seats, but then you would need outriggers for the oars....

The only logical solution is.....BUILD ANOTHER BOAT! Hey, you just finished one and know how easy they are to build.
Actually, something along the lines of Skal (that would be familiar to old subscribers to SBJ). Someone else offers plans for an updated version, but their name and the name of the boat escapes me.

Doug Wilde

DougWilde

Doug Wilde

Joel Herzel
11-24-2000, 08:39 PM
I have an Annapolis Wherry from chesapeake light craft. It is set up for both fixed seat and sliding seat rowing. I bought two Piantedosi sliding seat units and they sit on top of the fixed seats. They raise your butt up about 4". They work beautifully and go in and out of the boat very easily. We row on open water here, with seas up to three feet or so. We are contemplating the open water race across Monterey Bay (22 miles) next year. The units themselves are a seat sliding on a single square aluminum extrusion. Very stout and nicely made. $450 each. Funny, Piantedosi has no web site for this unit, but I would contact Tom McGlinn at Chesapeake Rowing. He's got a website and is a very helpful guy. Good luck.

Joel Herzel
I have an Annapolis Wherry from chesapeake light craft. It is set up for both fixed seat and sliding seat rowing. I bought two Piantedosi sliding seat units and they sit on top of the fixed seats. They raise your butt up about 4". They work beautifully and go in and out of the boat very easily. We row on open water here, with seas up to three feet or so. We are contemplating the open water race across Monterey Bay (22 miles) next year. The units themselves are a seat sliding on a single square aluminum extrusion. Very stout and nicely made. $450 each. Funny, Piantedosi has no web site for this unit, but I would contact Tom McGlinn at Chesapeake Rowing. He's got a website and is a very helpful guy. Good luck.

Joel Herzel

Joel Herzel
11-24-2000, 08:44 PM
An addendum to my first reply - The piantedosi units have outrigger arms built into the unit. They are stayed aluminum tubing.

Joel Herzel
An addendum to my first reply - The piantedosi units have outrigger arms built into the unit. They are stayed aluminum tubing.

Joel Herzel