PDA

View Full Version : Chris Craft Boat Kit found in my uncles garage

WelserRK
08-25-2015, 10:13 AM
My Uncle gave me a Chris Craft boat kit that has been in his garage for 50+ years.

The instructions are missing and it looks like about a 12' row boat frame.
Does anyone know anything about these kits and if there are instructions still around?

chuckt
08-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Cool cool cool. Please post pics.

PiddleII
08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
That is pretty cool, and I agree with chuckt..pics?

I did a few searches for any sites that might have the instructions on it, though unable to find any with a row boat frame. I hope you can find one.

nedL
08-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes, x3. Neat find.

AndreasJordahlRhude
08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
neato

Capt. Jim Shotwell brought "back" the CC Kit Boats a few years ago. He retired and sold the business to some other firm, which promptly shut it down for good. I assume they had plans. I have seen a video of a CC kit boat being assembled by a father and son - I would guess in the 1950s. It might be on youtube.

The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club has lots of activity on its discussion forum and some on kit boats.

Is it worth more still in the box unassembled or as an actual useable boat???? Good question!

Andreas

WelserRK
08-26-2015, 05:03 PM
thanks all, I am trying to add pictures but I keep exceeding the image size, any ideas?

Andreas, I would agree the kit is probably more interesting than the boat. The boat looks like it would be pretty narrow and I am not a good swimmer but I like wood working and this may be a interesting project.

Steamboat
08-26-2015, 05:21 PM
POSTING PICTURES
Control yourself. Avoid posting BIG pictures. Keep them 500 pixels wide OR LESS. That way the dial-up folks aren't bogged-down, and the width doesn't make the page hard to read in a standard sized window. If you don't have Photoshop, try the freebie from gimp.org. We do NOT host your images. You need to have a place like Flickr, Imagestation, Photobucket, or one of the free other hosting outfits... or your own site.
Per Thorne's 'How-to', here's how to post photos on this forum:

...FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.
...SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, etc. Images posted on Facebook must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".
...THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view. (In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the image URL by right-clicking the image. Alternately you can go to the Actions menu on the upper left, then select "View All Sizes".
...FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS: A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.
B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.
YouTube video on how to select the image URL in Firefox, navigate the "Add an Image" tabs and paste the image URL - "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkfB_eDmBRw&feature=player_embedded"