PDA

View Full Version : Computer drafting software

Fletch
11-24-2000, 08:07 PM
I'm working on a book documenting the evolution of NW river dories. I have recovered lines of the historic boats and have developed construction plans. To test the integrity of each I have carefully modeled each incarnation. Sometime this winter I want to locate some "simple" design software I could use to commit my lines and plans to the digitized world. Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer dummy working with a PC (Windows 97)?
Thank you, Roger Fletcher

Fletch
I'm working on a book documenting the evolution of NW river dories. I have recovered lines of the historic boats and have developed construction plans. To test the integrity of each I have carefully modeled each incarnation. Sometime this winter I want to locate some "simple" design software I could use to commit my lines and plans to the digitized world. Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer dummy working with a PC (Windows 97)?

Fletch

G. Schollmeier
11-25-2000, 03:42 PM
Roger, What is it you want to do with the digital file? Some simple drawing programs are like paper and pencil. More advanced CAD
programs allow you to use the drawing as a model to take measurements. Some also have 3D. Most will run on 95 or better. None are simple, at least not for me. I now use AutoCad LT, and learn something knew about it every day. If this is a one time use, IMHO, hire the job done.
Gary

G. Schollmeier
Roger, What is it you want to do with the digital file? Some simple drawing programs are like paper and pencil. More advanced CAD
programs allow you to use the drawing as a model to take measurements. Some also have 3D. Most will run on 95 or better. None are simple, at least not for me. I now use AutoCad LT, and learn something knew about it every day. If this is a one time use, IMHO, hire the job done.
Gary

G. Schollmeier
Gary

Todd Bradshaw
11-25-2000, 10:28 PM
What about the "Plyboats" software? I seem to be stuck in a terminal rut with my 15 year-old MacDraw program and haven't tried anything else, but something made specifically for designing hard-chine plywood boats might be ideal for documenting drift boats. Has anybody out there used it?

Todd Bradshaw
What about the "Plyboats" software? I seem to be stuck in a terminal rut with my 15 year-old MacDraw program and haven't tried anything else, but something made specifically for designing hard-chine plywood boats might be ideal for documenting drift boats. Has anybody out there used it?

Todd Bradshaw

RobFM
12-07-2000, 09:16 PM
Roger,
I have been using a moderately priced CAD program called TurboCad for a couple of years. The company that makes it is IMSI and should be easy to find on the Web. The serious designers and engineers in my office use more sophisticated and expensive programs such as AutoCAD and ProEngineer. I have no training, but I find I can do most anything I need including some simple boat building projects with the TurboCAD program. I am sure there are also number of other similar products out there.

RobFM
Roger,
I have been using a moderately priced CAD program called TurboCad for a couple of years. The company that makes it is IMSI and should be easy to find on the Web. The serious designers and engineers in my office use more sophisticated and expensive programs such as AutoCAD and ProEngineer. I have no training, but I find I can do most anything I need including some simple boat building projects with the TurboCAD program. I am sure there are also number of other similar products out there.

RobFM
Roger,

NormMessinger
12-08-2000, 10:28 AM
The basic version of TurboCad is indeed modestly priced. Go to www.turbocad.com (http://www.turbocad.com) and download a free version. There are versions ranging in price on up to several hundred dollars but the free version is quite powerful for us amatures. Documentation on the free version is all in the help file which is useable but the book that comes with TurboCad 3D, V5 is much handier. Got an offer for v7 yesterday but don't see any advantage to me to upgrade.

--Norm

NormMessinger
The basic version of TurboCad is indeed modestly priced. Go to www.turbocad.com (http://www.turbocad.com) and download a free version. There are versions ranging in price on up to several hundred dollars but the free version is quite powerful for us amatures. Documentation on the free version is all in the help file which is useable but the book that comes with TurboCad 3D, V5 is much handier. Got an offer for v7 yesterday but don't see any advantage to me to upgrade.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

Andrew
12-13-2000, 09:44 AM
Run the search engine for previous topics on CAD programs. Several Freeware packages were mentioned.

Andrew
Run the search engine for previous topics on CAD programs. Several Freeware packages were mentioned.

Andrew

imported_Krueg
01-05-2001, 03:48 PM
I know that this post is rather late, but if you have not yet found a program that suits you I might be able to help. Let me start by saying I use AutoCad every day as a fiber optics designer (that is not the helpful part), but I've been around boats most of my life and worked on them for a time. I would be willing to commit your drawings to the digital world just for the fun of it and for what I might learn along the way. Not to mention the worthiness of a project such as you're undertaking. If you're interested you can email me. I'm in Southern California. If not, then good luck anyways.
Eric Krueger

imported_Krueg
I know that this post is rather late, but if you have not yet found a program that suits you I might be able to help. Let me start by saying I use AutoCad every day as a fiber optics designer (that is not the helpful part), but I've been around boats most of my life and worked on them for a time. I would be willing to commit your drawings to the digital world just for the fun of it and for what I might learn along the way. Not to mention the worthiness of a project such as you're undertaking. If you're interested you can email me. I'm in Southern California. If not, then good luck anyways.
Eric Krueger

imported_Krueg
Eric Krueger