PDA

View Full Version : Highest number of displaced people in the world since WWII

genglandoh
06-23-2015, 10:51 AM
There are now more than 50 million displaced people, highest since World War II
The war in Syria. The war in South Sudan. The conflicts in the Central African Republic, Iraq, Kenya and Afghanistan. It adds up.
There are now a staggering number of refugees, asylum-seekers and displaced people.
In fact, a U.N. agency reported Friday, the number in 2013 exceeded 50 million people.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/20/there-are-now-more-than-50-million-displaced-people-thats-the-highest-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/

Canoeyawl
06-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Bush...

Keith Wilson
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
As a percentage of the total? The world population is about three times what it was during WWII. Still too many, of course.

S.V. Airlie
06-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks Wiki, I mean Geng!

The Bigfella
06-23-2015, 05:33 PM
By-products of the sale of religious intolerance and the MIC

LeeG
06-23-2015, 08:31 PM
There are now more than 50 million displaced people, highest since World War II
The war in Syria. The war in South Sudan. The conflicts in the Central African Republic, Iraq, Kenya and Afghanistan. It adds up.
There are now a staggering number of refugees, asylum-seekers and displaced people.
In fact, a U.N. agency reported Friday, the number in 2013 exceeded 50 million people.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/20/there-are-now-more-than-50-million-displaced-people-thats-the-highest-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/

Imagine 15% of the U.S. becoming refugees after being invaded by a foreign country. That's what the Bush-Wolfowitz Doctrine did in Iraq. Greatest refugee crisis in the Middle East since WWII

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-25-2015, 04:14 PM
There are now more than 50 million displaced people, highest since World War II<br>
The war in Syria. The war in South Sudan. The conflicts in the Central African Republic, Iraq, Kenya and Afghanistan. It adds up.<br>
There are now a staggering number of refugees, asylum-seekers and displaced people.<br>
In fact, a U.N. agency reported Friday, the number in 2013 exceeded 50 million people.<br>
<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/20/there-are-now-more-than-50-million-displaced-people-thats-the-highest-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/" target="_blank">http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/20/there-are-now-more-than-50-million-displaced-people-thats-the-highest-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/</a>

Since the population of this planet is three or four times greater than it was 75 years ago that's to be expected. Even if we have no increases in warfare and bad weather we are bound to see even more displacement.

genglandoh
09-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Do you guys still think this is just about population growth?

Peerie Maa
09-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Since the population of this planet is three or four times greater than it was 75 years ago that's to be expected. Even if we have no increases in warfare and bad weather we are bound to see even more displacement.

However the area of land is still the same, and big bits of Africa are less able to support life than they were.

Paul Pless
09-08-2015, 07:14 PM
By-products of the sale of religious intolerance and the MICand a mere prelude to what climate change will bring upon us

BrianY
09-08-2015, 07:22 PM
So what? As long as they don't come here, who cares?

Oh...ah...sorry. I must have been channeling the Donald without realizing it.

Paul Pless
09-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Oh...ah...sorry. I must have been channeling ronw without realizing it.ftfy

LeeG
09-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Where did you get such a lame brained idea?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-08-2015, 09:12 PM

Don't worry Gengy, the USA doesn't have to worry about it. You can help create it, but you don't have to deal with it. As usual.

Osborne Russell
09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
They'll greet us with flowers and the war will pay for itself.

genglandoh
09-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Don't worry Gengy, the USA doesn't have to worry about it. You can help create it, but you don't have to deal with it. As usual.

Yes I know.
1. The Dems voted for the wars in the middle east.
2. The Dems took credit for the hard work Bush did to win the wars and stabilize the Middle East
3. The Dems took credit for the Arab spring in the beginning when it was moving the middle east toward democracy.
4. The Dems then did not support the Arab spring and then blamed Bush when it went bad.
5. The Dems then pulled all our troops out of Iraq opening the door for ISIS.

Yes the Dems actions created the mess we have today in the middle east then they just ignore it and blame Bush.

Norman Bernstein
09-09-2015, 08:09 AM
2. The Dems took credit for the hard work Bush did to win the wars and stabilize the Middle East

Now I'm POSITIVE that you live in an alternative universe.

Is it a nice place to live?

genglandoh
09-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Where did you get such a lame brained idea?

From these posts.

As a percentage of the total? The world population is about three times what it was during WWII. Still too many, of course.

varadero
09-09-2015, 08:26 AM
From 2011, M. Gaddafi..

Qaddafi's latest gambit: Convince the European public that they really want him to stick around, with all the stability that entails.
He spoke today to TV network France 24.
This quote (via Reuters (http://af.reuters.com/article/cameroonNews/idAFLDE7260W420110307?sp=true)) certainly stands out: "There are millions of blacks who could come to the Mediterranean to cross to France and Italy, and Libya plays a role in security in the Mediterranean."
Bear in mind that after the fall of Tunisia's Ben Ali, Italy (http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFLDE7260I920110307) has seen a wave of immigrants that continue today.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/qaddafi-warns-france-if-i-go-down-you-will-be-flooded-with-millions-of-blacks-2011-3#ixzz3lFP62Z9u

Reuters...

"But in the past few years foreign governments, especially in southern Europe, have relied on Libyan help to stem the flow of sub-Saharan Africans migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean, and there has also been some cooperation in combating al Qaeda."

RonW
09-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Oh...ah...sorry. I must have been channeling ronw without realizing it.

ftfy

Speaking about fixing that for you.............

http://yearofserendipity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/millie-w6-bathroom.jpg

genglandoh
09-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Now I'm POSITIVE that you live in an alternative universe.

Is it a nice place to live?

Some supporting material.
Please include in your next post
1. How this information is misleading.
2. How this thread title is intentionally loaded

Dec 2011-Barack Obama declares Iraq war a success
Barack Obama marked an end to a war he once described as "dumb" by declaring the conflict in Iraq a success and saying the last US troops will leave in the coming days with their "heads held high".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/dec/14/barack-obama-iraq-war-success

07/05/2010 - Biden sees Iraq success for Obama
BAGHDAD — Vice President Joe Biden said after a three-day trip to Baghdad that the American people will see President Barack Obama’s Iraq policy as a success when the “combat mission” ends on schedule Aug. 31. Biden said the administration “will be able to point to it and say, ‘We told you what we’re going to do, and we did it.’”
www.politico.com/story/2010/07/biden-sees-iraq-success-for-obama-039372#ixzz3lFRhS5rA (http://www.politico.com/story/2010/07/biden-sees-iraq-success-for-obama-039372#ixzz3lFRhS5rA)

February 12, 2010 - Republicans Object to Biden Taking Credit for Success in Iraq
As senators, Barack Obama and Joe Biden both opposed the troop surge in Iraq -- and Biden even wanted to divide the country into three sections.
But as vice president, Biden is taking credit for success in Iraq.
"I am very optimistic about Iraq," he said. "I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/11/republicans-object-biden-taking-credit-success-iraq/

LeeG
09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Yes I know.
1. The Dems voted for the wars in the middle east.
3. The Dems took credit for the Arab spring in the beginning when it was moving the middle east toward democracy.
4. The Dems then did not support the Arab spring and then blamed Bush when it went bad.
5. The Dems then pulled all our troops out of Iraq opening the door for ISIS.

Yes the Dems actions created the mess we have today in the middle east then they just ignore it and blame Bush.

Bizarre

Norman Bernstein
09-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Some supporting material.
Please include in your next post
1. How this information is misleading.
2. How this thread title is intentionally loaded

Believe it or not, there is always a difference between rhetoric and reality.... and even though I'm an Obama supporter, I discount the rhetoric and look at the reality.

Perhaps you don't remember the neo-cons telling us, before the war, that it would be over in six months, that it would cost only $20B or so, and that Iraqi oil revenues would pay for it all.

You probably don't remember Dick Cheney saying that 'deficits don't matter'.

The simple truth is that US (and other colonial powers) meddling in the Middle East is responsible for most of the turmoil, and always has been.... and it started more than a century ago.

So, you want to accuse Obama and Biden of making 'false' statements? Sure, why not... I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them now. I DO believe, however, that the Iraq war was a monumental mistake, undertaken on trumped-up evidence and far worse false statements, and Obama did a great deal to clean up the mess. What remains is largely the fault of the Iraqis, Syrians, Iran, and the other players in the area.

Now that we have THAT cleared up, are you going to believe the right wing GOP candidates who are beating the drums for even MORE war in the Middle East?

Which ones do YOU believe?

genglandoh
09-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Believe it or not, there is always a difference between rhetoric and reality.... and even though I'm an Obama supporter, I discount the rhetoric and look at the reality.

Perhaps you don't remember the neo-cons telling us, before the war, that it would be over in six months, that it would cost only $20B or so, and that Iraqi oil revenues would pay for it all.

You probably don't remember Dick Cheney saying that 'deficits don't matter'.

The simple truth is that US (and other colonial powers) meddling in the Middle East is responsible for most of the turmoil, and always has been.... and it started more than a century ago.

So, you want to accuse Obama and Biden of making 'false' statements? Sure, why not... I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them now. I DO believe, however, that the Iraq war was a monumental mistake, undertaken on trumped-up evidence and far worse false statements, and Obama did a great deal to clean up the mess. What remains is largely the fault of the Iraqis, Syrians, Iran, and the other players in the area.

Now that we have THAT cleared up, are you going to believe the right wing GOP candidates who are beating the drums for even MORE war in the Middle East?

Which ones do YOU believe?

Thank you for admitting that I was not making it up.
Apology accepted.

Norman Bernstein
09-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Thank you for admitting that I was not making it up.
Apology accepted.

You haven't answered the question. If you're going to accuse Obama, Biden, et. al., of making false statements, then who are the truth-tellers?

Specific names, please.

genglandoh
09-09-2015, 09:31 AM
You haven't answered the question. If you're going to accuse Obama, Biden, et. al., of making false statements, then who are the truth-tellers?

Specific names, please.

Obama and Biden got it right Iraq and the middle east was stable BEFORE they screwed it up.
What they got wrong was by taking credit for a stable Iraq and middle east.

skuthorp
09-09-2015, 04:28 PM
"2. The Dems took credit for the hard work Bush did to win the wars and stabilize the Middle East"
LOL!

LeeG
09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Obama and Biden got it right Iraq and the middle east was stable BEFORE they screwed it up.
What they got wrong was by taking credit for a stable Iraq and middle east.

It's obvious you have a comic book/chicken hawk understanding of the invasion of Iraq. There are many books you could pick up to educate yourself about what happened. The invasion turned millions of Iraqis into refugees, put 750,000 military and former leaders onto the streets, sectarian "cleansing" supported by the U.S. changed Baghdad. U.S. Forces were totally inadequate to secure a post invasion plan. The foundation for civil war was created, not stability.
You embrace disinformation without the ability to discern facts from propaganda. It's been 12 yrs, there is no excuse for your level of ignorance. A 20yr old who was seven at the time of the invasion could have easily learned in the last few years what you have refused to process for 12.