PDA

View Full Version : Handi Billy Filletting

Peterduncan
06-24-2015, 09:50 AM
I am building the Handi Billy that uses batten to cover the seems of the exterior planking. The planks are fitted using a spiling method, glued together (and to the batten) with pollyurathane glue, caulked with cotton and then caulked with marine caulking. Is it adavisable or necessary to fillet the batten plank intersection corners in the interior? It looks as if it would require a lot of work and material to do each batten.

wizbang 13
06-24-2015, 09:54 AM
To prevent water from pooling and sitting on the batten?
Maybe I am not following what you mean.
bruce

Peterduncan
06-24-2015, 11:02 AM
This is where the edge of the batten intersects with the plank and creates a small shelf. However , I think your question has given me the answer. Cleary water could pool on the battens and the fillet would water proof where the batten meets the plan. I wonder now if I could use just any caulk to seal that rather than epoxy with filler. It certainly would be a lot lest costly
\Peter

wizbang 13
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
or bevel the actual batten?
Sounds like you already have combined polyurethane with cotton.adding epoxy as an afterthought sounds a bit hinky.
maybe wait and see just how much water collects, deal with spots/ areas later. cheap caulk might actually trap water later, by letting go .
good paint may be all it needs.
bruce

Oldad
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Ask Harry

Peterduncan
06-24-2015, 01:45 PM
I am also thinking about strength.