PDA

View Full Version : That's one way to get the engine out.

Kudzu
06-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Saw this kayaking this morning. She has been sitting there for a few years and this confirms my suspicion she is scrap.

http://i.imgur.com/lqdX0K0l.jpg

Woxbox
06-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Are you sure? The cut is above the waterline. Maybe they're going to start a dive business. |;)

Falcon1
06-30-2015, 11:47 AM
That's where the bay windows will go.

Rich Jones
06-30-2015, 12:20 PM
It's a shame that these big old cruisers are the last boats to get restored and the most likely to be scrapped. But, like they say, you can't save every puppy in the pound.

Bobcat
06-30-2015, 12:27 PM
There's guy with an old US Army T-boat, which is steel about 65 feet long. He wanted to repower. He cut a hole in the side of the hull, pulled the old engine, stuffed the new one in, and welded up the hole.

That's one advantage of steel

Bob Cleek
06-30-2015, 12:28 PM
If they were taking out an engine like that, there'd be no need to cut square openings on both sides of the hull. They look like elevator doors to me. He's the first guy in his marina to have a hanger deck on his boat!

M. J. Notigan
06-30-2015, 12:49 PM
There's guy with an old US Army T-boat, which is steel about 65 feet long. He wanted to repower. He cut a hole in the side of the hull, pulled the old engine, stuffed the new one in, and welded up the hole.

I saw on the web a few years back where my old CG river tender was undergoing a main engine change and this is exactly how the old mains came out and new ones installed. Much easier then ripping apart everything above the engine room.....

Bobcat
06-30-2015, 01:22 PM
I saw on the web a few years back where my old CG river tender was undergoing a main engine change and this is exactly how the old mains came out and new ones installed. Much easier then ripping apart everything above the engine room.....

That's what I concluded. I had to repower my boat last summer and I was glad that I have a steering shelter with curtains for doors and a back and not a solid pilot house

Mad Scientist
06-30-2015, 03:50 PM

That' not at all uncommon. Some newer ships have 'soft patches', which are large, removable hatches in the decks directly above equipment likely to need occasional removal/replacement.

Tom

WHYankee
06-30-2015, 03:58 PM
You're all wrong! She's being converted to a ferry for golf carts.