PDA

View Full Version : Halman 20, and adding glass coat to BWL hull

Spence
08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
The hull of my Halman has seen it's years. Don't get me wrong, it's still sound and never had a repair to it. I could just do the typical undercoating and it would be perfectly happy with it. But the aft quarter below WL is starting to show it's many sandings of the gel coat and the typical spider lines. No serious fibers showing, but just a bit rough. There's no penetration through to the laminations not bubbles.(I don't think this boat as seen salt water.) I was thinking I could rough sand it and add a layer of glass cloth over the gel coat, but only to 19 inches above the bottom of the keel, working my way to the back, I would fair this line nicely, and ensure flow under the hull is not badly impaired.(This is not a speed boat but cruiser anyway.) I would add an additional coat of resin to get the desired smoothness.

As for upsetting designed performance or trim, someone said that using this boat in salt water takes away from the displacement, not by much, but by couple hundred pounds. So instead of adding to the ballast, I'd add the glass which with one layer would prolly add less than hundred pounds. Now the end job won't be pretty as the original gel coat was, but it will add to the protection.

As anyone done this? Thanks for the help.

Todd Bradshaw
08-27-2015, 08:30 PM
You don't need glass cloth, and its addition wouldn't really do anything for the boat. I had a Nordica for a while (a smaller cousin of the Halman 20). It had been owned by a very old couple and eventually allowed to fill with water on the trailer - until the aft bunk pads broke through the hull. It also had quite a few gel coat blisters. I repaired the breaks, gave the hull a pretty good sanding with the random orbit, filled the blisters and then barrier coated it. I rolled on six thin coats of WEST 105/205 epoxy mixed with their Barrier Coat Additive (aluminum flake powder) then let it cure for a few days, then sanded it smooth. The epoxy was all applied in a single day and was a pretty easy job, just requiring me to jockey the hull back and forth a bit for access under the bunks and the keel rollers. The sanding took an afternoon. Then it was painted with enamel up top (rolled and tipped) and Hydrocoat on the bottom. If you're just doing the lower part of the hull, it won't be a massive job and it will likely protect the hull better than a layer of glass would, though I'd probably go up to the top of the boot stripe for potential blister resistance as long as you're working on it.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Sails%20and%20Plans/nordica-4-copy.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/ToddBradshaw/assorted/nordica%204_zpsdo8oobk6.jpg

outofthenorm
08-27-2015, 08:41 PM
It isn't often that someone gets a definitive answer to a question in just one post, but Spence, you just did.;)

Spence
08-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks Todd. That's a beautiful boat, and double enders are hardly seen these days. It certainly has a mirror bottom on it that I envy. I will go that route and see if I can get the West products in my parts. Unless I'm wrong I think this boat is the 16 footer Nordica if I'm not mistaken. Beautiful lines and pics like this make me go to mush.

Thanks for the tips and encouraging pic.

Spence
08-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Your so right. I'm most greatful to have people willing to spend some time to answer. Thanks all.

Todd Bradshaw
08-28-2015, 09:00 PM
That was a very cool little boat. I bought it trashed on the trailer for $800 and started a massive repair/restoration job out in my driveway. It's the only one I've ever done where strangers were frequently stopping and wanting to buy it as I was working on it. We already had our trimaran on a mooring (which are expensive and hard to come by in this town) so I eventually sold it to a friend of mine. I probably should have kept it, but I made really good money on it that got invested in other toys. One of the local dealers later had a Halman for sale and I did go look at it. It was really tempting, but more than I really wanted to spend at the time.