X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

As Time Goes By

I have told myself to not post after the first martini. But somehow the second martini seems to override that. I finished my chores on the boat and I'm sitting on the back deck of Snoose. It is still about 78 F at 7:00pm with a cool northerly. It's Friday evening so the marina is active, some boats pulling out for the weekend, people sitting on decks having cocktails or BBQing some king salmon caught today and/or cooking up some Dungies they just brought in from outside the breakwater. A few dinghies pass by with dogs or kids in life jackets.

There are many sounds; seagulls, halyards, laughter and chatter, and up wind on the next dock someone is playing a tenor sax, "As Time Goes By".

Where's Ish when we need him?
  • Glen Longino
    • Jun 2008

Re: As Time Goes By

You'll do till Ish shows up, Ron!
    Nice account of your afternoon!

Comment

• paulf
      • Jan 2012

Beautiful evening here in Sequim as well. Spent the night on the boat last night. Everything is real calm.

Enjoy the evening.
      PaulF

Comment

• cathouse willy
        Not that sensitive guy
        • Jan 2008

Ive spent evenings like you describe just a bit north of you in the gulf islands. There's nothing like the sound of waves gentle on the beach or the tug of a boat at anchor to make to make you sleep well and wake up with a smile, Thanks for posting this

Comment

• C. Ross
          • May 2007

Thanks Ron. A pretty nice image.

Comment

• bamamick
            • Nov 2003

I wish that I could enjoy the moment as well as you just described, Ron. I always seem to be running to the next thing without stopping any longer than it takes to do any one particular thing. I have always told myself I'd get there one day, and lately I have been saying that when I retire I will have the time, but you guys all know that's bunk. You need to take the moments as they come instead of them racing by, and I just have never learned to do that.

The closest I ever came is when I had the Beetle Cat. I made a promise to myself that I would sail at least once a week, and I have many great memories of going out of Fairhope YC on cold winter mornings and sailing around for an hour or two, just doing nothing but sailing and watching the birds and the weather. That's one of the big reasons I want another cat boat, and hope to have one by this time next year.

Maybe I should take lessons from my brother-in-law just across the creek from me. He is an expert at relaxing. Three of his fraternity brothers from college are in Alaska now fishing. The day they left we were sitting on the top deck of his houseboat in Fish River, grilling snapper wrapped in bacon, and as the sun went down the sky turned a bright pink-ish color. He asked my sister-in-law to snap a picture and send it to his buddies, with the message that with fresh-caught snapper and a sky like that why would you travel so far from home? Of course, he has been to Alaska before so maybe that makes it not so special for him. I would have been gone in a flash, were I able.

Mickey Lake
            'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
              can eat fifty eggs
              • Sep 2003

Nice of the sax man to provide the backdrop.

My experience with ambient saxophone is more like this:

Comment

• Gerarddm
                #RESIST
                • Feb 2010

Ron's Op confirms the old quote about nothing is half so much worth doing as messing around with boats.
                Gerard>
                Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• ron ll
                  Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                  • Oct 2005

Not sure about the martinis, but I'm convinced that a little time occasionally spent just watching and listening is better heart medicine than statins.

Comment

• bobbys
                    • Jun 2009

I had a very small peek at the sunset but was chasing grandchildren around, changing diapers, They kept the cartoon channel on full blast with Mickey mouse songs, I tripped over hot wheels , barbies, toys, Old food items showed up on the couch, the DAWG ran away, The neighbor ran his quad up and down his driveway in a endless cycle , we ran out of milk and ice pops..

Yeah no tenor sax playing mood music here.

I did read Yer post though and hummed a few bars of .as time goes by though.

Comment

• ron ll
                      Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                      • Oct 2005

It's a great song and one of the few tunes that work well for solo tenor sax.

Comment

• C. Ross
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Gerarddm
                        Ron's Op confirms the old quote about nothing is half so much worth doing as messing around with boats.
                        Indeed!

Comment

Working...