PDA

View Full Version : My full collection of WoodenBoat.

Brian Palmer
07-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I have them all, right back to No. 1. I started reading and keeping them in 9th grade. But, I honestly do not go through them very often at all. Occasionally they are a useful reference, but so would that nifty little thumb drive.

I am torn. What to do?

Brian

landlocked sailor
07-26-2015, 07:08 PM
They'll hafta pry mine outa my cold dead hands. Nothing beats ink and paper on a cold winter night in fron of the fire. ❄️�� Rick

Jay Greer
07-26-2015, 08:51 PM
L. Francis Herrrshoff had a full collection of Rudder Magazine from the very first issue up until he became fed up with all of the "modern clap trap" as he described it, and subsequently canceled his subscription. I was tempted to buy them when he passed on but my wife, in her quiet way of wisdom, asked where are you going to put them all? Indeed, that is the question!
Jay

upchurchmr
07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
I have a large collection of "Multihulls" and a smaller collection of "Woodenboat" and I haven't looked at them for at least 5 years.
But I still have them with no intention of letting go.

Why?

I don't have a suggestion for you.
No one in my family will want them in a few years. A little depressing.

BBSebens
07-27-2015, 12:22 AM
No one in my family will want them in a few years. A little depressing.

Yeah, but there are guys here (like me) who would love to have a full set. Sure, I can buy the thumb drive and be able to search everything, but there's nothing quite like being able to flip through the pages yourself.

Mikey Floyd
07-27-2015, 05:40 AM
I got the thumb drive and gifted my set to the apprentice. I've never given the decision a second thought since.

Disclaimer: I'm an intense minimalist, the less stuff I have, the happier I am!

andykane
07-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm with Mikey. I gave away a near complete set and it was a great relief. There's a goldmine of info in the backissues but the pdfs are fine for that and not tripping over boxes of magazines is a joy. I was actually just given another fairly extensive set and plan to give it away too - Ben, they're yours if you want. I could probably find a way to send them to the PT WBF.

BBSebens
07-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Or, I could find a reason to come to Victoria. ;)