PDA

View Full Version : Found a Vix bit

John Smith
07-15-2015, 06:32 PM
This is an odd looking thing. Plastic cylinder it is in says it is for drilling self centering holes. Anyone know how it works?

The Bigfella
07-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Like this

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Drilling/66j0824s1.jpg

Old Dryfoot
07-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Ian beat me to it.

Breakaway
07-15-2015, 07:03 PM
So much understanding hinges upon imagery.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

bob winter
07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
This is an odd looking thing. Plastic cylinder it is in says it is for drilling self centering holes. Anyone know how it works?

We are a tad slow?

Paul Girouard
07-15-2015, 09:11 PM

And we let this guy vote, no wonder the countries in trouble!

Canoeyawl
07-15-2015, 11:04 PM
North Brothers Tools

"North Bros. key acquisition was the hiring of Zachary Furbish when it purchased the Forest City Screwdriver Co in 1897. He brought with him patents related to a spiral ratchet screw driver and considerable experience in tool design. This was their foothold into the tool manufacturing industry which would later become the core of their business. Furbish alone would eventually amass 30 patents related to hand tools produced by North Bros., despite passing away in 1906, and his designs would become the backbone of their product lines for years to come.[6] North Bros. tool brand was called Yankee, much like how Sears tools are branded Craftsman, and every tool they sold sported this trademark. In later years the Yankee name would become synonymous with the spiral ratchet screw driver invented by Furbish but it was originally seen on everything from bench vises to cutting tools. Building upon the line of tools originally made by Forest City, North Bros. soon expanded their selection of offerings. Screwdrivers were joined by push drills, breast drills, hand drills (also called egg beater drills), hand powered bench drills, bit and braces, ratcheting tap wrenches, vises, cutting tools and small tool kits"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Brothers_Manufacturing_Company

skuthorp
07-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Even out here those spiral drives were marketed as Yankee. I have a couple in the shop.

John Smith
07-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks, I think. That's what it is, as pictured above. It certainly appears that one would put one end into the chuck and put the other end where one wishes to drill, holding the outer cylinder. That would require, as with my old yankee screwdriver, the inards to turn while the outers are held. This unit seems disinclined to do so. Closer inspection reveals a set screw.

It's fine to rib someone, and I don't really mind. I think however, there is some wisdom in learning about something before making any effort to use it.

This one has a drill bit in it. Appears to have been included with the tool. I have not been able to get that drill bit to even peak out of the end of this tool. My guess, which is a guess, is that I've got to loosen the set screw. On the other hand, this is an old tool. maybe a drop of oil.

Tom Wilkinson
07-16-2015, 07:11 AM
The end of the tool is spring loaded. Depresses into the cylinder as you drill. Bit should not extend past tip of the tool when at rest. Defeats the purpose.

BrianY
07-16-2015, 07:15 AM
You might find this helpful: http://www.table-saw-guide.com/vix-bits.html

The cylinder around the bit should retract when you push it down, thereby exposing the bit. If it doesn't, it's probably clogged. The wood chips from the drill sometimes get jammed up inside the cylinder and that prevents it from retracting. You just need to take it apart (see the pix on the website above) and clear it out.

John Smith
07-16-2015, 10:46 AM
The end of the tool is spring loaded. Depresses into the cylinder as you drill. Bit should not extend past tip of the tool when at rest. Defeats the purpose.

Thanks. Takes quite a shove. I hadn't pushed hard enough.

John Smith
07-16-2015, 10:47 AM
You might find this helpful: http://www.table-saw-guide.com/vix-bits.html

The cylinder around the bit should retract when you push it down, thereby exposing the bit. If it doesn't, it's probably clogged. The wood chips from the drill sometimes get jammed up inside the cylinder and that prevents it from retracting. You just need to take it apart (see the pix on the website above) and clear it out.

Thanks to you, also.