PDA

View Full Version : Southerners are NOT going to like this

Norman Bernstein
07-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Don't shoot the messenger :)

Politico (http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/how-the-south-skews-america-119725.html#ixzz3evuLpYui): “A lot of the traits that make the United States exceptional these days are undesirable, like higher violence and less social mobility. Many of these differences can be attributed largely to the South… Minus the South, the rest of the U.S. probably would be more like Canada or Australia or Britain or New Zealand—more secular, more socially liberal, more moderate in the tone of its politics and somewhat more generous in social policy. And it would not be as centralized as France or as social democratic as Sweden.”

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 09:46 AM
You do love your stereotypes David er I mean Norman, at least when they suit your ego. . .

Canoeyawl
07-04-2015, 09:53 AM
"In some future footnote or parenthetical aside, it may be observed that although General Robert E. Lee surrendered in 1865, the Confederacy’s final retreat did not occur until a century and a half later. The rearguard movement of Republicans in the aftermath of the slaughter in Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church marked the relinquishing of the Confederacy’s best-fortified positions: the cultural ones. We have for decades willfully coexisted with a translucent lie about the bloodiest conflict in American history and the moral questions at its center. Amid the calls last week to lower the Confederate battle flag at the state capitol, the defenders of the flag averred that it represents “heritage, not hate.” The great sleight of hand is the notion that these things were mutually exclusive.

Americans, both in the South and beyond, attach a particular brand of exceptionalism to the region. This is the reason that there is a Southern Historical Association but not a Northern one; a genre known as Southern literature but no Northern corollary; and a concept of Southern politics as something distinct from the national variety. The notion of the Confederate flag as a benign tribute to that exceptionalism rests upon another premise that illustrated, long before our present concerns with climate change and vaccination did, the political usefulness of denial: the idea that the Civil War was not fought over slavery—a claim that would have bewildered those who served in it—allowed Southerners to memorialize the leaders of an armed insurrection without the sticky moral baggage of bondage attached."

JELANI COBB

Norman Bernstein
07-04-2015, 10:00 AM
You do love your stereotypes David er I mean Norman, at least when they suit your ego. . .

Didn't I tell you NOT to shoot the messenger?

Hell, it ain't MY judgment or conclusion.... your argument is with the author.

Maybe you might want to consider whether what he says has elements of truth, or not. I frankly don't know. I simply posted it in order to aggravate you :)

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 10:17 AM
" . . . the single most salient factor in producing this situation was that the North didn't give a rip about the black people, so they left them to face the white supremacist, murderous bastards on their own." [#5]

There's a big stinking pile of denial.

It's a fact, as any jerk of even marginal historical literacy knows, that while the South fought to preserve and even extend slavery, the North fought to preserve Union.

But the South did not get the way it is suddenly in 1865 and southerners full well know it.

This is really about ancestry with biology reinforcing and reinforced by culture. For a brief survey of the homicidal problems of a culture of honor and the biological correlates, perhaps those interested, especially southerners interested in freeing themselves, might read http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92155/InsultAggressionAndTheSouthernCulture.pdf

Memphis Mike
07-04-2015, 10:22 AM
We can't help with your spiritual sickness, Norman. You will have to help yourself.

Gerarddm
07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
By the reaction of some Bilge rats, I see the OP title is spot on.

Too Little Time
07-04-2015, 10:39 AM
While all this may be true, or have elements of truthiness, the single most salient factor in producing this situation was that the North didn't give a rip about the black people, so they left them to face the white supremacist, murderous bastards on their own.

Sure, the South was wrong on the slavery issue, but the North was and STILL IS wrong to tolerate any squeak of racism from the South or from any flippin' where else.

The fact that Uncle Sam tolerated Jim Crow, the existence of the Klan, the existence of the Stars and Bars, and stood idly by while tens of thousands of Black people were lynched and otherwise murdered or terrorized is a blot on the soul of United States of America.

If you want to blame the Confederate States of America, you are 150 years too late. It no longer exists. The USA destroyed it, and left in its place a political chaos that was/is ruled by racist, greedy, murderous warlords.

I'm quite sure you're proud as to how that turned out.

I think you have a valid point.

Even after the 1960's civil rights actions. There was government sponsored segregation. Lenders were more than discouraged from assisting in integrating housing. The courts helped to keep schools segregated. Even welfare programs helped to destroy family structure. Given tax policy that favors the rich over the poor. Black people were and still are being beat up.

To my dismay I stood buy and did not notice a lot of this until recently.

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 10:53 AM
oznabrag, my point, which is obvious to all who actually read my post and peak at the link, is not that it was right to end Reconstruction and let the southern whites have their way again. That was indeed wrong. But my point is that northern negligence is not what made white southern males the way they are. Your reaction, so off point and so fitting the southern male thing, demonstrates the point.

Poor southern men who not just did not own slaves but were exploited by slave owners just as much as slaves were gave their lives for a reason and it was not simply the illusions of a bunch of sheep. Far from it. The research shows mutually reinforcing biological and cultural determinants here. I share that blood myself and fully get the impulses. I also know that a part of growing up is understanding human reactions and learning to use them rather than be a slave to them. The white souther male problem is being a slave to testosterone production and a quick draw sense of honor. George Washington spent some decades liberating himself from those. Present day white southern males can follow his excellent example. And present day white southern males can, if they educate themselves, benefit from our deeper understanding of the biology.

Canoeyawl
07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
?.. the white supremacist, murderous bastards...

...tens of thousands of Black people were lynched and otherwise murdered or terrorized is a blot on the soul of United States of America.

...was/is ruled by racist, greedy, murderous warlords.

I'm quite sure you're proud as to how that turned out.

Painting with such a broad brush makes it awkward to discuss, but a few highlights from your tirade might point to the crux of the problem.

Yes, we should all be proud that slavery is no longer part of this country and although the racism bit still needs work, it was never something that justified a war. With any sanity it should have been easily legislated.

It is an interesting exercise to think how it may have worked out if the confederacy had won that war. Would we still have the "right" to own people? (If not, how would we have abolished that notion?)
Would we still be importing people and selling them at market? Or would it be largely an offshore corporate control, a Walmart model for domestic labor, or Halliburton model for soldiers and oil field workers?
Stock options based on race or ethnicity?

Dave Wright
07-04-2015, 10:58 AM
This is really about ancestry with biology reinforcing and reinforced by culture. For a brief survey of the homicidal problems of a culture of honor and the biological correlates, perhaps those interested, especially southerners interested in freeing themselves, might read http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92155/InsultAggressionAndTheSouthernCulture.pdf

That was a fun read, thanks for posting. I enjoyed it, but once again was reminded of the difficulties that arise when one attempts to rate judgemental issues with "scientific" methods. The following paragraphs were good (at least for me):

"There are at least two explanations for why the insult pro-
duced a greater response from southerners.18
First, it could be
that our bump and "asshole" insult were a greater affront to
southerners, who are less accustomed to such rudeness than
northerners are. Second, it could be that southerners have
different "rules" for what to do once they are insulted. We be-
lieve both hypotheses to be true. Numerous observers have ar-
gued that southern culture is indeed more polite than northern
culture (perhaps as a way of avoiding conflict), and some data
from Experiment 3 support this assertion. We also believe, on
the basis of survey data (Cohen & NisbettT 1994) and in-depth
interview data collected with F. Lennox and J. Riad (Lennox et
al., 1996), that southerners have different rules for how to re-
spond to an affront. The expectations for what one should do
when one's honor, self, or property are threatened are different
in the South than in the North. For example, we found that
southerners are more likely to believe that the appropriate re-
sponse for a child who is being bullied is to fight back, and
southerners are more likely to think it is right for a man to hit
someone who insults him (Cohen & Nisbett, 1994). Such re-
sponses seem better described as rules about what to do when
provoked then as beliefs about what constitutes an insult.
However, data from the present experiments cannot untangle
the two explanations—both of which are probably true in any
case. Whatever the relative contributions of the two factors, we
think the results help us understand something about the etiol-
ogy of violence in the South and in similar cultures of honor.
The results provide strong additional evidence that the insult is
crucially important in such cultures. A male who is insulted but
does not retaliate risks having his masculine reputation dimin-
ished, or at any rate believes that to be the case. When a chal-
lenging or highly status-relevant situation is encountered
(usually but not necessarily in the ongoing insult situation
itself), the person may lash out with violent or aggressive behav-
ior to reassert him- or herself.
Strangely, results did not show that what we have called a
"public" insult produced heightened aggression over and above
a "private" insult. We do not believe this was because the public
versus private nature of an insult is unimportant. Rather, we
believe this was because of the weakness of our "public" manip-
ulation, which amounted only to insulting participants in front
of people they would never see again. Ideally, the insult should
take place in front of one's acquaintances, friends, or family
members to maximize the public nature of the affront.
Our laboratory experiments did not produce any truly vio-
lent behavior in our participants, so using these experiments as
a direct analogy to homicide-producing processes in the South
is inappropriate. Nevertheless, we believe the experiments
might represent a microcosm of the insult-aggression cycle that
is responsible for a good deal of violence in the South and in
similar cultures of honor in the United States and elsewhere. A
male who is affronted may be expected to respond with violence
because he will be seen as "not much of a man" if he does not
(Carter, 1950; Cohen & Nisbett, 1994)."

CWSmith
07-04-2015, 11:02 AM
There's a big stinking pile of denial.

To be fair, the north hardly shines in the decades following the civil war. Even with MLK, the goals of the civil rights movement hardly received what one would call full throated support in the north. Jim Crow was tolerated for quite a long time.

Canoeyawl
07-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Heh-heh

"... the results help us understand something about the
etiol-ogy of violence in the South and in similar cultures of honor.
The results provide strong additional evidence that the insult is
crucially important in such cultures. A male who is insulted but
does not retaliate risks having his masculine reputation dimin-
ished, or at any rate believes that to be the case. When a chal-
lenging or highly status-relevant situation is encountered
(usually but not necessarily in the ongoing insult situation
itself), the person may lash out with violent or aggressive behav-
ior to reassert him- or herself."

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 11:11 AM
"To be fair, the north hardly shines in the decades following the civil war . . . " [#16]

You want to be fair?

I know that and it's not the point.

The issue is why white southern men are the way they are. The reactions blaming the north start with the absurd pretense that white souther male behavior started in 1865. Come on boys and girls, you know better.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-04-2015, 11:18 AM

That's an opinion Norm but it just ain't true.
Ya'll need to stop bashing the South.
Especially on the freakin fourth!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVN_iuVcIJE

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 11:29 AM
As you, those interested, look into the issue, you will find genetic research associating these traits with the scots-irish genotypes that swarmed these shores in the first half of the eighteenth century and really made our initial wester frontier across the Allegheny Mountains. The quick to fight instinct is a very good thing for herdsmen who must react to threats from man and beast. It's natural to all humans but runs stronger in the DNA for some than others. This biological trend can be reinforced or not through the culture.

And therein lies the point that some here doggedly deny. White southern males are exposed to both biological and cultural factors that make it more of a challenge for them to just chill, to just be benignly tolerant of other ways of being. And white southern males are the only ones who can really do much of anything about it. If they want and if they have the moral courage to work with those biological and cultural determinants towards their own freedom or if they want to continue in thralldom not just to those instincts but to the modern equivalent of the old Southern aristocracy that was so able to exploit them.

LeeG
07-04-2015, 11:33 AM
No, no, no, you historical illiterate!

The US government's behavior starting in 1865 condoned all sorts of lynching and murder and torture and racial oppression.

DEAL WITH IT.

It did but I get the impression you are implying some kind of equivalence between positions on a spectrum of injustice from slavery to racial violence to discrimination as though they are the same thing. Or that those advocating the end of slavery are somehow responsible for ending discrimination

07-04-2015, 11:40 AM
"We Ain't Much Different"

This is a story 'bout livin'
A tale of a long hard road
Ain't a whole lot of misgivin's
Of the things that I thought I sowed
My daddy was a real hard worker
He said son there will come a day
Talk ain't always cheap
And here's what daddy had to say
With these hands I've made my livin'
With these hands I've held a child
With these hands I've climbed a mountain
Sometimes we forget
We ain't much different at all

He likes grits, you like the apple
There ain't nothin' wrong with that
He says y'all, you say you'se
It all depends on where you're at
Well a little bit of music is a whole lot of fun
And its always good for the soul
From New York City out to California
You know its only rock and roll

With these hands we come together
With these hands we can change the world
With these hands I play my music
Sometimes we forget
We ain't much different at all

Oh, not at all
So what I'm trying to tell you
Is that I'm only one son of the South
Its gonna take more than you me and you
To work this whole thing out

With these hands I've made my livin'
With these hands I've held a child
With these hands I've climbed a mountain
Sometimes we forget

With these hands we come together
With these hands we can change the world
With these hands I play my music
Sometimes we forget
We ain't much different
We ain't much different
Ain't much different
At all

Dave Wright
07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
..The quick to fight instinct is a very good thing for herdsmen who must react to threats from man and beast. It's natural to all humans but runs stronger in the DNA for some than others. This biological trend can be reinforced or not through the culture.

Man you're going out on a limb if you think you can find this sort of thing in DNA. If it's there, and if it can be found it won't be in your lifetime. To me it's predominately a cultural thing, and in fact the authors of the "study" you posted actually believe that too. It's really apparent in one little sentence buried in the work:

"Jewish students were excluded because we hypothesized that Jewish culture might dilute regional differences. "

Peerie Maa
07-04-2015, 12:08 PM
So who wound Oznabrag up till he imploded?

Boater14
07-04-2015, 12:08 PM
I have to be consistent. I bash them when they cite Breitbart or Fox so....POLITICO....Norm...really?

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
So who wound Oznabrag up till he imploded?damn yankees

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Yes Dave, the study I mentioned emphasizes the cultural and yes the biology is opaque at best. We don't know exact mechanisms, which might mean that they don't exist or might mean we just don't know yet. It's probably not, by the way, one specific gene. Might not even be a specific combination. But anyone with half a brain can see that cultural and family factors are every bit as opaque. Just look at how differently children from the same family can turn out. I no more accept blandly pretending it's all cultural or all biological than I accept that it's neither. What I accept is a level of ignorance, a desire to know more, and a fairly good sense that spiritual and material, genetic and cultural, are intertwined just as we are, incarnate self-aware beings that we are.

Again, the point is that ALL human beings have a choice of being victims to our physical and cultural heritage or of using that to be better people. What I totally reject is that it's someone else's fault - not mommy's and not some rich jerk's fault. And I rather expect that most southern white men, even those who are not really working at their own growth, don't seriously think that northerners made them as they are.

This analysis, when fully explored, does include dealing with society's role in shaping people. It's pretty obvious and many people are traumatized or limited by social oppression. Not only must we work to change those conditions, but getting the victims to participate in changing those social conditions is (far from blaming the conditions as a way to escape personal responsibility) a great way for those people to gain personal power and control.

LeeG
07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
damn yankees

I'm from California, this whole Civil War stuff had less of an importance to my regional identity growing up than the Gold Rush. As a kid my sense was the East Coast and South were so far away as to be another country. Pancho Villa in Mexico and great grandparents growing citrus in SoCal figured in family stories more significantly than Yankees and Southerners in the East.

07-04-2015, 12:34 PM
damn yankees

I'm going to remind you of this, next Winter, when you're plowing the driveway from Hell.;)
Hell is North of Lorain ya know.....right?

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Hell is North of Lorain ya know.....right?far enough north to not get any lake effect :D

07-04-2015, 12:41 PM
You better not be givin away all the yankee secrets to your Rebel friends.

Norman Bernstein
07-04-2015, 01:12 PM
It looks like my work is done here :)

Curtism
07-04-2015, 01:23 PM
It looks like my work is done here :)

No, your work is far from done. Tomorrow you'll find some other angle to the topic and race to post it.

Congratulations for the fine piece of scab picking. But don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, Norman.

Bobby of Tulsa
07-04-2015, 01:28 PM
You can Tell Norman is a fisherman, Master http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Bobby450/310121481_zpsf7b1fee3.gif (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Bobby450/media/310121481_zpsf7b1fee3.gif.html)

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 01:32 PM
a keen 'master-baiter'?

Reynard38
07-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Present day white southern males can follow his excellent example. And present day white southern males can, if they educate themselves, benefit from our deeper understanding of the biology.

Looks like Bo, Luke and the rest are....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHO1PprfmkY&sns=em

Y'all really can't get off this subject can you? Why the fascination? Kinda flattering actually. 😏

bobbys
07-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Unbelivable !

bobbys
07-04-2015, 01:49 PM
You can Tell Norman is a fisherman, Master http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Bobby450/310121481_zpsf7b1fee3.gif (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Bobby450/media/310121481_zpsf7b1fee3.gif.html).

Well look at it this way, he is a shoo in for liberal BROTM.

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Reynard38, you dawg.

07-04-2015, 01:51 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/60692773.jpg

ahp
07-04-2015, 02:12 PM
This transplanted Connecticut Yankee suspects it is true, but I would like to see some statistics.

CK 17
07-04-2015, 02:24 PM
I grew up in ma. I saw lots of racism. Not the cross burning kind. The boys in the north seemed to be quieter about it.

now regarding the OP, would the north become a socialist utopia without the south? Well we do seem to vote smarter up here :d

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 02:42 PM
The issue here is not northern racism, real and rancid as that is.

The OP and the link I provided at (current) #5 make somewhat different albeit complimentary points and it's at best indirectly to do with American (or if you view it as different, Southern) racism. It is true that Southern desire to protect and expand slavery became their causa belli. It's also true that the North had plenty of racists (at least by today's standandards) from Lincoln through, well past Reconstruction, Teddy Roosevelt, and to today. But slavery, the overt cause of the Civil War, and racism, our festering heritage, does not explain how poor white southern men felt duty and honor bound to die in such heroic numbers for the southern slave owners. I believe the OP and my link provide some insights into both that historical moment and how it continues today.

The OP is not about racism except as an associated phenomenon to southern white male exceptionalism, an interesting and complex set of issues. Just as various Northern peculiarities are complex and interesting. It's a shame that so many of the participants here only want to discuss the latter as a way of evading serious discussion of the former.

Peerie Maa
07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
No it is not, it is about egotistical Northerners, that want to claim superiority over the south.

I suppose that the FBI might have a northerner bias, but Gallup as well?

According to the FBI in 2012, the South as a region, containing only a quarter of the population, accounted for 40.9 percent of U.S. violent crime.Compared to other Americans, Southerners disproportionately support sanctioned violence in all of its forms, from military intervention abroad to capital punishment to corporal punishment of children. According to Gallup, Southern households have a far higher rate of gun ownership (38 percent) than households in the East (21 percent), Midwest (29 percent) or West (27 percent).

The death penalty has been abolished in Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Isolated among the major English-speaking nations, the U.S. is among the world’s leaders when it comes to per capita executions, competing with the regimes in Saudi Arabia, China, Iran and North Korea. The U.S. owes this dubious honor to the South. Between the time the Supreme Court ended the ban on the death penalty and mid-June of this year, the South was responsible for 81 percent of the executions in the United States, with Texas and Oklahoma alone accounting for 45 percent of the whole.

Memphis Mike
07-04-2015, 02:55 PM
The issue here is not northern racism, real and rancid as that is.

The OP and the link I provided at (current) #5 make somewhat different albeit complimentary points and it's at best indirectly to do with American (or if you view it as different, Southern) racism. It is true that Southern desire to protect and expand slavery became their causa belli. It's also true that the North had plenty of racists (at least by today's standandards) from Lincoln through, well past Reconstruction, Teddy Roosevelt, and to today. But slavery, the overt cause of the Civil War, and racism, our festering heritage, does not explain how poor white southern men felt duty and honor bound to die in such heroic numbers for the southern slave owners. I believe the OP and my link provide some insights into both that historical moment and how it continues today.

The OP is not about racism except as an associated phenomenon to southern white male exceptionalism, an interesting and complex set of issues. Just as various Northern peculiarities are complex and interesting. It's a shame that so many of the participants here only want to discuss the latter as a way of evading serious discussion of the former.

Don't you have anything better to do on July 4th or is your life really that dull, bleak, and boring? You're just as sick as Norman.

Ian McColgin
07-04-2015, 02:58 PM
You really have to build a boulder sized shoulder-chip to see anything here a Northerners claiming superiority over Southerners. Fortunately, many Southerners and others of "high honor" undertake self-examination and self-discipline on Washington's model and free themselves. Additionally, the South is undergoing radical social and demographic change that will make these phenomena less a regional issue and more a scattered experience, less regional and more various subcultures. Which means that the issues and how to deal with them will remain relevant.

hokiefan
07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
You really have to build a boulder sized shoulder-chip to see anything here a Northerners claiming superiority over Southerners. Fortunately, many Southerners and others of "high honor" undertake self-examination and self-discipline on Washington's model and free themselves. Additionally, the South is undergoing radical social and demographic change that will make these phenomena less a regional issue and more a scattered experience, less regional and more various subcultures. Which means that the issues and how to deal with them will remain relevant.

I guess I have said chip because I see it plain as day and it is getting extremely old.

Daniel Noyes
07-04-2015, 04:25 PM

"Northerners claiming superiority over Southerners"

but... you would have to be brain dead not to pick up on the air of superiority, self-righetousness, that Democrat posters have in this matter

lest Democrats forget...
the nastiest and most obnoxious racist acts here in the North have been carried out by Democrats as recently as the late 1970's, boston bussing riots, imigrants and their children, union members, Blue voters for life, shouting nasty racial slurs and throwing rocks at busses with african american students.

disgracefull behavior.

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 04:36 PM
but... you would have to be brain dead not to pick up on the air of superiority, self-righetousness. . .correct

Norman Bernstein
07-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Uhhhh, some people here need to chill. I posted the thread because I thought it was provocative and interesting; I don't have any particular animus towards the South, whatsoever....

....yet merely posting the thing has earned me a lot of blowback... Even an especially nasty message posted to, my Facebook account.

Id apologize, if it would help, although id have no clue as to what I was apologizing for. Anyone who was offended by the c&p has a problem with the author, not me. And anyone who thinks that I'm a 'miserable piece of sh|t'. for posting it has bigger problem than I can help with. I did NOT post it to disparage the South.... But anyone who thinks I did is profoundly wrong.

Paul Pless
07-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I posted the thread because I thought it was provocative. . .well, you were right. . . :D

CWSmith
07-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Even an especially nasty message posted to, my Facebook account.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound like adult behavior to me.

hokiefan
07-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Aww shucks...

skuthorp
07-04-2015, 04:42 PM
What an amazing and revelatory thread.

skuthorp
07-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Don't reveal your own chip Bobby……………..

Memphis Mike
07-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Don't reveal your own chip Bobby……………..

Exactly, treat them as sick people because they are.. Why give this bunch the satisfaction of knowing they got under our skin? Don't do anything unless they come in the yard. Then, beat their yankee asses and send them packing.:D If the civil war were to occur again today between the North and South, we know who would win. ;)

mdh
07-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I took it that southern boys was saving the US from being like Europe. They should be grateful.

Chip-skiff
07-04-2015, 07:00 PM
When I get sick of rotten politics, burnt grease, NASCAR, football mania, Confederate flags, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and macho bullcrap, I listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNN1luA1q8

Place is worth saving, I reckon.

Boater14
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
well, I do feel superior. superior to anyone dumb enough to think the reeps care about unborn life and guns. I feel superior to saps who vote against healthcare for their kids. I feel superior to hypocrites who crap on me and my life while I pay their bills. guilty as charged.

hokiefan
07-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Well bless your heart.

George Jung
07-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Nice pi$$ing match ya got started, norman.... fireworks on the 4th! Whoohoo!

Vince Brennan
07-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Aww shucks... Probably.

elf
07-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Curiously this entire thread is doing a fine job of demonstrating exactly what the original article has posited.

Breakaway
07-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Looks like Bo, Luke and the rest are.... YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHO1PprfmkY&sns=em (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHO1PprfmkY) Y'all really can't get off this subject can you? Why the fascination? Kinda flattering actually. dde0f

Funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

seanz
07-05-2015, 12:52 AM
“A lot of the traits that make the United States exceptional these days are undesirable, like higher violence and less social mobility. Many of these differences can be attributed largely to the South… Minus the South, the rest of the U.S. probably would be more like Canada or Australia or Britain or New Zealand—more secular, more socially liberal, more moderate in the tone of its politics and somewhat more generous in social policy. And it would not be as centralized as France or as social democratic as Sweden.”

You think Massachusetts could ever be as good as New Zealand? You're dreamin'.

PeterSibley
07-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Sean, let them maintain their illusions , it's kinder.:D

bobbys
07-05-2015, 02:15 AM
You think Massachusetts could ever be as good as New Zealand? You're dreamin'.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Red Sox fans are a obnoxious bunch.

seanz
07-05-2015, 03:44 AM
Sean, let them maintain their illusions , it's kinder.:D

It's Kinder alright...

Phillip Allen
07-05-2015, 03:53 AM
why do so many want to control other people? it's constant... whether it's the blacks, the whites, the Indians or regional people... controlled thinking (PC stuff)

it's all about control of others by people who obviously don't think it will affect them

Peerie Maa
07-05-2015, 05:53 AM
why do so many want to control other people? it's constant... whether it's the blacks, the whites, the Indians or regional people... controlled thinking (PC stuff)

it's all about control of others by people who obviously don't think it will affect them
It's a human trait. We have been doing it for millennia. It is tribal.

It was Jesus himself, in his final commission to his disciples, who taught, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matt. 28:18–20).

PeterSibley
07-05-2015, 06:01 AM
touché

Paul Pless
07-05-2015, 06:06 AM

it's all about control of others by people who obviously don't think it will affect themresistance is futile

Chris Coose
07-05-2015, 06:20 AM

Or in the case of Clarence Thomas...... have forgotten it would have affected him.
In 1967 it became legal for him to marry a white woman
In 2015 he is somehow unable to grant homosexuals the same dignity.

The maps of the marriage equality hold out states from 1967 and 2015 are pretty much identical.

Glen Longino
07-05-2015, 02:32 PM

Translation: Why do I, Phillip Allen want everyone to think what I think?
Can't people imagine what a better world it would be if everybody was like me, Phillip Allen?

Paul Pless
07-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Translationkeep your grubby hands off my precious

Chip-skiff
07-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Keep your grubby hands off my precioussss. . .

http://facesofnarcissism.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/gollum11_lrg.jpg

oznabrag
08-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Norman thinks I'm from Australia.

Norman Bernstein
08-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Norman thinks I'm from Australia.

I had NO idea you were from the South....

Reynard38
08-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Well we did secede, but y'all wanted us back so bad there was a war (it was in all the papers).

Careful what you ask for yankeeboy. ;)

Paul Pless
08-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Norman thinks I'm from Australia.that's funny

Waddie
08-09-2016, 04:51 PM

That's total bulll**** and you hating on the south again. Yeah, like we all want to be like France. I've lived in the South at times, and they are mostly friendly and gracious people. And race relations are often better in the South than in some areas of the North.

regards,
Waddie

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-09-2016, 04:52 PM
And, to be fair, South.

oznabrag
08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
that's funny

When he posted it, I fell over in my chair laughing.

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/tstone-vest3a.jpg

Paul Pless
08-09-2016, 05:23 PM
i bet you can't even pull off a credible crocodile dundee :D

Too Little Time
08-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Yes Dave, the study I mentioned emphasizes the cultural and yes the biology is opaque at best.

Guards and prisoners. It does not take much to make people slave owners.

oznabrag
08-09-2016, 05:30 PM
i bet you can't even pull off a credible crocodile dundee :D

I can do an Australian accent for about 5 seconds, but it would never fool a native.:D

oznabrag
08-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Here it is in a nutshell.

https://weeklysift.com/2014/08/11/not-a-tea-party-a-confederate-party/