PDA

View Full Version : Diesel OBs

Kermit
08-30-2000, 07:30 PM
Anyone have any experience with Yanmar's diesel outboards? Talk to me.

Kermit

Kermit

Jamie Hascall
08-31-2000, 08:39 PM
I was just told about a guy at Shilshole who just got a Chinese diesel outboard. It sounded crude but effective and very heavy. I'm sure I can find out the dock # if you'd like a look. Whatcha got cookin?

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
I was just told about a guy at Shilshole who just got a Chinese diesel outboard. It sounded crude but effective and very heavy. I'm sure I can find out the dock # if you'd like a look. Whatcha got cookin?

Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Jamie

Ed Harrow
08-31-2000, 09:28 PM
Oh god, not the china diesel syndrome again! http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ed Harrow
Oh god, not the china diesel syndrome again! http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ed Harrow

John Gearing
09-01-2000, 07:01 PM
I remember that some years back there was a diesel outboard made by an Italian firm. As I recall the word on it was that it was loud, vibrated a lot, and was heavy for the power it produced. I'm not sure why anyone would want a diesel outboard. Seems to me the main reason people want diesel engines in their sailboats is freedom from fear of exploding their boat due to an unnoticed gasoline leak. Seems to me that with an outboard, much of that concern vanishes. No engine down in the bilges, hence no opportunity for gasoline to leak into the bilges. Of course I suppose one could always put a gas tank down in the bilges and still run an outboard, but that would seem a bit odd to me. My 2 cents.

John Gearing
I remember that some years back there was a diesel outboard made by an Italian firm. As I recall the word on it was that it was loud, vibrated a lot, and was heavy for the power it produced. I'm not sure why anyone would want a diesel outboard. Seems to me the main reason people want diesel engines in their sailboats is freedom from fear of exploding their boat due to an unnoticed gasoline leak. Seems to me that with an outboard, much of that concern vanishes. No engine down in the bilges, hence no opportunity for gasoline to leak into the bilges. Of course I suppose one could always put a gas tank down in the bilges and still run an outboard, but that would seem a bit odd to me. My 2 cents.

John Gearing

Kermit
09-03-2000, 01:19 PM
Ohmigod, not China--Yanmar. They make a couple of diesel OBs, something like 27 and 36 HP. Seen here, but this is all I know.
http://www.yanmar.com/FRAMES45.HTM

If it was China, I wouldn't ask. A friend is looking at a boat which I haven't seen, set up for OB power, described to me as "lobster boat like." It has no engines, and he wondered to me about Yanmar's diesels. I know their inboard power, but have never seen the OBs. Hence, I come here, to the font of all knowledge worth having.

[This message has been edited by Kermit (edited 09-03-2000).]

Kermit
Ohmigod, not China--Yanmar. They make a couple of diesel OBs, something like 27 and 36 HP. Seen here, but this is all I know.

If it was China, I wouldn't ask. A friend is looking at a boat which I haven't seen, set up for OB power, described to me as "lobster boat like." It has no engines, and he wondered to me about Yanmar's diesels. I know their inboard power, but have never seen the OBs. Hence, I come here, to the font of all knowledge worth having.

Kermit

Jamie Hascall
09-05-2000, 01:39 PM
Kermit,

Sorry to get off the track. I guess it's a symptom of that China Diesel Syndrome. I have seen the Yanmar Diesel outboard at Doc Freemans in Seattle. It was nicely packaged and the 27 horse model was about the size of a normal 100 horse outboard. I must say that unless there's some major reason to go diesel, I'd tend toward a nice Honda four stroke or something similar.

Good luck to your friend.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
Kermit,

Sorry to get off the track. I guess it's a symptom of that China Diesel Syndrome. I have seen the Yanmar Diesel outboard at Doc Freemans in Seattle. It was nicely packaged and the 27 horse model was about the size of a normal 100 horse outboard. I must say that unless there's some major reason to go diesel, I'd tend toward a nice Honda four stroke or something similar.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
Kermit,

Jamie

Kermit
09-05-2000, 07:59 PM
Thanks, Jamie. That confirms my suspicions. It seemed to me that they had to be heavy. It sounds like they have a market in the third world, perhaps.

Kermit
Thanks, Jamie. That confirms my suspicions. It seemed to me that they had to be heavy. It sounds like they have a market in the third world, perhaps.

Kermit

Gary Bergman
09-05-2000, 09:27 PM
Took a spin on a 'bonka' in Leyte that had a diesel outboard. Ran great, but was large. Must've been a Yanmar althought the case was all trashed out, as about all small diesel 'anythings' we used were Yanmar. Like I said, though it ran great, and there wasn't any refined gas to be found, generally, other than in Ormoc city.

Gary Bergman
Took a spin on a 'bonka' in Leyte that had a diesel outboard. Ran great, but was large. Must've been a Yanmar althought the case was all trashed out, as about all small diesel 'anythings' we used were Yanmar. Like I said, though it ran great, and there wasn't any refined gas to be found, generally, other than in Ormoc city.

Gary Bergman

TomRobb
09-06-2000, 09:59 AM
A Chinese diesel outboard? Sounds like the worst of all possible worlds. Unless you prefer stone-axe simple and the weight is not a big deal.

TomRobb
A Chinese diesel outboard? Sounds like the worst of all possible worlds. Unless you prefer stone-axe simple and the weight is not a big deal.

TomRobb

Steve L.
09-10-2000, 11:40 AM
The town pumpout boats and the Harbor Masters boats in Block Island use the 27 hp deisel outboards. They are real workboats, and on long weekends, run 15 hours a day. The fella that pumped our boat said they have lots of low end torque, and run for hours on a gallon of fuel. The pumpout boats have 300 gallon holding tanks, so the engines are really pushing some weight. Also they were not any louder than a two stroke outboard, in fact being a lower frequency they are less annoying than gas outboards. Well thats my 2 cents. Steve

Steve L.
The town pumpout boats and the Harbor Masters boats in Block Island use the 27 hp deisel outboards. They are real workboats, and on long weekends, run 15 hours a day. The fella that pumped our boat said they have lots of low end torque, and run for hours on a gallon of fuel. The pumpout boats have 300 gallon holding tanks, so the engines are really pushing some weight. Also they were not any louder than a two stroke outboard, in fact being a lower frequency they are less annoying than gas outboards. Well thats my 2 cents. Steve

Steve L.