PDA

View Full Version : Henry Kloss

ron ll
08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
I have an Advent model 400 as my shop radio, think I bought it in the early 70's.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/6951607/il_570xN.376607055_a317.jpg

And I have a Tivoli Audio PAL radio on the boat.
http://www.tivoliaudio.ca/media/catalog/product/p/a/palblk_001_1_1.png

However the PAL radio had a design flaw in that the rubberized black case got gummy and sticky. They've since corrected this and the new one includes
Bluetooth. Mine is probably ten years old yet Tivoli Audio agreed to take it back and give 50% off on the new one with BT.
http://onecall.com/media/product/614/tivoli-pal-bt-white-bluetooth-portable-am-fm-radio-c45.jpg

These were designed by Henry Kloss who was originally with KLH, Cambridge Audio, Advent and then Tivoli. Great design, very good sounding radios.
Anyone else have one of his designs?

Gerarddm
08-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Yes, I used to have a pair Advents that I supplanted as my main speakers with a pair of JBL Century 100s.

Ol' Henry knew his stuff.

Mad Scientist
08-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Henry Kloss - now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time!
No, I don't have any of his designs (darn it!)

Tom

Paul Pless
08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Where's Lew Barrett???

Back in the day my dream system a giant pair of Klipsh la Scalia driven by a twin Carvers. All this poor college student could afford though were Cerwin Vega's and a rack Pioneer System from Crutchfield - this bama redneck used to rock some Zeppelin. . .:D

Paul Pless
08-15-2015, 07:43 PM
and skynyrd and bocephus too. . .

Lew Barrett
08-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Where's Lew Barrett???

Back in the day my dream system a giant pair of Klipsh la Scalia driven by a twin Carvers. All this poor college student could afford though were Cerwin Vega's and a rack Pioneer System from Crutchfield - this bama redneck used to rock some Zeppelin. . .:D

Hi Paul! I had an Advent radio from the 70s for many years. I used it for music on hold at my office after the speaker died. I think in many ways it was his best design.

Comment: Carvers were a popular but poor choice to mate with Klipsch's designs by the way. It was entirely unnecessary to have that much power driving any Klipsch design since the horn loaded designs Paul Klipsch was known for at the time were intended to work best with the low power tube amps of the day, say a Mac 30. But of course, everybody ran out and bought Carvers to drive their K-horns (and LaScalas) because, more power is better, man! This does not exclude me since I had a Klipsch/Carver rig "back in the day." The downside is that Carver's early amps were pretty unstable, especially as they approached clipping, resulting in a lot of blown K-Horns and eardrums. DC is very mean to speakers.

The "La Scala" is named for Milan's opera house.

In addition to KLH, Kloss was a founding partner of AR (Acoustic Research), Advent and lately, Cambridge Audio. His most revered speaker design is the KLH 9 electrostatic speaker system although his best known speakers were of the "acoustic suspension" (sealed enclosure) type. In this design, the intent is to trade efficiency for low frequency extension.

Stairway sounds good through anything.

JBreeze
08-16-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm listening to a pair of KLH fives right now, so I looked up nines to see what they are about. One of the audio sites claims the Nines were strictly a Art Janszen design, and the only KLH product that Kloss wasn't involved in. Is that correct?

oznabrag
09-06-2015, 11:35 AM
and skynyrd and bocephus too. . .

For all the Northeasterners who can't confront their fear and loathing of all things Southern, here's one of the snappiest little Southern Rock numbers you will ever find. I will admit that I used to modify the lyrics a little.

"Now Watergate sho's hell bothers me.
Does Iran-Contra bother you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5BuYf8q4o

Chris Smith porter maine
09-06-2015, 12:22 PM
I have an old Tivoli model one with the extra speaker, sub whoofer and cd player it has been an awesome radio, compact yet very pleasant sound, the tuner is pretty good as well, it allows me to get a few extra stations in I cannot get on other radios.

Lew Barrett
09-06-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm listening to a pair of KLH fives right now, so I looked up nines to see what they are about. One of the audio sites claims the Nines were strictly a Art Janszen design, and the only KLH product that Kloss wasn't involved in. Is that correct? Janszen built the elements for virtually all the early electrostatic speakers including those sold under different branding perhaps with the exception of the English Quads. I'm not sure about those. I'd always thought Kloss was at least involved in the design of the package but certainly he didn't build the elements. How many elements were employed and how the low frequency was reproduced were major distinctions between the various designs. The elements were sourced from oems

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-06-2015, 01:27 PM
The Quad's were indeed singular, the first production electrostatic, A very good system too. I worked in Audio sales for 12 years. Klipsch, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood Trio, Wharfedale, Mission, Technics, Oracle, Mission, Thorens, Cerwin, PSB, Alpine, Luxman ,Audio Technica, NAD, Grado, Nagaoka, Shure, Electrovoice, Bryston, Koetsu, Aiwa, Akai, Nakamichi, Empire, Technics, Yamaha, SAE, Bose, Shure, Sennheiser, Energy, Infinity, Polk, JBL, Acoustic Research, Rectilinear, Dynaco, JVC, ..... (just doing a memory exercise) I forget some of the weirder stuff. We had a set of rosewood Klipschorns in our soundroom, and I did a whole host of mods on Cornwalls, including time aligning the horns, plasticine packing the bells to kill resonance, and rebuilding the cabinets. It was great time to sell audio equipment. Smoked a lot of weed, and listened to tunes.

One of the guys I worked with, and one of the best mechanic/fabricators I know work here, Steve founded the company and Jim builds the stuff, in my hometown. Very cool.

http://www.triartaudio.com/

Skegemog
09-07-2015, 09:02 PM
http://www.tivoliaudio.ca/media/catalog/product/p/a/palblk_001_1_1.png

However the PAL radio had a design flaw in that the rubberized black case got gummy and sticky. They've since corrected this and the new one includes
Bluetooth. Mine is probably ten years old yet Tivoli Audio agreed to take it back and give 50% off on the new one with BT.
http://onecall.com/media/product/614/tivoli-pal-bt-white-bluetooth-portable-am-fm-radio-c45.jpg

These were designed by Henry Kloss who was originally with KLH, Cambridge Audio, Advent and then Tivoli. Great design, very good sounding radios.
Anyone else have one of his designs?

I have a couple of the tivoli table radios and a Pal, easily ten years old. They are wonderfully warm and tune well, I really love them. My pal has become sticky and I have beentrying to figure out how to fix it, I'm interested in how you got them to let you trade your pal in at a large discount.
In a similar situation I was recently disappointed by Canon in that I have one of their high end point and shoot cameras (s90) that started having trouble focussing and when I sent it to their service department they said they no longer service this 6 year old model. They did offer $15 off of a new camera as a customer loyalty program. Somehow 15 dollars off of a 5-600 dollar camera didn't really inspire me to stay loyal and now I'm looking at getting a Nikon or Sony instead, possibly for more like 1k.

ron ll
09-07-2015, 09:49 PM
I simply wrote them an email saying that I loved the PAL radio but the stickiness had made it almost unusable and did they know of anything that would help. They very kindly wrote back with a couple of cleaning hints ( which I had already tried) or they would be happy to offer 50% off any of their current products. I opted for that and they sent me a return authorization code and at this point I have sent the old radio back and am awaiting the next step. I think it is a win/ win situation. I'm sure they aren't losing money by wholesaling a new product to me, yet for half price I get a new non-sticky radio that has Bluetooth.

Skegemog
09-08-2015, 06:28 AM
I simply wrote them an email saying that I loved the PAL radio but the stickiness had made it almost unusable and did they know of anything that would help. They very kindly wrote back with a couple of cleaning hints ( which I had already tried) or they would be happy to offer 50% off any of their current products. I opted for that and they sent me a return authorization code and at this point I have sent the old radio back and am awaiting the next step. I think it is a win/ win situation. I'm sure they aren't losing money by wholesaling a new product to me, yet for half price I get a new non-sticky radio that has Bluetooth.

I tried soap and water, naptha, denatured alcohol and a couple other things and nothing worked. I'm going to do send them an email, thanks!

Garret
09-08-2015, 06:45 AM
I had some AR 3's (driven by Macs & Marantz preamp. Wish I still had that setup, but the speakers got pretty well blown out by music including what's been listed above. Oh - AR turntable too. I've also had various Advent products: speakers, radios, cassette deck (which had than amazing new Dolby noise reduction:)).

Obviously a very talented man.

ron ll
09-08-2015, 10:39 AM
I tried soap and water, naptha, denatured alcohol and a couple other things and nothing worked. I'm going to do send them an email, thanks!

I found that alcohol worked but it also took off all the printing including the frequencies on the dial.