PDA

View Full Version : Sealer, UnderCoat, and Paint Suggestions

MegaFauna
08-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Close to getting the Elfyn ready for painting the outside before flipping it over(unfortunately cannot bright finish due to errors during building). I wanted to go ahead and order my paints and undercoat so that they will be here by the time I am ready for them. From reading on here, it seems that the best way to get ready for paint is to do a sealant layer, then a undercoat layer, and then the final paint. I am hoping for a traditional deep blue or green. I don't really want to use CPES for the sealant layer. What products would y'all suggest for each layer and where would be the best place to buy them. I promise I will do a pic dump soon but here is a picture of the progress so far. Also It is okume plywood.

http://i.imgur.com/naeXWyJ.jpg

Thanks for all of y'alls help so far. This forum has been a huge help to a newbie like me.

wizbang 13
08-15-2015, 07:44 PM
WEST system , straight .
Then interlux 404/414 (epoxy undercoater)
Then a 2 part brushable LP
Jamestown Distributors

You are going to need a lot of sanding to make up for your sloppy epoxy work.
An experienced person with the right tool could ready your boat for the WEST primer in a few hours.

bruce

MegaFauna
08-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Yeah, It is gonna need some sanding. The biggest problems were those white lines between the planks, everything else was able to be sanded down and bright finished. But the white areas are where I miscalculated, cut out too much for the gains, and then had to fill those spots with epoxy. Also, we have had huge rains this year and a seal failed while I was at work and dumped a bunch of water on the boat. Thanks the suggestion!

Gerarddm
08-15-2015, 08:55 PM
While I applied one neat epoxy to the laps to seal the plywood end grain, on my boat I opted for Valspar house paint. Two coats of Valspar sealer/primer, followed by three coats of Valspar Stormcoat finish paint.