Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

JEB!! -- born on third base...

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower once famously said of George Bush Sr., "He is a man who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."

There has never been a better illustration of that attitude in the Bush family than this verbal slip-up Jeb Bush made in last night's Republican presidential debate, when challenged by Fox News moderator Bret Baier to address "the real concern in this country about dynastic politics":
    I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it.

Jeb is called Jeb because his name is John Ellis Bush, a name given to him by George H. W. and Barbara Bush. He is claiming that he "earned" something that was literally bestowed upon him by his parents. In hindsight, he probably meant to use the "earned" line later in his answer, where he bragged about being known as "Veto Corleone" because of his 2,500 line-item vetoes of spending programs. But intentional or not, it's not a very compelling way to rebut concerns about dynastic politics.

More than a bungled answer, this seems to be a genuine blind spot. Just before Nameghazi, Bush contended that he faces "a higher bar" as a presidential aspirant due to his family connections, when the reality — obvious to anyone but a member of his immediate family — is that there's no way an ex-governor who left office in 2007 would be leading in fundraising or endorsements absent a vast political network bequeathed to him by his father and brother. Just ask George Pataki.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: JEB!! -- born on third base...

yawn
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

He's in a bad place. He can't criticize his family, but they are not popular. It was a bungled answer in a lackluster performance.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
        Ancient Mariner
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by CWSmith
        He's in a bad place. He can't criticize his family, but they are not popular. It was a bungled answer in a lackluster performance.
        I think Barbara is!

Comment

• CWSmith
          New Hampshire
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by S.V. Airlie
          I think Barbara is!
          Who do you think created those zeroes?
          "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Osborne Russell
            • Mar 2006

I don't get the point he was making. What else would they call him if he didn't "earn" the name Jeb? How did he "earn" it?
            Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• David G
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Paul Pless
              yawn
              Don't let them lull you to sleep there boychik... it's a ploy. The man is actually quite dangerous.
              David G
              Harbor Woodworks
              https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• CWSmith
                New Hampshire
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by David G
                Don't let them lull you to sleep there boychik... it's a ploy. The man is actually quite dangerous.
                You mean because he actually has many of the same advisers that his brother had and in the end of the day he's much like his brother but without the jokes?

Comment

• Garret
                  Hills of Vermont
                  • Apr 2005

I can say that he was known as "Jeb" in 9th grade...

Barbara Bush is quite something. Funny as hell & sharp as a tack. She's also done a ton of work on & contributions to child healthcare in Maine.
                  "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• CWSmith
                    New Hampshire
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Garret
                    Barbara Bush is quite something. Funny as hell & sharp as a tack. She's also done a ton of work on & contributions to child healthcare in Maine.
                    Her husband coined the phrase "Voodoo economics" and then lost the primary to it. I suspect the parents are still traditional Republicans. How much they agree with the kids is impossible to say.

Comment

• Jim Bow
                      Still tender and callow f
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Garret
                      I can say that he was known as "Jeb" in 9th grade...

Barbara stopped being funny with her comments about Katrina victims.
                      “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Gerarddm
                        #RESIST
                        • Feb 2010

Barbara stopped being funny with her comment about Geraldine Ferraro.

And yes, it is JEB, not Jeb. Similar to FIAT, not Fiat. It's an acronym, not a name.
                        Gerard>
                        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• John Smith
                          • Mar 2009

He was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a double; more accurate I think.
                          "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

Working...