X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katherine
    Too Young to be a Senior
    • Sep 2004

West With the Night

I read Beryl Markham's biography a number of years ago and found her fascinating. There is a new book about her coming out next week that I've already per-ordered from Amazon.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.
  • S.V. Airlie
    Ancient Mariner
    • Dec 2006

Re: West With the Night

Never heard of her!

Comment

• Katherine
      Too Young to be a Senior
      • Sep 2004

Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• Jim Bow
        Still tender and callow f
        • Jul 2008

Early aviation sure attracted a group of interesting women.

“Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• CWSmith
          New Hampshire
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Katherine
          I read Beryl Markham's biography a number of years ago and found her fascinating. There is a new book about her coming out next week that I've already per-ordered from Amazon.
          I read it years ago on the recommendation of a friend and I LOVED IT!

Rumor has it she put Hemingway to shame when it came to being The Great White in Africa. She was the real deal. He was the writer pretender.
          "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Hugh Conway
            Banned
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by CWSmith
            Rumor has it she put Hemingway to shame when it came to being The Great White in Africa. She was the real deal. He was the writer pretender
            • There are also rumors that she didn't solely write the book; little doubt Hemingway was a writer (or that some consider a "pretender" at being a hunter). Given those that participated are long dead and buried, the world they lived in is paved over, and often very little was left behind, I'm not sure how one can argue either way intelligently or that it matters.
            • They'd all have been interesting people to meet.

Comment

• CWSmith
              New Hampshire
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hugh Conway
              • They'd all have been interesting people to meet.
              Agreed. However, I must admit that as I get older I find Hemingway to be an adolescent personality. It seems he's always out in search of his manhood. He seems to take a rather primitive view of what it means to be a man. However, I would not mind lifting a few glasses with him...(just a few - he was Olympic class and I am purely an amateur).
              "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                • Apr 1999

There's an interesting controversy as to just how much she wrote. It will be interesting to see what the new book says.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                  • May 2002

she had a connection with Karen Blixen's husband... read the book
                  I have a hard copy and the audio version
                  The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                  Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Gerarddm
                    #RESIST
                    • Feb 2010

I tell you who I really would have liked to meet from that era- Gertrude Stein. Read Charmed Circle, brilliant.
                    Gerard>
                    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Hugh Conway
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Gerarddm
                      I tell you who I really would have liked to meet from that era- Gertrude Stein. Read Charmed Circle, brilliant.
                      An evening at her place would have been quite something for just the wall hangings alone - several years ago the SFMOMA brought together some of the art she'd collected. Stunning.

Add in her and her guests, amazing.

Comment

Working...