PDA

View Full Version : 30 Square Meter Sloops

timmyd
04-02-2001, 09:42 PM
Where are they? Supposedly there are 25 or so still in the states, but where? I'm lookin. Anyone got anything?

timmyd
Where are they? Supposedly there are 25 or so still in the states, but where? I'm lookin. Anyone got anything?

timmyd

Bayboat
04-03-2001, 02:14 PM
Try the harbormaster at Montrose Harbor, Chicago. There were a couple of 30-squares there a few years ago.

Bayboat
Try the harbormaster at Montrose Harbor, Chicago. There were a couple of 30-squares there a few years ago.

Bayboat

Nicholas Carey
04-03-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Bayboat:

BIJOU II lives in Seattle. Here homeport is Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. 40 feet of varnished mahogany rocket sled.

RUMBLESEAT used to live in San Francisco, but was recently sold to Florida. RUMBLESEAT is highly modifed -- she now carries a fin keel and a spade rudder. Her SF owner, who gave here the face lift, claimed to have hit 19 knots with her in her current configuration.

Cheers,

N.

Nicholas Carey

BIJOU II lives in Seattle. Here homeport is Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. 40 feet of varnished mahogany rocket sled.

RUMBLESEAT used to live in San Francisco, but was recently sold to Florida. RUMBLESEAT is highly modifed -- she now carries a fin keel and a spade rudder. Her SF owner, who gave here the face lift, claimed to have hit 19 knots with her in her current configuration.

Cheers,

N.

Nicholas Carey

Cheers,

N.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
04-04-2001, 07:47 AM
How about the 22 square meter sloops? I know of one in Marinette, Wisconsin-Menominee, Michigan. Belongs to my brother. Built in Sweden in the 1930s. Several are also located in Chicago. WoodenBoat had an article about them several years ago.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
How about the 22 square meter sloops? I know of one in Marinette, Wisconsin-Menominee, Michigan. Belongs to my brother. Built in Sweden in the 1930s. Several are also located in Chicago. WoodenBoat had an article about them several years ago.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude

BRogers
04-04-2001, 09:52 PM
I just read the article in wooden boat 114. It has lots of info on all the square meeter class. I didn't know anything about the class and am angshous to learn were I might find any of the boats in the US.

BRogers
I just read the article in wooden boat 114. It has lots of info on all the square meeter class. I didn't know anything about the class and am angshous to learn were I might find any of the boats in the US.

BRogers

Rich VanValkenburg
04-14-2001, 09:05 PM
There are a few 30 squares in Port Huron, Michigan at the Port Huron Yacht Club. As of late, some have been in hiding while being restored. Several years ago there were two 30's at Jefferson Beach Marina on Lake St. Clair. I own a 22 square that was built in Sweden in 1934 to an Eric Nilsson design, S-200, and is in a Detroit marina.

This web site is great for tracking down boats, and also for the quarterly newletter(though it's all in Swedish!) www.sskf.se (http://www.sskf.se)

There are some 22's left in Chicago, all in need of repair according to one owner that I'm in contact with. Most of the Detroit 22 and 30 fleet wound up in Cleveland and Chicago in the early 1950's.

A book was published by a Swede, Per Thelander, that lists most of the boats and where they were built, year, designer etc. called "All of Our Square Meters". Also written in Swedish, the boats are listed by class and original sail number, and contains some old photos. If you are in need of basic info about one of the boats listed, email me and I will scan the page if the boat is listed.

Rich VanValkenburg
There are a few 30 squares in Port Huron, Michigan at the Port Huron Yacht Club. As of late, some have been in hiding while being restored. Several years ago there were two 30's at Jefferson Beach Marina on Lake St. Clair. I own a 22 square that was built in Sweden in 1934 to an Eric Nilsson design, S-200, and is in a Detroit marina.

This web site is great for tracking down boats, and also for the quarterly newletter(though it's all in Swedish!) www.sskf.se (http://www.sskf.se)

There are some 22's left in Chicago, all in need of repair according to one owner that I'm in contact with. Most of the Detroit 22 and 30 fleet wound up in Cleveland and Chicago in the early 1950's.

A book was published by a Swede, Per Thelander, that lists most of the boats and where they were built, year, designer etc. called "All of Our Square Meters". Also written in Swedish, the boats are listed by class and original sail number, and contains some old photos. If you are in need of basic info about one of the boats listed, email me and I will scan the page if the boat is listed.

Rich VanValkenburg

Thad
04-15-2001, 05:58 AM
Finally. Thank you. Is the Lille Singvie(sic?) still in the Detroit area? She was the biggest 30 and wrecked the fleet here in Marblehead by always winning, precipitating the move to the Detroit area.

Thad
Finally. Thank you. Is the Lille Singvie(sic?) still in the Detroit area? She was the biggest 30 and wrecked the fleet here in Marblehead by always winning, precipitating the move to the Detroit area.

Thad

Rich VanValkenburg
04-15-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Thad:

The last time I saw Lil Singva, she was in Port Huron. That was last summer. There were several boats with that name. The boat that I saw was around 46 feet in length.

Rich VanValkenburg

The last time I saw Lil Singva, she was in Port Huron. That was last summer. There were several boats with that name. The boat that I saw was around 46 feet in length.

Rich VanValkenburg