PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a wireless coax adapter? Booster?

Garret
07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
OK - I'll admit, Norms thread about wireless HDMI got me thinking that I should ask.

I am putting together a much lower tech solution as we have digital broadcast only - no cable or satellite (& I'd love to see some occasional TV without the exorbitant prices they charge). There are 2 antennas hooked to a Radio Shack booster in the attic - the kind that has a unit next to the antenna & then a plug in box at the end of the coax run - before it's distributed to the various jacks in the house. 2 antennas because signals come from 2 different directions.

I actually have 2 issues:

1) There is no jack in the living room, I guess because they had a separate TV/family room which will now be my office. So - I'd like to avoid tearing apart freshly painted walls & newly laid floors* & have thought of a wireless coax setup. Anyone used one they can recommend?

2) If I connect a TV directly to the output of the booster, I get 17 channels (I'm close to Canuckistan, so that gets me 5 or 6 more). When I connect to a cable jack elsewhere in the house (gotta love it - coax to the kitchen, bedroom, even one of the bathrooms - but not the living room), I cannot get any of the weaker signals (Canadian & my local CBS) - though many come through fine. Will another booster help? I have an antique distribution booster I tried, but no diff. Any thoughts on this?

* Plan is a 4 letter word. Someone with 1/2 a brain woulda run a cable before the walls got painted and the floors were laid. Unfortunately, the guy in charge has less than 1/2 a brain.

Ted Hoppe
07-14-2015, 04:48 PM
have you use a Mohu Leaf indoors? You'll know what your base line reception is. A booster for DTV in not really an option if your signals are lacking with this leaf. The leaf should be able to deliver at least 15 or more channels in including many hidden ones if you run your channel scanner. Have the left face an outfacing wall and see the response. Also try it horizontally which would be counter intuitive.

Garret
07-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Since I'd never heard of it before now, no I haven't. ;)

I do have 2 full conventional antennas in the attic though.

I should have added that I'm 20 miles from the closest transmitters & 50+ from the furthest.

The part I'm not getting is that if I hook the TV to the coax connector on the booster I get the 17 clear as a bell. It seems the added (50 ft.?) of coax to the other rooms drops the signal strength enough to reduce it to 10 or so - unless it's something I'm missing? The signal can't be boosted before it goes into or after it travels the long run? Would wireless do better?

Ted Hoppe
07-14-2015, 05:20 PM
you could look into a Mohu Sky 60 antenna installed into your attic. Use thier booster before your coax splitter. Anything within 60 miles should come crystal clear. It can drive three TVs without a problem.

http://www.gomohu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Sky-Attic.jpg

Garret
07-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Garret
07-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks Norm -

I was not aware of 1) the losses & 2) the degradation. I bet that's it - as it's 50+ feet (with snaking through walls) & 30 years old.

I do have an amp that has a box at the antenna (no electrical connection, just the coax) & another down in the house that plugs in. Fairly standard setup that radio shack has sold for years.

Garret
07-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Thanks!

Ted Hoppe
07-15-2015, 08:42 AM
After thinking about this maybe a new antenna may not be needed. Maybe the r6 cable is not the issue but the old splitters to split the signal. Go pick up a single barrel and replace the splitter with it. Connect each line from the antenna to each TVs. I bet you will find that the splitter you were using needed replacement. the never splitters are better made for digital signals plus any corrosion factor at the split can be cleaned up. Cleaning the ends and checking the barrel fitting to proper contact should help reduce signal loss.

Once you prove you have no bad cables but distribution problem then I'd consider integrating this solution.

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1309&d=1436554520

John of Phoenix
07-15-2015, 09:08 AM
With an open attic (as in the picture above), it's not that difficult to drop a cable down a wall and cut in a remodel outlet box.

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/images5/remodel%20electrical%20box%202%20cr.jpg

Garret
07-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks Ted - there is indeed on old splitter which I did not have in the circuit when I test & got 17 channels! I bet there are some buried in walls too though...

Garret
07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks Norm.

Several good points. I think I have some old arcnet terminators kicking around..... Hmmm... arcnet is so old the spellchecker doesn't recognize it! :)

Garret
07-15-2015, 02:09 PM
With an open attic (as in the picture above), it's not that difficult to drop a cable down a wall and cut in a remodel outlet box.

Now why didn't I think of that? Oh right - a foot of blown in cellulose... Still - a good idea.

Curtism
07-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Interesting thread, Garret. I've been on digital antennae for over a year now, trying different arrangements, and have run into a lot of the problems that were sorted out here. Thanks to Norman and others for the tips, time for more tweaking here.

One thing I found by trying different antenna's with different TV's is that they all gave varied results. Initially I put a directional unit on a 25' pole outdoors and it worked fairly well on the 50" in the living room. I also have a 24" in the bedroom and a 32" in the shop which I hooked up to small RCA wall mount indoor antenna's and the small TV in the bedroom gets almost twice the channels than the others. I gather the proximity to house wiring, electrical appliances or lamps affect the signal. When I turn on under-cabinet lights in the kitchen, the TV in the living room emits an audible zzzt and pixelates for a few seconds. A bose radio on the LR TV stand completely disrupts the signal when it's on AM. So there is obviously a tendency for outside interference(s). And of course, storms tend to mess with the signals as well.

Ted Hoppe
07-15-2015, 05:01 PM
It's all about the wavelengths. TV covers a broad swatch of frequencies... and two innocent looking pieces of metal, a few feet away from the antenna, might look (to the antenna) like part of the antenna itself, even when there's no galvanic connection (this is what you see when you look at a log periodic antenna, like used to be popular on rooftops all across America).

An allegorical example: while testing Bluetooth devices in connection with our DataFetch handheld license scanner product, we realized that chain link fences were completely opaque to the Bluetooth signal. The reason wasn't too hard to figure out: the openings in a typical chain link fence correspond to the wavelengths of Bluetooth frequencies.

I know people who have had great success with digital TV antennas. Unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky.... for whatever reason, they simply don't work well in my locations.

Norm - Perhaps it is the tinfoil helmet you insist on wearing that interferes with TV, Radio and higher band frequencies. Just glad to hear you are over the cell phone radiation sickness you had due to your teeth filings.

Garret
07-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Norm - Perhaps it is the tinfoil helmet you insist on wearing that interferes with TV, Radio and higher band frequencies. Just glad to hear you are over the cell phone radiation sickness you had due to your teeth filings.

Norm files his teeth?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu7IXbMKjdK-35XbSvEg5eb7M3V1uCd27ZUbJjlMZUGpXDpJ6A

Ted Hoppe
07-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Norm files his teeth?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu7IXbMKjdK-35XbSvEg5eb7M3V1uCd27ZUbJjlMZUGpXDpJ6A

that's his bilge rat nemesis. Perfect for securing small ambushes characteristic with many endangered conservative nocturnal fox republicans.

norm always puts his money where his mouth is.. Complex gold file fill.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/10/12/1350039778941/Big-picture-Gold-teeth-008.jpg