PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Selling Price for Aulket Dinghy

RedBayBob
08-30-2015, 11:01 AM
I just finished building the 7'2" Auklet (rowing version) designed by Ian Oughtred and an acquaintance wants to purchase it but I have no idea what to charge. Any suggestions? I'm located in Ohio. This the 15th boat I've built and I went to boat building school so I know a thing or two about how to construct a boat properly. It was built according to specs and it has a respectable finish plus a set of hand crafted ash oars. The hull is okkume and the rest is ash, sassafras and white oak. In the past I simply sold boats for what I had in them plus a couple of hundred$ just to recoup my investment but I'd like to get more for this one. I'd like some feedback as to the FMV. Thanks.

upchurchmr
08-30-2015, 02:24 PM
How many hours do you have in it?
Materials + hours x mcdonalds wages ($9) = selling price.
That will probably be too much for your friend.

skaraborgcraft
08-30-2015, 03:11 PM
How do you value your time? I have done a few small projects where costs have been to cover materials and generally less than what is to be expected, but mainly cos i enjoy what i do. Give me a large epoxy hull to sand/fair/fill paint and the price goes up rapidly.

carriacou
08-31-2015, 01:19 PM
I am an amateur/small-time-profesional like you. I live in Providence. I have just finished building a string of three Auks - builds 6, 7 and 9 for me. I am self taught. These are fancy builds of the best materials - okumi ply planks, mahogany and oak elsewhere, teak floorboards, Shaw and Tenney oars, spruce spars, bronze fastenings and hardware, lots of varnish.

The most recent one sold for $7,000. Materials cost $3,120. Build time about 290 hours.
The one before sold for $6,000 without a rig.
The first one I made down in the Grenadines where the economics are not comparable.

Hope this helps.

wizbang 13
09-01-2015, 10:45 PM
carriacou, are you the fellow building dingys in Fitzroy's chicken coop ?

carriacou
09-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Yes, that's me. Working on a Beach Pea down there now. Isn't that shop paradise!!