PDA

View Full Version : Carbonfiber Canoe repair

Trap02664
08-13-2015, 07:02 PM
I spent way too much money on a Carbon/Kevlar canoe to run the allagash, long story shortened. I destroyed the boat. 20-30 cracks visible from the inside, kevalr side, and a number of small cracks through the carbon fiber. My question is, can I go over the whole exterior of the boat with 6oz glass and west system epoxy? My plan is to take off all the trim, sand the whole exterior of the boat, lay a full layer over the hull, then a football on the bottom. Any thoughts?

upchurchmr
08-13-2015, 09:21 PM
6 oz of glass wont make up for cracks thru the thickness of the carbon.
If you just have to try and still use it put 6 oz on the outside and 6 oz on the inside as much as you can.
Then don't count on it for much

If you just do the outside then in the area of the cracks all you have is a 6oz boat single ply boat. Not worth much.

Hang it over the mantle and tell the big story.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Todd Bradshaw
08-13-2015, 11:48 PM
What he said. By the time you rebuild it substantially enough to actually work (which is far more than you have outlined in your plan) it will no longer be very light, no longer be very strong, have almost no value on the used market and no curb appeal, yet be tying up a lot of expensive repair materials and labor time. It just isn't worth it.