PDA

View Full Version : Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff, Measuring the Seat Riser from the Strongback

Wildcat
07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Greetings. I am building a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff and would like some help on measuring for the seat riser. The plans show the location of the seat riser relative to the baseline (20 1/2"), but the boat is being built upside down so the reference point is actually the level strongback. The plans do not allow for measurement from the strongback although that is where I need to measure it from. The baseline is an imaginary line somewhere in the air above the upside down keel and the keel itself is not level. Any help in translating the reference point from the baseline to the strongback would be very, very much appreciated! Thanks, Mark

jsjpd1
07-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Draw in a line for the top of the strong back on your plans, then measure from there to get the measurement you need.

Thorne
07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Are you supposed to put interior parts like that in while the boat is inverted? I thought all that sort of thing would be done after you've flipped it over...

Unless the thwarts or riser support other elements in the skiff (like the CB case), the only critical thing is to get them both the same height from the interior of the bottom / floor / keelson.

Gib Etheridge
07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
You probably have the LWL marked on the forms. Once you've flipped the hull you can measure from there. Another option would be to mark the riser height on the forms measured from the sheer at each station.

andrewpatrol
07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Making it hard for yourself, flip it first for interior fit out! As Jim said put a reference mark on one of your moulds based on strong back line drawn on your plans, the use a laser or water tube ( carefully )